• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Identity in Character Choice. Analysis of why we main

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Character Choice is the single most important decision you'll make when learning a fighting game.
and seeing how in ultimate we're all about to start this process all over again I thought it would be interesting to take a deeper dive into why we choose the characters we do.

This is a subject that always fascinated me. always trying to understand why people choose the characters that they do.
each individual's reasoning for their choice in main can very greatly, but when you break them down to their base roots you'll find some connective tissue between their vastly different decisions. and I believe at the core of it all, is a question of identity.

Now there are essentially 3 different factor's all players consider when choosing a main. and the kind of player they are depends on how much they favor one criteria over another.
now this is not to say there are only 3 types of players. I don't believe in putting people into boxes to be ticked, I think it's far more accurate to think of people's attributes as being on a sliding scale from 1 side to the other. so like someone isn't strictly just an Introvert or an extrovert. but they are somewhere within that scale

E [ --- --- --- --] I
E [ -------@-] I

likewise with these factor's think of them as being on sliding scales of for each individual person.

The first factor I wanna talk about is TIER:
this scale I see as being from Top tier mains to Low tier mains. T [---------] L

At the most extreme side of T you have the guys who will wanna find who is the number 1 character in the game and main them. these guys care about winning and will do whatever it takes to be at the top. and at the other end you have the low tier gods. the people who specifically wanna play one of the worst characters in the game and they wear it as a badge of honor. sure they probably are not gonna win any big tournaments. but instead they live for those moments when they can take a set off a remarkable player and be remembered as that guy who beat a PR player with smash 4 Jigglypuff.

Here's the interesting thing I realized at the heart of this factor. it's not about those who wanna win and those who don't. everyone wants to win. it's about what is more important to you. having the best tools thus a better chance and being the best, or having a unique identity within your community. because the higher you go up the tier list the more likely you are to have a whole bunch of other players also maining your character. so while you may do better in tournament you're also more likely to just be another face in the crowd. while the low tier main may do worse in tournament, people will be more likely to remember you as the guy who mains Zelda.

That said the top tier main can still gain more recognition within their group if they are able to place well enough and make a name for themselves. and the low tier main may actually do well in tournament, they are just trying to do so with a bigger disadvantage.
also there is a lot of variety in the middle. like the mid tier who thinks his character is far better then people realize. or the high tier main who wants to win. but still can't quite bring themselves to go top tier. etc

Second factor is Aesthetic:
How do you connect to the character you choose on a personal and aesthetic level. the scale for this is far more simple. it's just a matter of if you care about the character's aesthetic or if it's seen as irrelevant to you.
the reason's someone connects to a character Aesthetically can very wildly. from liking a characters look, personality, gender, having a personal connection with their games. or just any kind of random silly thing about a character that just makes you smile. like say for example Peach's "Oh did I win?" remark on the victory screen.

Oh random tip. if you're the kind of player that needs to connect aesthetically with a character in order to play them. and you find a character that looks interesting for other factors but you can't connect with them Aesthetically. try playing their games, or looking up other material that gives you insight into who they are.

When you choose to main a character you're in a way associated with them. and if you do choose them in part due to aesthetic it can say something about you. (not a lot, but some)
So this does play into your identity as a player. they are the avatar in which you choose to enact your will.
and their Aesthetic even plays into the 3rd Factor

Playstyle:​
Picking a character based off your playstyle I feel may be the hardest thing to do of these 3. I don't think anyone can really tell you what your playstyle is. there is something so raw and physical about this factor. when a character clicks with you in this factor for a character, something just feels right, like the character fits your hands. it's something hard to explain but you know when it's right.

Luckily the character's Aesthetic factor can help lead you to the one that fits this factor as well. if a character is designed right these two should match pretty well.
but then again sometimes what you need from a character playstyle wise can be very specific. me for example I need fast frame data on at least some moves. so in brawl I loved playing King Dedede. but in smash 4 when he lost his old down tilt and back air that broke the character for me and I can't go back.

as for the scale for this one there are 2 different ones. one is just how important playstyle is. I feel for most people it's heavy towards having a character fit. while there are some other players who are more adaptable and willing to learn whatever playstyle a character has so long as they fit them in the other factors.

now the scale I'm more interested in. is for the character specific playstyles. because at the core I think there are only 2 playstyles.

Rushdown [---------] Zoner

now how heavy a character leans towards one or the other. and in what ways a character invokes these playstyles is where all the variety comes from.
Rosalina and Toon link can both be considered Zoners. but how they do their zoning is very different.
and there are characters in the middle who can both one or rushdown.

but the character isn't the sole one determining playstyle. the player can incorporate either into their play depending on how they utilize the character. there is a lot of room for self expression in one's play. a Rosalina can choose to be more aggressive, and a Shiek can needle camp you. but some characters are more suited for certain styles.

and how your style forms again plays into your identity as a player. are you cold and calculated, trying to control the pace of the match. or maybe your wild and aggressive, wanting to break through your opponents defenses and show off with big combos and crazy plays. these styles can paint you in different lights. typically the Zoners are seen as the heels and the rushdown players are seen as the faces. but that isn't always true. Pac man is a zoner who is a face, and Bayonetta is a rushdown who is a heel.

Which of the factors you favor. and to what degrees, and in what ways I think is how we come to our own conclusions on who we main.​

As for myself I will only play a character who I think is gonna do good in tournament. but won't go for the number 1 unless I like them
T [-@-------] L
I need to have a strong personal connection with the character. but can be lenient if they fit my playstyle well enough and are good enough
A [---------] X
And I like a good inbetween of Rushdown and Zoning. either wanting a rushdown character that has some projectiles and or means to get past zoning. or a zoner that has enough speed to be aggressive if needed. as well as their own means to combat other zoners.
I can adapt to playstyles not my own to a degree. but that is mainly just making them fit within what I'd normally be trying to do.
R [---- --- --- -] Z
P [-@-------] A

So in smash 4 I ended up dual maining Mario and Rosalina & Luma.

if you read through all this thank you! kinda just getting all my thoughts out. was originally thinking of this as a answer to all those "who should I main?" questions and videos i've seen through the years. but not actually sure if it helps any :p so instead writing it as a piece to just better understand how the character choosing process goes.

what do you think? how does this process of defining main selection apply to you? any thoughts as to how I could improve this hypothesis? any questions?

EDIT: I some how Ated --- --- using one of my slider things xD

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
For me, it all comes down to the character that I like the most. The same could be said for many others, and in general it’s the most recommended way to pick your main. You don’t need to worry about tier lists unless you’re playing at a competitive level as they won’t be useful when an inexperienced Sheik player loses to an experienced Puff player in Smash 4. I’ve seen a lot of newcomers in various fighting games try to go for the most busted character to start off with only to get schooled by veteran players simply because they don’t know the fundamentals.

Then there’s the struggle of characters that I find aesthetically pleasing but lack the play style I desire, and vice versa. For instance, I’m a Street Fighter buff, so you’d think I’d play as Ryu most of the time. However, he’s not my all-time favorite character from that series and I would prefer to have another SF rep take his place. In contrast, I don’t really care about Marth nor Fire Emblem yet I find his tools intriguing, and seeing how he’s both simplistic and potent, he can certainly help me grasp the fundamentals much quicker than I would with Ryu, despite his status in SF as a “beginner” character. I like playing characters that can space from a safe distance (i.e., SFV Karin), so Marth is a perfect choice for me.

This is all just from my personal experience, so it would be interesting to see how others pick their mains.

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Well playstyle is the most important for me. I need a move set that feels natural and works well with how I play. Doesn't matter if a character is considered high tier, if I hate their move set I wont do good with them anyway. I won most of my Sm4sh matches with Charizard until Mewtwo was added in.

Anyway I like monsters and think I play kind of like a pirate. Recently I actually had a friend of a friend say I look like a friendly pirate. So K. Rool and Ridely seem promising.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
This sounds almost exaclty like a video I saw about fighting games from this youtuber, Core-A Gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGHGEttNjyo

As for me, I prioritize aesthetics, followed by playstyle. There's times I can perform fairly well with characters I don't like, but when I do like a character I will play them over and over again and develop familiarity with their playstyle and tools as a result.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
I prioritize playstyle over aesthetics, and i never really cared about tiers, as long as the character feels right in my hands ill keep playing them and learn their kit eventually. The aesthetics don't matter as much because well...most of the characters i play, i already like aesthetically.

Last edited:

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
I don't care about tiers, so my factors for choosing mains are playstyle and asthetics.

:ulttoonlink: is my #1 main because I enjoy his playstyle and design. I never played any of his games but I enjoy cute characters whose prominent color is green. (As you can probably tell from my avatar and username lol)
:squirtle: is my #2 main because I enjoy it's playstyle and Pokémon is my favorite game series. It's one of my favorite starters.

:ultluigi: is my #3 main because I enjoy his playstyle and he's my favorite Mario character. (His representative color being green plays a part in this haha)

I can't main someone just because of asthetics though. :ultgreninja: is one of my favorite Pokémon and :ultness: is the protagonist of my favorite game so I was tempted to main both but they didn't click with me that much.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
It's aesthetic to me. Always has been, always will be. I main Robin in Smash 4 and Ultimate because I liked his character in Awakening and I grew attached to him.

Tiers and playstyle don't matter to me. If I happen to like a character for whatever reason, I'll put the effort towards getting better as them, no matter what their playstyle might be or how low they place on a tier list.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
This seems fun, I'll do one for myself.

All characters I main/prefer tend to be on the lower end of the tier list. In Smash 4 my go-to guy was King Dedede, who was one of the four worst characters in the game. Other characters I enjoy tend to be mid to bottom tiers.
T [-------X-] L

Aesthetics are incredibly important to me. A character could be the most fun on the roster to play as to me, but if they're some sword guy with minimal facial features... no thanks, I'll pass. The characters I tend to prefer are ones making use of distinct art direction or heavy stylization, or simply characters based on some of my favorite animals (namely reptiles and invertebrates, thank you based Ultimate for adding both!).
Being familiar with the characters home series is usually a plus, but I've enjoyed a number of characters whos series I've never touched.
A [X--------] X

Zoning is my preferred playstyle. I like feeling save and keeping my distance, combo strings really arn't that cool. This behavior is considered a heel deal? That's fine, my aforementioned favorite animals are considered by many the heels of the animal kingdom, so why would my tastes be different for fighting game characters?
Rushdown characters just feel so slippery, as if you soaped up your hands before playing. How do people manage to even control those properly??
R [------X--] Z

For reference, the characters I like:
:ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultlucas::ultvillager::ultzelda::4miigun::ivysaur:

Last edited:

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Top Tier [-------X-] Low Tier

I don't care at all of the tier list. I'm more into playing characters that are Mid-Low Tier to get the impression to be good when I beat Top Tier characters. But generally if a character is Low-Thrash Tier, it mean that the character have a bad or lazy playstyle so... I also prefer Dr. Mario over Mario just because Dr. Mario is less good that Mario for some reason.

Aesthetics [-X-------] Don't Care

The aesthetics is really important for me. I main Luigi because he is my favorite Nintendo character and I like his design. I play a lot G&W too because I love his design, it's so fun to play as him with his 2D and unexpressive face but I like R.O.B. but I don't like his design a lot.

Rushdown [----X----] Zoning

I don't care if the playstyle is more into rushdown or zoning. I main Luigi who is more into rushdown but I like playing Link who is more into zoning. So it's 50/50 for me.

Playstyle [X--------] Don't Care

For me the playstyle is reaaaaally important for the characters. Luigi is so pleasant with his heavy-combo playstyle. You just down-throw and then you follow up by what you want (F-Air, D-Air, Up-Air...) and I love that you can improvise like that. I love his down-taunt, his up-b and his misfire. I love Yoshi too because he is so fast in the air, you can chase the ennemy for sick moves. I love his up-b too...

Main: Luigi

Secondaries: Yoshi, G&W, Corrin, Dr. Mario

D

Deleted member

I'm more defensive, counter offensive type of player. I like spacing my opponent out, i like my opponents to approach me rather than i approach. And most importantly, i like being different. If something is trendy or if something is used by more people, i like being the outcast and being different, (a lone wolf i guess you could say.

So when i starting playing Zelda, her move set was pretty much what i was going for. Defensive, counter offensive. Her move set is simple, cut to the chase, so i really liked that. I realized she wasn't finished in melee, and she had a clear cut disadvantage over most of the cast, but i didn't care, and decided to main her in every Smash game.

Tiers don't matter to me, you play who you like, what move set suits you, and most importantly, who you do the best with. Beating top tiers is also the best feeling in the world, because you know you worked hard at it, and no one can tell you you won because of how broken your character is or how cheap you play.

Ultimately, ( see what i did there) for me i just play what im best at. And if it means i lose over and over because of my character picking, than that just mean i gotta focus more and change up my gameplay and be better and predicting my opponent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I plan on maining everyone this time.
There really is no analysis of why. I feel like appreciating how much effort they put into this game.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Ok, not main, but get used too/good with. I want to go beyond just trying a character then never using them again for six months until I have a bunch of friends over.
Lots of people do that to a degree though. Like streamers doing iron man challenges and the like.
That still fails to justify the logic of what a main is. It winds up meaning exactly the same as maining no one, or just playing random for fun.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
To me it's mostly personal attachment/nostalgia to the characters I main (:ultkrool::ultdk::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultmario::ultganondorf::ultbowser::ultwario::ultdiddy::ultfalco::ultlittlemac::ultdarksamus::ultbowserjr:) are good examples of this and other times is I enjoy their playstyles and while I have played their games and enjoy them as characters as well they don't mean as much to me as characters listed above and this teir consists of.. :ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultlink::ultroy::ultchrom::ultridley::ultvillager::ultmewtwo::ultduckhunt: :ultdarkpit: :ultkingdedede: :ultfalcon::ultike:and that's basically all it is to it for me.

Their are characters I love on the roster as characters like :ultrosalina::ultkirby::ultmetaknight: (post Brawl), :ultfox: :ultluigi::ultpikachu: :ultsamus:and :ultsonic: but their playstyles just aren't for me. I've tried to get these characters into my rotation many a time but I simply can't do it. I'll still play them VERY casually though.

As you can tell by my MAIN "mains" in my signature I prefer heavyweights and villains. Yes my personality shines through with them I like to feel evil, it's fun being bad in a videogame. I also like the power heavyweights give off. KO'ing your opponent with a fully charged smash attack and sending them flying with a heavyweight is SO satisfying to me. The DOMINANCE feeling is amazing to me.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Tiers I don't care much for them but if I had to choose it'd probably be in the middle. So that I have a character that is effective but not totally overpowering so I can't be criticized for picking the cream of the crop. I don't like completely dominating people but I also like to have a challenge.

When it comes to Aesthetic I like to think this doesn't affect me as much as it does but it certainly does to some degree because there are definitely certain things I find aesthetically pleasing and on the flip-side certain aesthetic things will be a total turn off when choosing a character. As such, I might put the scale somewhere in the middle but I can't say exactly.

Playstyle I believe is the biggest factor for me and if I were to summarize it I'd say it'd be a balanced rush-down character. Putting me somewhere between complete rushdown and the middle. Perhaps slightly more towards the middle.
-Edit; I realize I've combined the two and mostly talk about the rushdown/zoner category but I'll some up the playstyle point by saying I actually enjoy very many playstyles to the point where I'll play as 'random' just for fun as it provides nice variety.
As an example, some of my favorite characters which fit with these points are :ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultyoshi::ultgreninja::ultfalco::ultswordfighter:
Some of the outliers that are also favorites are :ultpalutena::ultlink::ultcorrinf::ultsquirtle::ultsonic::ultmetaknight::ultlucina:

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I personally never based my mains off of tiers. I base my mains off of three things.

1. How they flow with my playstyle. If I don’t like how the character feel or if they do not flow with my play style, then I probably will not pick them. I really wanted to like :ultkrool::ultlucario: :ultwario:and :ultisabelle:, but they just feel off for different reasons and I always just feel lost when I play as them.

2. My attachment to the character. This is not a huge issue, but I generally play as characters that I know and like more than ones I barely know. There are exceptions such as :ultpalutena: and :ultsimon:, but I enjoy playing a fighting game as some of my favorite Nintendo characters. I would not even consider using :ultyoshi: and :ultpacman: let alone maining them if I was not as attached to them as I am. Even though I don’t play as :ultkirby: as much as I use to, I still pick him up for fun because Kirby is my favorite Nintendo character of all time. He is still plenty of fun to play as!

3. If I am any good with them. There are many characters that I like to play as, but I am just not very good with such as :ultpokemontrainerf::ultsnake::ultzss::ultsheik: and :ultinkling::ultinklingboy:. For me, I have to have faith in my skill with my characters and that is why Yoshi, Pac-Man and Palutena are my mains. I perform best with those characters and whenever I play as one of those three, I will always do better with them than I would do with random top tier characters.

Last edited:

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
I like wolf because he was a complete badass in lylat wars (his theme blew me all the way back) so I've mained him in brawl/pm/ult regardless of tier, he has good aesthetics and I like eyepatches for some reason (I main sagat in all SF games he's in)

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
For me tiers don't determine what characters I choose, I usually pick ones that appeal to me in terms of character and how fun they are to play.

In terms of play style, I'm kind of a trickster who's hard to catch with a small combo thrown in.

My choice of characters usually consist of:ultdiddy::ultjigglypuff::ultisabelle::ultvillagerf::ultwendy: :ultinkling::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ulticeclimbers:.

There are I also enjoy using though not as much as the ones above :ultganondorf::ultwolf::ultluigi::ultzelda::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultbowser::ultlucas::ultincineroar::ultken:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I main Samus because in 1994 at daycare, a friend of mine brought Super Metroid for the SNES. I don't main Samus for reasons regarding tiers. I do have wants for my main so she's a better character, but I would be annoyed by those who would pick her up because she's viable. (I think Samus is mid-tier in SSBU. Whether or not that's viable, I can't say.) With Samus, I play it safe. I'm evasive and I try to get my opponent to chase me. When forced to be up close and personal, I go for quick attacks like jab and tilts. Playing it safe is my best choice.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
My main is Link :ultlink: .
I play him because he is my favorite Nintendo hero. I knew him since i was a child. Also he has many options to play and approache enemies. Either using his sword or using his projectiles. Last thing i really like is his remote bomb. It’s the key to so many interesting combinations.

My secondaries are Ness :ultness: and fox :ultfox:.

Ness because i like his arial game and PSI Magnet based combo game and fox because of his awesome speed and combos.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'm a 90's edgelord who likes dark demon chaos lords of evil, and I'm an anime fan who loves brutal, strong style characters like Broly in DBZ. Put those together and you get Smash Dorf.

remilia

Smash Cadet
Top Tier [-----X---] Low Tier

I don't really care about tier lists and where characters place. I put the X a little more leaning to low tier since most of my mains tend to be low tier nowadays. However, the characters just so happen to be low tier rather than me picking them because they are low tier. I still use high tier characters sometimes like Daisy since I love her (altho I can't pull off her tech lol) and Palutena.

Aesthetics [X--------] Don't Care

This is pretty much the defining factor for me in how I play a character. Even if a character seems amazing competitively and fits my playstyle really well, if I don't like their aesthetic I probably won't use them. My current mains are all characters I'm really attached to and love for who they are rather than how they play (although that's certainly a factor too)

Playstyle [---X-----] Don't Care

This is a big factor for me because there are some playstyles I can't get into. For example, "super speedy light characters" like Pichu and Squirtle are not what I prefer, so even though I like them I don't play them. However, if I am attached to a character well enough, I will try and pick them up no matter their playstyle and adapt. I told myself I'd play Daisy no matter how hard she was to play. When I picked up Duck Hunt, it took me a VERY long time to get into the playstyle, but I did it anyways cuz I love my doggo.

Rushdown [--X------] Zoning

I lean heavily towards rushdown playstyles even though I have characters that lean toward zoning. I tend to play them more aggressively (without completely forgetting their zoning tools of course). Even though aesthetics is my primary motivator in picking a character, if they are pure zoner and don't have rushdown tools, I probably wouldn't pick them though. Like, if I liked the Belmonts aesthetics a lot I still probably wouldn't play them because I really don't like playing as a zoner, but Duck Hunt has enough tools for close combat and zoning this time around that I can play them the way I like.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm one of the boring types who just plays whatever character feels the best for me. It's why who I'd call my "main" changes every game. I've learned from trying to main Mewtwo in this game that if a character doesn't work for me, they don't work for me, and I'm not gonna try to shove a round peg into a square hole and act like it fits, character loyalty be damned. Having a pre-established fondness for the character helps a lot, but for the most part, it all comes down to playstyle. More specifically, I'd say I tend to like "weird" characters; I don't like playing folks like Mario or Fox much because they just feel too vanilla and bland for my tastes, and I also don't really have fast enough fingers to play traditional rushdown-style characters anyway, so I usually gravitate towards zoners/bait-and-punishers. (Though I usually play aggressively with those characters rather than passively.) As a result, I usually don't end up playing high-tier characters - S4 Mewtwo was the exception.

So if I had to rate myself on the scales you provided, OP, I'd probably put it at something like this:

Top Tier [-----X---] Low Tier

Aesthetics [--X------] Don't Care

Rushdown [-----X---] Zoning

Playstyle [X--------] Don't Care

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The most imoprtant to me is FUN.
Aesthetics, Playstyle and how Good a character is (in my hands) are all important too, especially for the competitive side.

I like both rushdown and zoners, and my ideal character is one that can do both. Else I tend to prefer rushdown a bit more than zoning.
Also, I tend to prefer fast characters, in general. But I dont like when it's hard to ko with them or they're so light that i cant make mistakes.

I try to play characters that have a little bit of everything I like, and unfortunately it's hard to find a perfect character, so I use multiple. But I'm okay playing a bunch for now. Maybe that'll change as I get more familiar, or a dlc character i really like comes along. :)
I think it's pretty cool that some people are able to be satisfied with just one character.

Top Bottom