• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideas on how to make Judge not randon

Sinque

Smash Rookie
I couldn’t find any threads on this, so I apologize if there were.

Maybe it’s just me, but I really hate how judge is completely random. You can either damage yourself or kill the enemy and if you ask me that amount of randomness doesn’t belong in a fast paced skill based game.

I would fix the way it works by making the move more of a quest to get high numbrs (also make 1 better and 9 worse).

I have two ideas;

1. Successfully hitting and opponent with judge will increase G&W’s number by 2 or 3. However, the player can hold side b to make the number go up only by one, but their current attack is empowered in the thing that makes it unique, the freeze on 8 is longer, powerful trip on 2, etc. This gives G&W more versatility however it forces him to use judge a lot to get the 9. (But getting powerful variants of lower numbers isn’t hard).

2. Attacking temporarily increases G&W’s number. Each attack (depending on the strength) will increase the judge number for a few seconds, attacking will refresh the duration. Basically, at the end of a combo, G&W can K.O. with more ease. However, this idea limits use of the other numbers.

P.S. Am I the only one who dislikes the luck factor?

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Well, if you hate the randomness, just go with Combo Judge. Much more consistent for damage racking, all numbers are safe on hit and lead to similar followups, and 9 is still completely broken.

I personally like the stantard Judge because of how hype it can be to land a 6, 8 or 9 and get the stock. The only thing I would change would be the 7: I would make it spawn a 2-d apple that heals around 20% and/ or make the hit untechable so it at least has some niche. Right now 7 is the least useful of the hammers discounting 1 and 2. At least 3, 4 and 5 lead to followups, 6 can set up an edgeguard or outright kill at 100% or more, and we all know what 8 and 9 do. But 7... just a medium hit that will never ever KO, won't lead to anything, and leaves an apple that heals less than the recoil from 1.

And maybe make it so if G&W breaks someone's shield, and he successfully hits the victim with side-B in 80 frames or less, he gets a guaranteed 9. if he hits someone else within that window, even if the hit also connects witht he stunned opponent, he gets a guaranteed 1 instead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can see where you are coming from. Personally, If I wanted to utilize luck-based elements, I'd sooner turn on Mario Party. Now, I rarely use the move myself 'cause of the possible recoil damage you take. I remember reading somewhere that in Melee at least, you never get a 1 within the first two uses, which I think is bull****. I can use it only once or twice in the whole match and still get a 1. That's my story.

That said, take advice from me, a 56-year-old female Smasher: leave the randomness factor and the Judge 9 alone. However, I will agree with you on making the Judge 1 better. I'd make it work the same way as Extreme Judge. You do play with custom special moves, right? Also, the 1 and 9 have a combined 16⅔% chance of showing up. Other than that, you can voice your opinions on the How Would You Patch SSB4 thread.

You have to remember the random nature of Judge is such that you should not expect a powerful effect every time. No one said you should be relying on this move anyway.

Sayonara :kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinque

Smash Rookie
I can see where you are coming from. Personally, If I wanted to utilize luck-based elements, I'd sooner turn on Mario Party. Now, I rarely use the move myself 'cause of the possible recoil damage you take. I remember reading somewhere that in Melee at least, you never get a 1 within the first two uses, which I think is bull****. I can use it only once or twice in the whole match and still get a 1. That's my story.

That said, take advice from me, a 56-year-old female Smasher: leave the randomness factor and the Judge 9 alone. However, I will agree with you on making the Judge 1 better. I'd make it work the same way as Extreme Judge. You do play with custom special moves, right? Also, the 1 and 9 have a combined 16⅔% chance of showing up. Other than that, you can voice your opinions on the How Would You Patch SSB4 thread.

You have to remember the random nature of Judge is such that you should not expect a powerful effect every time. No one said you should be relying on this move anyway.

Sayonara :kirby:
I also don't use judge much because either I am wasting my time or get a cheesy K.O. The only exception is when I am behind and need to kill quickly. Additionally the lack of disjoint and speed compared to some of G&W's other moves goes against how I play the character.

Overall I would consider G&W's specials to not be particularly strong and don't use them as much as I would like. However it would be better if judge could be a more reliable K.O. option after a combo.

Also thanks for the link to thread and I apologize if I violated any rules. I am new to these forums and I was unaware of the thread.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Don't worry, this thread was literally made yesterday.

rav10li

Smash Rookie
NNID
rav10li
3DS FC
0190-2809-7564
I feel like Judge being random is a cornerstone of the G&W philosophy – change it up, random approach, never be predictable. It's why I love the character so much tbh. Plus there's nothing more hype than a well-timed 9 let's be honest :D

Top Bottom