• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideas for Smash

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
This is just a list of ideas I had come up with which could be beneficial to smash bros’ game play.
I feel as though I’m gearing these ideas more towards smash 4 but they could be applied to project m as well. I wanted a seasoned community’s opinion on how these would play out. Please keep an open mind. This being my first post I guess I should start off by saying I’ve played smash since the 64 version but I’ve been getting more into the meta game (1 year). My MC is a secret.

So I came to the realization the other day that the majority of melee and project m’s game play is based around aerials. From Movement (wave dashing) to combat (shffling) it seems that if you were to remove jumping from a single round of project m, it would play out very …blandly.

In order to balance this flaw I’ve come up with two ideas
1. Remove Wave dashing (change the mid air dodge)

Before you get up in arms, hear me out. Wave dashing was just a glitch and while it added depth to the game, I feel it took away from rolling and straight up dashing.

The solution I’ve come up with: Smash attack charging should be cancel-able with a dash (not a walk or a run but a dash). Basically when a character is charging their smash attack, allow them to smash the control stick forward or backward which would cancel the charge and initiate a quick dash. The idea was to give the characters the same momentum and gliding ability of a wave dash but w/ maybe ¾ the distance and half the dash animation being played. After canceling if the player holds the direction, they’ll keep running or if they let go they’ll stand still but glide across the stage wave dash style. A temporary name I came up with is SADDLING: Smash Attack Dash Dance canceLING or Smash stepping. idk. The name doesn’t matter.

2. Give Every character a magic series

I know what you’re thinking and yes it will be in turbo mode. But my idea was to add a simple magic series which puts more emphasis on the ground game. Basically the series would be as follows: Jab>Tilt>Smash>dash (smash-step or SADDLING)>special. Everything would work the same as it did for lucario and for the future turbo mode but there’s a catch to this. In order to go from one attack to an attack two steps ahead of the one you’re performing, you must L cancel that attack to get to the next attack. Example. If I wanted to go from jab to smash directly I must input Jab>L on hit>smash. This would make it so you either must pursue the entire magic series combo to get a more robust combo(more damage) or you must L cancel as a filler for the move you’re skipping (quicker safer combo). Hitting L after an attack mid combo allows you to basically stop the combo early and perform something else or just drop it entirely.

As far as aerials go, characters could magic series any two aerial attacks on hit without L canceling but on the second hit, if you decide to L cancel your character can do a third attack, being the special move. Example Nair>Fair>L >sideB

The last offensive idea I have is for characters to be able to midair grab. Of course not all characters can but some should be able to. Also in place of tethering, players who accurately shoot out a tether midair and hit another player will do what I call pulling. The character will pull the other character about halfway between them and they will pull themselves about halfway between them. This latching on to other players will do a little damage but ultimately it sets up more for aerials, shuffling or footstools.
I see this game favoring a strong offense as opposed to favoring strong defense but I may be wrong. These were some ideas which I thought could add some depth to defensive game play.

1. Allow tech attacking

During performing a successful tech a player should be allowed to hit the jab button which would initiate a quick combo stopping attack. Unlike a getup attack, this attack would have less knockback, a smaller hitbox and be quicker.

2. Tech rolling options

Two simple ideas. If you tech roll forward, you can perform a short hop or full hop at the end of the roll by hitting the jump button. If you roll backwards and input the shield command, your character will light shield immediately after standing up. Momentum will be preserved during both of these. These shouldn’t be able to be executed after a player initiates a roll out of shield although rolling out of shield in general should be sped up slightly to increase its potency.

(This next section is seriously weighted towards smash 4 but it’s still worth posting) Next up is the smash ball. I love the idea but the execution could use some work. Here are some ideas to make the smash ball more interesting. I will refer to the smash ball as the smash ability from now on.

1. No more smash ball. Each player should have to charge up their “Smash ability” by performing combos and KO’ing. After meeting the designated smash abilities requirements, player should be able to activate their ability or it will activate on its own. All players should be able to use their smash ability on screen at the same time if they choose. To show a player’s smash ability is ready or active, a smash ball should be placed next to a character’s name and stocks on the in game HUD.

2. 4 types of smash abilities. The abilities will either be actively executed or passive. They will either be active/passive for the rest of the stock you’re on, or active/passive for the rest of the game. Rest of the game smash abilities should be less intense but give you an edge. Rest of the stock abilities should be more intense and give you an advantage. Each character will have different unlockable smash abilities based on their abilities in their own respective series’. Generic abilities should be a nono.

3. A project M esque smash ball could work the same way the brawl one does except upon hitting it and activating it the player gets 2 minutes of OHC for every attack. As a reward for players who play well against the character with OHC, maybe the OHC ability passes off to the player who combos the player with OHC.

Characters

I AM NOT POSTING MY CHARACTER SPECULATIONS. That being said, here’s a general idea that is again weighted more towards smash 4. Characters should be able to unlock various character specific outfits, items, and accessories which can be applied to change the way a character plays. Example: Mario in a tanooki outfit is faster and jumps higher than default mario while fire Mario does fire damage with any attack that does over 10% damage. Maybe Kirby with his fighter headband on gives him a different dash attack or samus can choose which canon type to use in game. These things will change a characters aerial and normal attack but they will open up the possibility for different special attacks. Example Mario with a hammer has completely different unchangeable jab combo, tilts and smash attacks but his side b can be changed to a hammer toss or something if the player prefers it over the normal side b. of course these things would have to be set pregame.

Other small changes

Better story mode with more series references and stages. Maybe something where Mario ends up in hyrule and samus in dreamland? …on second thought I’d rather not see solid snake in the johto region…this’ll need some thought.

Combine break the targets, board the platforms and race to the finish in one character specific training event. This should not be easy and test a player’s ability effectively. Not sure how this would be pulled off though.

Keep all star.

Add an endless survival mode of sorts. as the players progress through the characters they defeat, maybe buffs and debuffs should be applied to change the difficulty slightly. Make it co-op

That’s all I can think of right now.

TL:DR – leave this thread because you have nothing to contribute

If you did read this, I appreciate it and would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
did you even read the rest?

If you're going to make an alt troll account, do it a little less blatantly, whoever this is.
i'm not trolling. 100% serious on these ideas and i would like to throw ideas around with the community. Now i understand some of these may not be specifically for project M but i came here because i know that you all know more deeply about smash than i and i would like to hear your thoughts on what i've posted. i'm sorry if i put it in the wrong forum. if you feel a certain way please explain yourself because i cannot read minds.

Thanks

On a side note: consider this not as ideas for smash 4 only or project m only but maybe somewhere ibetween the two.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
No, just no. Wavedashing was unintentional;yes. But there is no reason to replace it with something like SADDLING. I'm not saying this can't be balanced, but Project M is a continuation of the Melee metagame. If you want to change so much of Melee and Smash in general, make a NEW project. If it turns out well....good on you. I might pick it up sometime to try it out. But leave PM to it's goals.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
No, just no. Wavedashing was unintentional;yes. But there is no reason to replace it with something like SADDLING. I'm not saying this can't be balanced, but Project M is a continuation of the Melee metagame. If you want to change so much of Melee and Smash in general, make a NEW project. If it turns out well....good on you. I might pick it up sometime to try it out. But leave PM to it's goals.
Easier said starting a project than done. I understand project M's goals and i never intended for this to be a replacement of them. I believe i stated to have an open mind and pursue this as just discussing ideas. Although you might have read it as me trying to change project m, i only wanted to talk about possibilities for smash. I've kept my eye on M and its community for awhile and i know what you all are aiming for. I never requested for the PM:BR to change M but rather the community to post responses and thoughts for my ideas. If none of you can even try and have a simple straightforward conversation which doesn't break the rules then we have nothing more to say to each other. I wish this community the best if that's the case.

Thanks.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Your Smash Attack dashdance cancel would create very strong walls with the faster Smash attacks in its suggested state and would completely eliminate wavelanding for getting around on platforms. For the most part, you're just replacing the more flexible wavedash/waveland in favor of a 50/50 every time a Smash attack is charged. The lower endlag on the movement would make it incredibly safe and would cause the game to revolve around it more than the current waveland/wavedash mechanics.

Magic Series for every character would pretty much degenerate into the same one or two strings in combat, homogenizing gameplay and taking away the unique aspects of many characters' combo game. No thanks.

Up-B tether anti-air grab would also homogenize the moves' uses; currently, Ivysaur has a decisive KO move while ZSS draws them in for comboing and tech chase opportunities. Getting them as a grab would ruin some of that possibility, which doesn't sound appealing to me.

Tech attack just gives more opportunities for the player who was put into a bad position to free himself. I'd rather keep the player who forced the superior positioning to keep his significantly advantage, especially since there are already multiple ways to tech as it is. Same with your other tech options. Being forced to tech should feel like a compromising position and is entirely avoidable in many cases.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
The only thing I feel bad about is us ridiculing a fellow player who simply wants to share his ideas and opinions, rather than providing constructive criticism of his points we disagree with, as Reflex has done.

Anyways, I agree with the points brought up by Reflex. My other issue is that many of these ideas would be extreme deviations from the game play of Melee and the current demo, and as others have stated, don't fit well with the projects goals.

Some of your ideas sound interesting on paper, but it can be difficult to forsee the overall effect they would have on the metagame. With that said, its possible we could see one or two of them in Smash 4 for better or worse, but they probably don't belong in this game.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
I would like to share my opinion on this kind of thread.

It's a colossal waste of everyone's time, especially the OP. Hoping people agree with you about hypothetical ideas about something that doesn't exist is like buying a leash and hanging out at a dog park when you left your cat at home.

Top Bottom