• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea For Unlocking Characters

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Touche Dark Phazon. Let's just hope that he's actually unlockable for the next SSB. And maybe this time it'll be 1,000 vs. matches or 50 vs. hours combined.

the_savior21

Smash Rookie
This is just me but I think you should start with the original 12 whats wrong with that? (to include ZSSamus) Id like to be able to unlock all the characters although i hope the difficulty of unlocking is very diverse.
(Following now assumes all the characters I would like to see make the cut http://smashboards.com/threads/roster-prediction-display-thread.324220/page-4#post-15461388)

Also the classic "Challenger approches applies to all"

From Mario:
Peach I like what somebody else said in a previous post about how mario fights bowser to unlock peach. Adventure mode or Event Match.
Bowser Clear classic mode with mario on medium
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario Super Mario Sunshine Event Match

From Donkey Kong:
Diddy Kong Adventure Mode or x number of multiplayer of matches
King K. Rool Clear Classic Mode with D.K. on medium

From Zelda:
Zelda/Sheik Save Zelda in Adventure Mode
Young Link Adventure Mode or x number of multiplayer matches
Ganondorf Clear Classic mode with Link on medium

From Metroid:
Dark Samus Clear Classic Mode with Samus on medium

From Star Fox:
Falco Clear 100 man melee or x number of matches
Wolf Clear Classic mode with Fox
Krystal Find in Adventure mode

From Pokemon:
Mewtwo/Lucario x number of matches or x amount of time played
Jigglypuff Find in adventure mode
2nd/3rd gen Trainer Clear classic Mode with Pikachu on medium

From Earth Bound:
Lucas: Clear Classic Mode with Ness on medium

From F-Zero:
Black Shadow clear classic mode with C. Falcon on medium

From Kirby:
King DeDeDe Clear Classic mode on medium
Meta Knight Event match or x number of matches

From Fire Emblem:
Marth Find in Adventure mode
Roy Event match or x number of matches
Ike Find in Adventure mode
Black Knight Clear classic on hard with any FE Character

From Kid Icarus:
Pit Find in Adventure mode
Medusa Clear classic mode with pit on medium

From Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Find in Adventure mode
Shadow Sonic vs shadow event match (maybe a race like C. Falcon's event in melee were he races on the track in lightning mode?) or x number of matches

Others:
Wario Adventure mode
Ice Climbers Event or x number of matches
Game and Watch x number of matches or clear target test with every character (after unlocking every other character)
Mach Rider Event
Little Mac Event
Mega Man Event or x number of matches
Waluigi Adventure mode
Issac Adventure mode
Banjo w/ Kazooie, Adventure Mode
(From here on is characters not listed in my post that are also editions to the roster imo)
Pacman (I know he should be on there already but i just don't wanna see it) Event introducing namco
Heihachi from tekken (Lars, Kazuya, Jin, Law or Yoshimitsu) Namco vs Nintendo Event
Hatake Kakashi (Uzumaki Naruto or Uchiha Sauske) DLC
Zero (megaman) DLC
Goku (Gohan, Piccolo) DLC
Kain Highwind (Cloud Strife, Warrior of Light) DLC

Thats 52 Potential Unlockable Characters (Including DLC) 38 (not including DLC) That puts the roster at 50 not including DLC and anywhere between 55-65 with DLC

Thoughts?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Classic on medium is too easy but i totally agree with you when you say diverse stuff i feel as if you should have to play every mode atleast once because theres a char there to unlock i loved how melee made you have to use all chars even the ones you hate..(ice climbers ugh..)
You could spark a intrest in a char you wouldnt have overwise.

the_savior21

Smash Rookie
True classic on medium is really easy if your a vet but for some it may be their first time playing and some characters like bowser defense and other returning brawl characters I feel only need medium To unlock some characters like dark samus or new characters would take hard if that makes any sense.

That's how they do it in melee for stages and characters and that's the best way to do it like having to beat 51 events for final d

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
i hope event 51 in Sm4sh is as good/epic as it was in melee...it was so ****ing whack in brawl..giant mario? Really...(robot voice) .ow what a badass giant mario..im trembling in my boots...

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
This is just me but I think you should start with the original 12 whats wrong with that? (to include ZSSamus) Id like to be able to unlock all the characters although i hope the difficulty of unlocking is very diverse.
(Following now assumes all the characters I would like to see make the cut http://smashboards.com/threads/roster-prediction-display-thread.324220/page-4#post-15461388)

Also the classic "Challenger approches applies to all"

From Mario:
Peach I like what somebody else said in a previous post about how mario fights bowser to unlock peach. Adventure mode or Event Match.
Bowser Clear classic mode with mario on medium
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario Super Mario Sunshine Event Match

From Donkey Kong:
Diddy Kong Adventure Mode or x number of multiplayer of matches
King K. Rool Clear Classic Mode with D.K. on medium

From Zelda:
Zelda/Sheik Save Zelda in Adventure Mode
Young Link Adventure Mode or x number of multiplayer matches
Ganondorf Clear Classic mode with Link on medium

From Metroid:
Dark Samus Clear Classic Mode with Samus on medium

From Star Fox:
Falco Clear 100 man melee or x number of matches
Wolf Clear Classic mode with Fox
Krystal Find in Adventure mode

From Pokemon:
Mewtwo/Lucario x number of matches or x amount of time played
Jigglypuff Find in adventure mode
2nd/3rd gen Trainer Clear classic Mode with Pikachu on medium

From Earth Bound:
Lucas: Clear Classic Mode with Ness on medium

From F-Zero:
Black Shadow clear classic mode with C. Falcon on medium

From Kirby:
King DeDeDe Clear Classic mode on medium
Meta Knight Event match or x number of matches

From Fire Emblem:
Marth Find in Adventure mode
Roy Event match or x number of matches
Ike Find in Adventure mode
Black Knight Clear classic on hard with any FE Character

From Kid Icarus:
Pit Find in Adventure mode
Medusa Clear classic mode with pit on medium

From Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Find in Adventure mode
Shadow Sonic vs shadow event match (maybe a race like C. Falcon's event in melee were he races on the track in lightning mode?) or x number of matches

Others:
Wario Adventure mode
Ice Climbers Event or x number of matches
Game and Watch x number of matches or clear target test with every character (after unlocking every other character)
Mach Rider Event
Little Mac Event
Mega Man Event or x number of matches
Waluigi Adventure mode
Issac Adventure mode
Banjo w/ Kazooie, Adventure Mode
(From here on is characters not listed in my post that are also editions to the roster imo)
Pacman (I know he should be on there already but i just don't wanna see it) Event introducing namco
Heihachi from tekken (Lars, Kazuya, Jin, Law or Yoshimitsu) Namco vs Nintendo Event
Hatake Kakashi (Uzumaki Naruto or Uchiha Sauske) DLC
Zero (megaman) DLC
Goku (Gohan, Piccolo) DLC
Kain Highwind (Cloud Strife, Warrior of Light) DLC

Thats 52 Potential Unlockable Characters (Including DLC) 38 (not including DLC) That puts the roster at 50 not including DLC and anywhere between 55-65 with DLC

Thoughts?
Personally I feel that whoever is going to be announced for the initial trailer (The initial trailer ended and then proceeded to do a bonus for Snake so these characters are exceptions) should be playable by default. While the sake of unlocking things is definitely fun, starting off with 12 characters takes away and limits your initial enjoyment of the game. (Keep in mind that not everyone wants to grind to unlock things and not everyone will have played the N64 version, they just want to play the game as it is and unlock things along the way, limiting it to 12 characters is going to hurt the name and integrity of the franchise regardless if you want to pay homage to the N64 version.)

The roster itself is a different discussion but it is not necessary for each character to have an alternative unlockable within a series (For example, Shadow has extremely little chance, if you want an event match for Sonic/Sega series and other characters like Captain Falcon you could unlock a bonus stage instead of unlocking characters who have extremely little chances of getting in.) In the others section, anyone below Isaac who's name doesn't start with Pac-Man has virtually no chances of getting in whether it be for copyright reasons or simple butchery to the Smash series. Sakurai has also stated how Mach Rider has little viability as a playable character, but if you want to incorporate a Mach Rider event that would be pretty cool.

While the overall idea is solid, you could also diversify the requirements for characters as playing through Classic/Adventure over and over is just tedious. Perhaps have a character be unlocked by completing all events, getting X meters in the Home-Run Contest, beat Target Test with all characters, unlock in Story Mode, other interesting, gimmicky, easter-eggy requirements.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Personally I feel that whoever is going to be announced for the initial trailer (The initial trailer ended and then proceeded to do a bonus for Snake so these characters are exceptions) should be playable by default. While the sake of unlocking things is definitely fun, starting off with 12 characters takes away and limits your initial enjoyment of the game. (Keep in mind that not everyone wants to grind to unlock things and not everyone will have played the N64 version, they just want to play the game as it is and unlock things along the way, limiting it to 12 characters is going to hurt the name and integrity of the franchise regardless if you want to pay homage to the N64 version.)

The roster itself is a different discussion but it is not necessary for each character to have an alternative unlockable within a series (For example, Shadow has extremely little chance, if you want an event match for Sonic/Sega series and other characters like Captain Falcon you could unlock a bonus stage instead of unlocking characters who have extremely little chances of getting in.) In the others section, anyone below Isaac who's name doesn't start with Pac-Man has virtually no chances of getting in whether it be for copyright reasons or simple butchery to the Smash series. Sakurai has also stated how Mach Rider has little viability as a playable character, but if you want to incorporate a Mach Rider event that would be pretty cool.

While the overall idea is solid, you could also diversify the requirements for characters as playing through Classic/Adventure over and over is just tedious. Perhaps have a character be unlocked by completing all events, getting X meters in the Home-Run Contest, beat Target Test with all characters, unlock in Story Mode, other interesting, gimmicky, easter-eggy requirements.
Totally agree with pretty much everything you said.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'll be happy if we can have an option to not unlock the characters in story mode.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I think it's more fun when you don't know how to unlock characters. You know, like you just do all the random things you can think of, and then BAM the Challenger Approaching screen appears and you start to pee yourself in excitement. Much more fun to be a surprise than if you know what you're doing. At least in my opinion.

Also, you definitely should have to beat them to unlock them. No happy go lucky joining your party like in SSE. Challenger Approaching is a must.
Best memories of my childhood playing Melee is exactly this :grin:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
My idea is that you should be able to get characters in story mode but once you do unlock them in story mode if you hover over their name or whatever it will show the means to unlock them outside of story mode. Maybe you can find like 'notes' or something while instory mode that will give you a way to unlock stages, AT, trophies, characters, or whatever else they want to be unlockable. Cool idea imo

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
What something i think we all can pretty much agree on is that you eventually like...i dunno...ermmm..like..actually have to fight the char to unlock em...like Melee..perhaps..dunno just a suggestion.

Top Bottom