• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea for Stage Selecting / Alternative to FLSS

nebulark

Smash Rookie
So I had a new idea for the stage selection process and would like to hear your opinions on it, especially when compared to Full List Stage Striking (FLSS). Description of FLSS can be found here. This new process should be fair for any amount of stages as long as it is an odd number. So here is:

You have any number of legal stages.
Player A proposes half of them rounded down. Example: With 9 legal stages player A would propose 4 stages, for 7 he/she would propose 3 and so on.
Player B now has 2 choices:
1) Pick one of the proposed stages, as the stage they will play on.
2) Deny the proposed stages and let player A any otf the non-proposed stages, as the stage they will play on.

Advantages (FLSS):
+ Always needs 2 or 3 steps / consistent precedure for any amount of stages.
+ No striking order needs to be defined (e.g. '1-2-2-1', '2-3-1', ...)

Disadvantage:
- Can't use the random stage select menu to help or at least not to the extent as in FLSS.

Unclear:
# You think more about the stages you want to play on, than about those you don't want to.

Assuming player B plays perfect, you have 2 option as player A.
1) Propose all of your best stages. Player B would then deny those. You pick the best from the remaining ones, which should also be the 'neutral' stage.
2) Same as 1) but instead including your best stage, you include the 'neutral' stage in the proposal. This forces player B to pick the neutral stage, because otherwise you get your best stage.
Both options are equally viable IMO, so I would strive to always go for option 2) as there are lower steps involved.
In lower level play, it is likely that more familiar stages will be proposed. Most of the time there should be a commonly liked stage, which is then picked by player B. In addition this procedure is somewhat similar to the gentlemans rule IMO.
Of course one could argue now that player B has an advantages in that case. However, if both are the same (stage picking) skill level, player B can also make a mistake by picking the wrong stage. If the skill levels are different, the better player gets an advantage.
For even stages you it is no possible to find the stage in the middle. If you don't modify the procedure player B will have the advantage. You could also reduce the number of stages player A has to propose by one, giving him the advantage. However I would not recommend that, because this stage selecting process is simpler, when player B picks one of the proposed stages IMO.

Does this seem fair to you? Is this easier to understand the FLSS? Do you find this difficult to learn? Would you rather be player A or player B? I would really like to hear your opinions.

Edit: clarified confusing parts (thx Azazel)

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm confused. First, what is FLSS? Second, why does one player propose half of the stages rounded down? I'm also confused how 9 stages would be 4 and 7 would be 3. I suppose if I tried to really figure out what you meant by that, I could, but I don't understand. From what I've observed, a lot of people in the competitive scene mainly go to Smashville because it's neutral.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused. First, what is FLSS? Second, why does one player propose half of the stages rounded down? I'm also confused how 9 stages would be 4 and 7 would be 3. I suppose if I tried to really figure out what you meant by that, I could, but I don't understand. From what I've observed, a lot of people in the competitive scene mainly go to Smashville because it's neutral.
Half of 9 is 4.5
Selecting a half of a legal stage doesn't make sense
We can either round up 4.5 to 5
Or 4.5 to 4
They say to round down
Its just a rule to resolve odd number of legal stages to select from.
I think that the confusing part may have been the hypothetical amount legal stage. They said it abstractly for their example when they should have used concrete examples based the legal stages right now.

A document of Full List Stage Striking

Last edited:
Top Bottom