• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Storm headed towards Northeast: Power out for Brawl?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Okay, okay, this may sound trivial to most of you, but for those of us in the Northeast, especially the Western New York area of Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse, this could be a big deal.

A winter storm is coming, and it will likely bring a icy mix, and may end up being a all-out Ice Storm.

The last time a major Ice Storm hit where I live, everything was covered in half an inch of ice. Power was out for a week.

This time, we're supposed to get at least that, possibly even more.

So here's a warning for everyone in the Northeast, especially Western New York:

WE may have to wait for Brawl a little longer, or, even worse, may end up with brawl but no power to play it on our Wiis.

BUT IT COULD BE WORSE.

One of the main dangers of an Ice Storm is individual branches falling on powerlines, causing individual powerlines to break. Now, here's the thing: it is possible, when you lose power so close to your house, that a surge will occur that could fry just about every electrical device hooked up in your house. Now, that includes your Wii.

So, here's my piece of advice:

UNLESS IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE PLAYING ON YOUR WII, UNPLUG IT NOW AND DON'T PLUG IT BACK IN UNTIL THE STORM IS PAST!

Losing your power for an entire week and not being able to play Brawl until it's back on will suck, but losing your Wii will suck even more, since it's near impossible to find one.

This has been a hopefully-unnecessary public service announcement.

Jun.

Smash Lord
I lived in CT for a bit so i know how crazy ice storms can get over there

be careful everyone

Nowfist

Smash Apprentice
Im only getting the snowy part of the storm, the rest is going just to the left and below my territory
I doubt this will delay the game, considering there's still so much time left... Not really.

Grandeza

Smash Master
What!!! I live in New York!! This is just great....But they might close school.....then i will be bored with no brawl!!!!!!!!!!!!

skullkidd

Smash Ace
I like in the NE too, and I'm more excited than worried, we might have Monday off!
We usually don't lose power from snow.

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
Here in Maine, a generator is a must-have ;) .
That being said, I only have to worry about my Gamestop having to close, or my parent being paranoid about my driving in the storm.

Biolizard28

Smash Cadet
If I'm just hearing about this now, my area must only be getting some snow.

Screw Brawl, just be careful during the storm, everyone.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
We got some ice and snow in central Illinois, but it wasn't too bad. It was enough to get us out of school, though.

KCFreedom18

Smash Rookie
I really don't care too much, the last time this happened(in January) I got power back in a day, heck all the trees were probably knocked down in that storm.

§leepy God

Smash Master
This snow will be a problem when driving to get Brawl. I live in MI so we are getting heavy snow right now. I pray that this don't last long. To think I still have work tomorrow. -_-;

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet

"This is almost certainly punishment for all you heathens, with your unquenchable lust for the Zero Suit Sami, and your unnatural desires for the dangling, sweaty Smash Balls!"

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
One of the main dangers of an Ice Storm is individual branches falling on powerlines, causing individual powerlines to break. Now, here's the thing: it is possible, when you lose power so close to your house, that a surge will occur that could fry just about every electrical device hooked up in your house. Now, that includes your Wii.
That, my friend, is what a surge protector is for. You can get them at BestBuy, Walmart, anywhere like that. Heck, if you really wanted, you could get a battery powered one and plug your TV and Wii into it and have Brawl while the power is out. Unless you pay a ton of cash it would only last a few minutes... but it's still true.

Otherwise, yeah, if you don't have a surge protector then you don't want you Wii plugged in just to be safe.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
"This is almost certainly punishment for all you heathens, with your unquenchable lust for the Zero Suit Sami, and your unnatural desires for the dangling, sweaty Smash Balls!"
Not unquenchable... it'll be quenched when I get Brawl.

Anyway, sucks for you guys. It's times like these I'm glad I live on the coast. ManBearPig for Brawl.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
im right next to chicago (dekalb for school, morris when at home), and my systems are never plugged in unless i am playing them anyway, i keep them on the shelves above my desk in my dorm because there isnt anwhere else they'll fit

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
This snow will be a problem when driving to get Brawl. I live in MI so we are getting heavy snow right now. I pray that this don't last long. To think I still have work tomorrow. -_-;
Same here.

However, isn't it supposed to clear up within the next few days? Like clear up on Saturday or somethign? Thought that's what I heard.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
Buy a generator just for Brawl (if you're that dedicated).

I live in the Northwest and I really don't have to worry about the weather. All it ever does is rain. But the summers are nice. I'll have something to do when it's rainy outside. :)

Top Bottom