• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers: yay or nay?

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Now, there has been some speculation on whether there will be sm4sh on the switch. However, Sakurai made it clear that ice climbers could have been on the wiiu, and was not included because he couldn't on the 3DS. But I have been wondering if it would be benificial to not bring them back. Chaingrabs, specifically the Ice Climbers, immediately make them top/high tier. And Nintendo has patched most infinates out there. So is it worth the risk?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Surely they can remove their chaingrabs too. Just make them share a no-grab counter and it should be fine. I say bring them back.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Chaingrabs would be impossible though. The game as a whole has a timer on how long a character can go between being grabbed and regrabbed. How many other characters have chaingrabs? Zero. Adding another character, even if it's 2-in-1, will not change that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main question to ask is if it'll be possible to have as many as 16 Ice Climber models present in 8-player Smash without having any performance issues.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No thanks.

Even with the grab cooldown in SSB4, I don't doubt they would find a way to just do something so that they're bouncing you around during that cooldown while keeping you in grab range still. ICs have always been busted.

Also as pointed out above: 16 IC models running around on a stage with high items dropping? Don't see the game not chugging even on the Switch trying to pull that off.

If you have to bring back another vet, bring back Wolf. I'd love to see how his style works in a engine that actually allows for some amount of combos.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Sure, but only if they remove the chain grab and make them not top tier. High tier would be fine. I really hate what Cloud and Bayo did to the meta, the game is better off without more DLC coming along that just stomps all over the high, mid and low tiers.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Chaingrabs would be impossible though. The game as a whole has a timer on how long a character can go between being grabbed and regrabbed. How many other characters have chaingrabs? Zero. Adding another character, even if it's 2-in-1, will not change that.
I can already find an option for a chaingrab. Grab, pummel, first 2 jabs, regrab.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think they could safely adjust their grab and jab to prevent an infinite. For one, they may need to make Nana inactive during the grab and release, but I'm sure they could handle it. The 8-player Smash is the more prevalent issue (which I forgot). It might be possible; I don't know. I would be willing to have them unavailable for the mode, but I doubt they would go that route.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, Luma is apparently less complicated since they work on the 3DS, so there might be problems with the Climbers yet.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Clearing things up, Ice Climbers were definitely able to work on the Wii U, based on the following transcription.

Taking to his bi-weekly column in Famitsu, Sakurai confirmed that he was forced to cut the adorable pairing of Popo and Nana because of the technical limitations of the Nintendo 3DS hardware. Even more tragically for fans of the characters is that the team behind Super Smash Bros. had the fighters up and running on the Wii U version of the game, but seemingly dropped them with the intent of having the same roster across both platforms.

So Wii U is definately possible

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
The main question to ask is if it'll be possible to have as many as 16 Ice Climber models present in 8-player Smash without having any performance issues.
Yeah, if the Nintendo Switch solves that problem then Popo and Nana should definitely come back. A lot of fans would be happy;)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
yet its possible to have a ton of lumas and pikmin on the screen?
The thing is, the Lumas and Pikmin operate in a completely different manner. With the Ice Climbers, both Popo and Nana have the exact same moveset, and they can both use items, which is something that the Luma and Pikmin can't do.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I hate to sound pessimistic, but I highly doubt that there will be added DLC characters on the Switch version of Smash. Think about it—most of the time, when characters are added, there will be a patch to balance any issues with those characters. Nintendo is releasing its last batch of Wii U and 3DS games before the Switch comes out, yes? Based on this, I think it is safe to assume that Nintendo wants to move away from the Wii U and 3DS, and focus on the new Switch line/system.

When Smash 4 is hypothetically released for the Switch, the new system will also be released (obviously). Nintendo will be focusing on the Switch, and not the Wii U or 3DS. If Sakurai creates DLC for the Smash Switch, it is likely that a balance patch will be necessary, but will he be able to update both the Wii U and 3DS versions just to accommodate for the Switch version? How would adding DLC characters to only the Switch version affect players who don't have the Switch? I hope I'm wrong, but Smash Switch will likely be a simple port.

Top Bottom