• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers removed for lack of processing power; 3DS maintains "bloom" PP effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To all those saying that the Wii U should get an exclusive character because it's $60, please think. The Wii U version is going to have many more stages and modes that will more than make up the $20 difference. Also the Ice Climbers are broken so I'm fairly certain that's a big reason why they were cut.
That didn't stop them from returning to Brawl.

Its more than 60 dollars for most its 350 for most. They WILL need exclusive characters to make people spend that much.
Well, considering the "same roster" rule, we have already seen the exact roster the Wii U will have on the 3DS version so I have no reason to expect otherwise.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
With home console gaming in Japan flopping hard as it is nowadays, not even new characters would save the Wii U version there, to be absolutely honest.

Besides, the whole thing about sharing rosters is due to the ability to be able to pass custom characters between versions. Having exclusive characters defeats the purpose of "playing Smash on the go, take the characters you've built up to play at home on the big screen", something this game was aiming for since the beginning of the project.

Leads me to draw a parallel between the handheld main Pokémon games and the Stadium-like games. Having the same character selection is essential for this mechanic to work.

Once again, game development and design basics. Refer to my previous post on this thread.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Oh boy, a Smash 3DS vs. Smash U argument... :glare:
May I remind everyone that Smash U probably will have more content than Smash U (except more characters), so no need for the 'Smash U costs more so we should get more characters.' argument.
Also, if Sakurai does give Smash U Ice Climbers, he should at least give Smash 3DS an exclusive character or just give Smash 3DS one Ice Climber.
Maybe WiiU will get Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Ridley. And 3ds version gets Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit.

._.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
I thought wii u's are like 290 (did they get a price reduction?) Also the thing is everyone has a 3ds and not a wii u.
When you argument relies on changing the rules for one version (factoring the entire Wii U into the price of one, but not the 3DS into the price of the other) in order to drastically distort the numbers, it's a pretty sure sign that your argument is weak.

When you can make your argument without using a massive fallacy to support it, then we can talk.

The ice climber fanbase is huge thanks to them being top tier for two games straight lol and their unique playstyles.
This doesn't mean they have actual fans. The fanbase of top tier characters is huge, not the Ice Climbers in particular. Whoever is top tier this game will take those fans from them and then only their true fans will remain. Which to be frank are not many from what I've seen. You have to remember that Smashboards is not an unbiased environment to conduct survey. When I ask casual smash players, I rarely see a lot of love for the Ice Climbers. Of course, that may just be dumb luck, but either way I think it shows that there's no particular mass outcry for them.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
From what I've heard, Ice Climbers has a tiny following because people think chaingrabs and wobbles are boring. I disagree, but it's what I've heard.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
When you argument relies on changing the rules for one version (factoring the entire Wii U into the price of one, but not the 3DS into the price of the other) in order to drastically distort the numbers, it's a pretty sure sign that your argument is weak.

When you can make your argument without using a massive fallacy to support it, then we can talk.

This doesn't mean they have actual fans. The fanbase of top tier characters is huge, not the Ice Climbers in particular. Whoever is top tier this game will take those fans from them and then only their true fans will remain. Which to be frank are not many from what I've seen. You have to remember that Smashboards is not an unbiased environment to conduct survey. When I ask casual smash players, I rarely see a lot of love for the Ice Climbers. Of course, that may just be dumb luck, but either way I think it shows that there's no particular mass outcry for them.
Are you kidding me, you do know the reason Falco and Shiek are retardly popular right? And its not because of their franchises.

Last edited:

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
Are you kidding me, you do know the reason Falco and Shiek are retardly popular right? And its not because of their franchises.
Your argument on "tier placement = popularity" kinda falls flat on its face since Olimar, Peach, Zero Suit Samus & Ice Climbers, all characters who've been high or top tier at least once, are among the least played characters in the entire cast by casual players, who whether you choose to accept it or not, make up the vast bulk of Smash Bros' sales. It also ignores that Sheik and Falco are very easy characters to pick up and play with on a casual level compared to the more advanced Zelda & Fox, or even that people choose them because they look cool or feel good to play as or something, never mind that Sheik or Falco aren't really that common at all outside of tourney level play to begin with.

I will admit that in a few cases characters gain a dimension of popularity because of how strong they are (Marth & Ike being the most obvious examples on a competitive & casual level respectably, since let's be real, like... less than 1% of us Western players knew about Fire Emblem before Melee), but assuming competitive viability makes up a huge portion of a characters playerbase is inherently wrong since only a tiny portion of Smash players have that mindset to begin with. If we're going to talk popularity then honestly Ice Climbers are probably the least popular characters in the entire series when factoring in casuals. Out of all the cuts in Sm4sh, I can say with absolute certainty that more people were upset over Lucas, Wolf & Snake being M.I.A. than Popo+Nana, and honestly it seems to me like most people are only really upset about the Ice Climbers being cut BECAUSE they're gone as opposed to actually liking the characters or how they play, a sort of "only appreciate them when they're gone" scenario which kinda repeated the whole palooka about Roy & Doc being cut from Brawl. Never mind the groups of pro Smash players who hate the Ice Climbers BECAUSE of their 0-death grab techniques, so not even that many pros like the Ice Climbers lol.

I'm still not unopposed to them being included in the Wii U version, but right now I am leaning more towards them remaining cut, since the points on compatibility raised by Frostwraith are really strong.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I don't play as ICs but I played against them plenty and, at a casual level (no stupid chaingrabs), they were a wonderfully unique character who really brought a lot to the game. I appreciated them while they were there and feel it a travesty that they were cut. Roy and Doc, on the other hand, were never of any interest to me and still aren't.
If Sakurai goes back on his promise, I will feel conned.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Actually, the Ice Climbers are one of the most heavily requested characters for DLC and there were certainly far more backlash over them than Snake being MIA as far as I've seen.

And concerning popularity, the Ice Climbers are not the least popular characters by far amongst Smash fans. Toon Link, Lucario and ROB are far less popular than the Ice Climbers

av448

Smash Cadet
There are some really disgusting fanboys here , i wouldn't intend to buy a Wii U and the game for only one character ( which is okay if Ice Climbers remains Wii U only, better having them only on Wii U than don't have them at all ) if i already had a 3DS. The 3DS is portable and have Smash Run , Wii U version only needs one console with the game ( unlike 3DS where you would need 4 3DS with 4 Smash 3DS ) and 4 controllers , also better graphics because it has more power. Comparing them outside of that is plain stupid

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Um... it's about the 3DS version and about Ice Climbers so... WTF?

Btw, your grammar is weird man....

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Um... it's about the 3DS version and about Ice Climbers so... WTF?

Btw, your grammar is weird man....
I'm saying, why say 'I wish Smash 3DS didn't exist.' in the forum FOR Smash 3DS?

Also, sorry if my grammar was weird, I was kinda tired when making that post. :p

av448

Smash Cadet
People wishing for the 3DS Version to no exist because Ice Climbers , so funny

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
Well, which did you guys want? A portable Smash Bros game, or Ice Climbers?

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
So much hate and jealousy for a fantastic Smash game, a mobile game, a new game, a fun game, and a game that the millions upon millions of 3ds players who now have an opportunity to love the game like we all have, an opportunity to enjoy the game until the polished Wii U version releases.... how many people could decide to buy the wii u after becoming huge fans of Smash. Idk why people seem to think the 3ds version somehow hinders the Wii U game. I think that both games will be good for each other, the wii u, and Nintendo in general. That is just my optimistic opinion.... I honestly believe Nintendo made a very wise move with expanding the platform options for the SSB series

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
So the topic here is..."I want to cry about the ice climbers publicly." Aren't there enough threads for this already? Or now it's "3ds killed the Ice Climbers?"

That's what this has become. And this is what it started as.

Seriously, "There's bloom but no Ice Climbers?" That doesn't even make sense. That's like saying "They could add the boxing ring, but not Lucas?" These two don't correlate in the slightest. I don't even understand what's going on here aside from whining about something that's been beaten to death in many other topics.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
So much hate and jealousy for a fantastic Smash game, a mobile game, a new game, a fun game, and a game that the millions upon millions of 3ds players who now have an opportunity to love the game like we all have, an opportunity to enjoy the game until the polished Wii U version releases.... how many people could decide to buy the wii u after becoming huge fans of Smash. Idk why people seem to think the 3ds version somehow hinders the Wii U game. I think that both games will be good for each other, the wii u, and Nintendo in general. That is just my optimistic opinion.... I honestly believe Nintendo made a very wise move with expanding the platform options for the SSB series
The 3ds version is hindering the Wii U version alot in sales, characters and even certain mechanics. It should have never existed.

Last edited:

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
The 3ds version is hindering the Wii U version alot in sales, characters and even certain mechanics. It should have never existed.
Why? Because that is your opinion? Because every new Smash has to have every minute detail from previous installments otherwise its lame?

News Flash ... the Wii U has not been moving units like they need to, Smash can only temporarily improve the wii u popularity. The 3DS is the system outselling the Wii, and the 3DS shouldnt have got a smash? Who says Smash has to be on only one Nintendo console at a time, especially the more expensive less popular console?

sorry but truths hurt

Times are changing and change isnt always negative

Never thought I would see Nintendo Smash fans hate on Nintendo for expanding the Smash franchise to MORE Nintendo customers with 3DSs, I have played and loved every smash since the 64. And now I get to enjoy number 4. I may even buy my own Wii U just because of how much I enjoy SSB. So how exactly is the 3ds format of the game hurting the Wii U ? If it hadnt been for SSB4 3DS I never would have once considered the idea of purchasing a Wii U. Its a nice system and there are some great ideas incorporated into it....it just does not appeal to myself and obviously a large gaming majority. I grew up on Nintendo as did most of my generation, and I am among one of the most loyal Nintendo customers even into my adult age. The reason most people have opted for other platforms isi because Nintendo does what Nintendo wants everyone be damned lol and although this strategy has worked for them from time to time it is doing more damage than good to customers opinion concerning Nintendo :(

LOL yeah I got a bit off topic, I am just beyond tired of listening to complaints concerning something that is not released officially in America and another that is set for Holiday 14 release. Neither of these games that we have all been so beyond stoked for has not even been held in the majority of our hands. Yet the pissing matches continue, and for what? who cares what version someone prefers or what version another person hates? Its all so petty.

/Drops mic and steps off soapbox

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Why? Because that is your opinion? Because every new Smash has to have every minute detail from previous installments otherwise its lame?

News Flash ... the Wii U has not been moving units like they need to, Smash can only temporarily improve the wii u popularity. The 3DS is the system outselling the Wii, and the 3DS shouldnt have got a smash? Who says Smash has to be on only one Nintendo console at a time, especially the more expensive less popular console?

sorry but truths hurt

Times are changing and change isnt always negative

Never thought I would see Nintendo Smash fans hate on Nintendo for expanding the Smash franchise to MORE Nintendo customers with 3DSs, I have played and loved every smash since the 64. And now I get to enjoy number 4. I may even buy my own Wii U just because of how much I enjoy SSB. So how exactly is the 3ds format of the game hurting the Wii U ? If it hadnt been for SSB4 3DS I never would have once considered the idea of purchasing a Wii U. Its a nice system and there are some great ideas incorporated into it....it just does not appeal to myself and obviously a large gaming majority. I grew up on Nintendo as did most of my generation, and I am among one of the most loyal Nintendo customers even into my adult age. The reason most people have opted for other platforms isi because Nintendo does what Nintendo wants everyone be damned lol and although this strategy has worked for them from time to time it is doing more damage than good to customers opinion concerning Nintendo :(

LOL yeah I got a bit off topic, I am just beyond tired of listening to complaints concerning something that is not released officially in America and another that is set for Holiday 14 release. Neither of these games that we have all been so beyond stoked for has not even been held in the majority of our hands. Yet the pissing matches continue, and for what? who cares what version someone prefers or what version another person hates? Its all so petty.

/Drops mic and steps off soapbox
If you cant see why the 3ds version is a bad thing with all the info in this thread I dont know what to tell ya.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
If you cant see why the 3ds version is a bad thing with all the info in this thread I dont know what to tell ya.

Im not sure about you, but I form my own opinions by firsthand experience .... and every minute I have played of 4 has been great. Have you played or do you just watch stream videos and cling to every word your favorite "pro" happens to say.

Regardless if you have ever really played or not, myself and countless others around the world are loving this game and it is here to stay. If you do not care for it, then why post in an area dedicated to that very game? Unless you are trolling it up

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Im not sure about you, but I form my own opinions by firsthand experience .... and every minute I have played of 4 has been great. Have you played or do you just watch stream videos and cling to every word your favorite "pro" happens to say.

Regardless if you have ever really played or not, myself and countless others around the world are loving this game and it is here to stay. If you do not care for it, then why post in an area dedicated to that very game? Unless you are trolling it up
Im not saying it doesnt play great, Ive played the demo for hours. Id still have rather had 1 awesome version than 2 watered down versions.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Ice Climbers, I could care less about a portable smash.
Im not saying it doesnt play great, Ive played the demo for hours. Id still have rather had 1 awesome version than 2 watered down versions.
Don't ever career in anything business/developer related, especially with video games (even more so with Smash Bros). You would crash a company hard with that selfish mentality.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Don't ever career in anything business/developer related, especially with video games (even more so with Smash Bros). You would crash a company hard with that selfish mentality.
Right lol. I would listen to my fans not ignore them and I would have a better business plan than what nintendo has done here. Releasing the 3ds version before the wii u version was moronic if they were to have the same roster.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I am honestly curious. Exactly what about SSB4 is, in your opinion, "watered down?"

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I am honestly curious. Exactly what about SSB4 is, in your opinion, "watered down?"
Maybe not watered down in my case, but I do feel the idea of both games being advertised as having the same roster in the first place due to Sakurai's philosophy to ultimately be disagreeable considering that even though the Ice Climbers worked perfectly fine on the Wii U version, he still cut them from the Wii U version just because of the limitations of the 3DS.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Maybe not watered down in my case, but I do feel the idea of both games being advertised as having the same roster in the first place due to Sakurai's philosophy to ultimately be disagreeable considering that even though the Ice Climbers worked perfectly fine on the Wii U version, he still cut them from the Wii U version just because of the limitations of the 3DS.
As much as I absolutely was and still am walking on the mood with excitement about the equal roster,

BUT

I see no problem with Wii U having the Ice Climbers.... it would not have hurt my feelings at all. Or any number of returning and or newcomers. I feel more than satisfied with my 3DS smash @ $40.....this game will see much use. The demo certainly did.... out of my free trial I kept my 2ds in a constant on state either playing or sleep mode lol

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Characters (3ds version hinders what characters can be used and wastes development time for more newcomers.)

Gameplay ( No gameplay can be used that taxes the 3ds system, which is why transformations were removed, olimar's pikmin number was reduced, Ice Climbers deleted due to AI stuff, and who knows what else was scrapped.)

Sales (nintendo is in clear need of selling the wii u system, they have been in a bad position for a while and need a system seller. Almost everyone has a 3ds already. Many will merely just buy the 3ds version since it costs 290 dollars less and the 3ds version comes out first as well as it having the same roster as the wii u version so you really lose nothing. However what does this mean for the wii u versions sales, what will make an average consumer buy it over the 3ds version, at this moment it looks to be nothing bar Hd graphics and a gamecube controller. Nintendo has made a horrible mistake when it comes to this ordeal, the least that could have been done was release the wii u version first or allow the wii u version exclusive characters that were transferable to the 3ds (ice climbers remaining exclusive due to technical issues) but they chose to keep the same rosters which will ultimately result in the 3ds game having good sales while their failing system still fails.)

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
As much as I absolutely was and still am walking on the mood with excitement about the equal roster,

BUT

I see now problem with Wii U having the Ice Climbers.... it would not have hurt my feelings at all
Yeah, I feel the same only because of the hardware limitations. If the Ice Climbers were able to work perfectly fine as they were, I wouldn't really have been opposed to the whole "equal roster" idea.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Right lol. I would listen to my fans not ignore them and I would have a better business plan than what nintendo has done here. Releasing the 3ds version before the wii u version was moronic if they were to have the same roster.
Easier said than done, like many, many other things.

Pretty sure many people are happy with the 3DS version existing (me included), even though it means no Ice Climbers. You can't have everything. You can't have the best of both worlds. Sometimes, sacrifice is required to attain something new.

Whether sacrificing the Ice Climbers for a handheld installment of the series was a good idea or not, that is entirely subjective. Same goes for shared roster between both versions. All have their pros and cons.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Easier said than done, like many, many other things.

Pretty sure many people are happy with the 3DS version existing (me included), even though it means no Ice Climbers. You can't have everything. You can't have the best of both worlds. Sometimes, sacrifice is required to attain something new.

Whether sacrificing the Ice Climbers for a handheld installment of the series was a good idea or not, that is entirely subjective. Same goes for shared roster between both versions. All have their pros and cons.
I just know when I become a game developer Im not going to alienate my fanbases like the director has done here.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Even if the Wii U version did have more characters and extra content(which it will) the console will still be on life support.

Consoles in general are dying out, handhelds although doing better than home consoles who needs them when you got smartphones? PC gaming is becoming popular and PS4 and XBOX ONE do more than play games.

imma buy both versions but Nintendo really need to make the Wii U version work they can't rely on the 3ds sales forever although they have enough savings to last for years.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I just know when I become a game developer Im not going to alienate my fanbases like the director has done here.
Speak for yourself, for I certainly do not feel alienated.

Same can likely be said for a good chunk of the million people who bought the 3DS version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom