• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers hate

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
chain grab combos can be escaped. the ic player requires mixups and/or wobble to be able to keep someone in the grab. plus grabs can be avoided.

gay = good

2 ice climbers 1 cup

Mezna

Smash Cadet
Wow... All I have to ask is how many of you ACTUALLY HAVE FRIENDS WHO DO NOTHING BUT CHAIN GRAB! Seriously, if all you see is videos of them chain-grabbing you can't hate them. I personally love IC. I like the fact of having 2 characters. I'm decent with them and I've never chain-grabbed(partially because I don't have the patience to learn). I mean, It's quite easy to beat IC, especially if you use a character with ranged attack.

Also, I think they can't really be cheap. Come on, if all you have to say is "They chain-grab!", "There are two of them!", "They're gay!" then your logical skills are really lacking.

- They chain-grab
- Ok? And? Fox has uber-cheap drill shine. Shiek has the speed of a demon. CF has the Knee. DDD can chain-grab. The list goes on and on. So, chain-grabbing? Yeah, don't get grabbed.
- There are two of them
- And when there is one of them... Seriously. Do you know how annoying it is to have Nana on the other side of the screen getting the crap beat out of her by Link while Fox is destroying you? And if Nana dies, you can basically kiss your recovery goodbye.
- They're gay
-Ok. Everybody knows that when a guy a girl are together it's considered a homosexual relationship*sarcasm*

Ok, I think I'm done ranting for now... -.-

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I think most people who hate the ICs just perceive wobbling and CGs as "cheap." This mentality is stupid for plenty of reasons, although it's surprisingly common.

Mr.C

Smash Master
There is nothing wrong with cg's. Wobbling isn't "cheap" its "broken" and thats why people hate Icy's...but I'm sure Ice Climber players love getting off one grab and ending a stock no matter what.
*golf clap*

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
before i relay my opinion, i would first like to say that i love the ice climbers, but suck very, very badly with them.

the ICs are a needed character in this game.

to look at it from the outside at all fighting games, every fighting good fighting game has a IC or a Sheik/Zelda or Zamus. it brings variety to the game. this game would be boring if everyone was a fox or a marth mainer. those matches were already overplayed, no one took the time to really get good with teh low tier characters. (except in in this case chu dat ftw).

one could argue that characters like the ICs help build tiers for the reason that no one plays them, but this is only because their meta game is lacking so much.

in my opinion, their are no tiers, just characters that have been created a better meta game.

in short, people are stupid, is basically what i'm saying. no character is better than another, but some just have been played more.

yeah, the ICs can grab. ok. this is not 'cheap', this is jsut a really good way that they are played. deal with it. fox can do some crazy **** with his shine, so is that unfair? n0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o.

that staple moves are necessary.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I do play quite frequently as the ice climbers.

They have distinct advantages over some characters, but nothing that can't be dealt with.

Quite simply, if your fighting against the ice climbers, you HAVE to KO Nana as soon as possible. Verticle recovery, throw interruption and there general effectiveness is altered by doing this.

Like people said before, the Ice climbers are sometimes disliked beacause there are two of them. But it's not like your fighting a fox and falco double team, there a partnership, destroy one and the other will usually follow.

I'll be playing the Ice climbers In brawl. Because there fun, rarely seen and can actually kick alot of ***.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
I would use the ice climbers. But friends always complain about the advantage of TWO of them(even though it usually makes it harder). However with the Wi-fi capabilities, I could main Icys as I don't have to adjust to the people I play with all the time.

I am yet to play brawl myself. At the moment it's a toss up between icys and falco.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Well said, Sfox. I think what it is all about is the fact that people use the "1-on-1" title against them stating that it's two on one. If people actually played as ICs, they'd see that you only control one character, the AI (Nana) just mimics your moves and that trying to babysit Nana from being killed now and again is one of the most skillful things in the game (risking suicide to try and up-B you both back to the stage). Chain grabbing isn't cheap either, it's just another unique skill that people who aren't clever enough to avoid it complain about. Ice Climbers rule. End of. Psy.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
the fact that there are two of them does not make them cheap, seeing as you only control one of them, and when you loose one, you are at a serious disadvantage. They are a very unique character, I do not use them, but respect people who play as them.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I love the Ice Climbers a lot. And I am glad they are back. They are cute, fun and interesting to use. Some of his B moves have been fixed so they are a bit better now. Don't underestimate them or you will suffer.

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
there should be no ice climber hate
you all should appreciate
there appearence in smash is great
their final smash will seal your fate
not to mention they're the best duo ever

Sonic_keyblade

Smash Apprentice
I have never used the IC before until SSE when I died as meta knight. I was amazed at their power, and then, when Nana died... suprised at Popo's dependence on her. but still, using the Ice Climbers isn't cheap. In fact, its about as cheap as the bubble shield.

I will definitly use them again.

Eventually.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There is no need to hate the Ice Climbers. They have the benefit of having strength in numbers, since using only Popo would be a big hurdle(but not as big as Olimar's).

Also, their moveset was made almost entirely from scratch, like good ol' Captain Falcon's.:falcon:

Not only that, they also have some aestethic appeal(in other words, they look cute:bee: ).

I enjoy playing with them from time to time, and others should learn to appreciate them too.;)

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
quoting a gamefaqs user from ages ago

"Ice Climbers are cheap because they have 2 characters and everyone else has 1"

That is why many people (mostly scrubs) automatically hate them.

JNS

Smash Cadet
I used to love the ICs in melee. They were the true definition of the wtf pickAfter meeting new players and beating them i always enjoyed the "How the hell did i get beat by two gay little eskimos that suck."
But eventually some people come to respect you for using them because They are really difficult to main even at a casual level.

I abandoned them with brawl mainly because they got nerfed badly , theyre desynchs were dif. and suffered a lot from the sp. techs that were removed from brawl, and i still wanted to be able to win consistently. I shifted to my old ssb64 main pikachu and one of my melee alts, peach but after seeing a few videos around here tonight i think i'm going to give them another shot. Although it's going to take a lot of practice. They are a very different charachter now.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I don't understand this thread. While I'm all for some Ice Climber loving, what are you trying to do here? You ask for peoples reasons why they hate the Ice Climbers, and then tell say "no, that's not right, and here's why". You're disagreeing with every point made in the thread. How can you come to an understanding that way?

I think that might have been what Omfgomfg's rather terse post meant.
T3h Kaiser is right. Something is definitely wrong with the way you are handling this topic, sfox8. I'm glad you're trying to understand why other players do not like Ice Climbers, but your retorts to everyone's opinions are not facilitating a balanced discussion. If anything, your responses are discouraging some people to express their opinions about Ice Climbers.

Allow me to illustrate T3h Kaiser's point more clearly:

This is an example of the narrow-mindedness that I see all the time. People say this about other characters as well. People say that about Kirby, Ness, etc. I fail to see how they are "cheap" in any way. As I said already, the fact that there are two of them forces the player to learn how to keep control over both and pay attention more to what's going on around them. You haven't mentioned what parts of the ICs justify their classification as "cheap" in your opinion. I don't see any characters as right out "cheap." If one cannot use the character, they immediately get classified as "cheap" or "useless." The ICs have many useful techniques and desyncing is one amazing technique that, if mastered can allow for a lot of different combos. Is that "cheap"? I wouldn't say so.

Also regarding their grabs, they may have "repetitive" grab combos, but so do many other characters. They also have an amazing infinite grab. That's definitely not "cheap." It's simply a technique that any advanced player can learn. They have just as many useful b moves as Kirby or any other character of the low or middle tier. Squall Hammer can even be used as an alternate recovery move.

These are the things that I see all the time and yet nobody can give valid reasons for why the ICs supposedly are the worst character and suck too much to be allowed to return to Brawl. I'm not saying you aren't good at using them (for all I know, you could have been an IC mainer at one point), but there's a huge difference between not being able to use a character to their full ability and the character just plain "sucking."
An individual expressed his OPINION about the Ice Climbers. In spite of you saying that he was stating facts, he indeed, was not. He read the original post, which was begging to understand why some people do not like Ice Climbers. He gave his opinion. That's it. Just like you said, part of a good discussion is understanding everyone's opinions. Instead, you took each of his opinions, labeled them as incorrect, and retorted with arguments as to why this individual's opinion was not satisfactory. Then, you even had the nerve to throw in a few insults, i.e. "This is an example of the narrow-mindedness that I see all the time".

No, you were not only expressing your opinions. You were also responding with arguments, rather than facilitating the discussion, toward this individual. On top of that, you insulted him. This is clearly not an appropriate way to handle a discussion.

:laugh: And this is an example of a person who likes to spam and wants to create drama where none is needed. Seriously, if you don't have anything useful to contribute, then why try and make someone else look dumb (and obviously fail)? I'm thankful that Chrisiscool and the other were able to reply in an intelligent manner, and that's all I asked for. Flaming and spamming is not necessary.

And sorry but, I hope you were being sarcastic because your use of "exemplify" really doesn't even make any sense.
Once again, you insult another individual, i.e. "and obviously fail". This individual, like a few others, was trying to show his frustration about this "discussion". His point is exactly what I am trying to illustrate right now. You're not allowing for a balanced discussion to take place. Your original post, and title of this topic, is extremely deceptive. You ask for opinions on why people do not like Ice Climbers, yet you shoot each one down with an argument without looking at the bigger context of these opinions. There has to be reasons why some people do not like Ice Climbers, correct? What are the roots of these reasons? The goal of this topic is supposed to explore these questions - not to shun them. If this was the case, then the topic should be called "Ice Climber LOVE".

heh, yes in many cases it does.

There's really no such thing as "cheap" in Smash Bros. (unless it happens to be a glitch or something that shouldn't be included in the gameplay) Every character has their ups and downs and their own abilities that will help them excel over other characters. That's not "cheap" that's strategy.
Yeah they feel weird at first, but once you use them more often, it comes second nature.

They have many more combos than just chain grabbing. As I mentioned before, desyncing introduces even MORE possible combos, on top of the ones they already have. They're like any other character. You just have to get used to and practice with them to have a fun experience. I feel the same way when I try to pick up another character that I rarely play as and use them without any previous practicing. It feels awkward and unresponsive. I find myself trying to do things with another character that I can only do with ICs, Kirby or Shiek or something.

And as far as that glitch goes, well... it's just that. A glitch. It's not meant to be part of the game and I'm pretty sure it won't be in Brawl. I've personally never even used it in any match with my friends. First off, it's just too much of a hassle to do, and secondly, I can never remember how to do it anyway. Plus, it's not really fair to use a glitch to win a match.
Now, I believe you do have some good intentions to carrying out a proper discussion. However, judging by all of your replies to individuals' opinions, I can see that you are motivated to quash all of the reasons why people do not like Ice Climbers. Is this your true motivation for creating this topic? If so, why not explicitly state it in your original post, instead of creating such a deceptive topic and luring individuals in to express their opinions, only to be ridiculed and insulted at? This is not a discussion. This is a rigged game at a carnival, and you, sfox8, are influencing your own topic to be this massive, biased war against honesty and individual expression.

Top Bottom