• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers and WiFi (What do you think??)

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

So I have to admit it, I've fallen in love with the Ice Climbers. To many, they aren't that great, they are the underdog characters of the game, as such, they don't sit well with many people. This could be for a multitude of reasons, one, they aren't the best pick-up and play character, as they take time to master. Secondly, let's face it, the Ice Climbers aren't exactly "cool" or "bad-***", and some people pick characters based on look.

Needless to say, if you're into the Ice Climbers, you know why you like them. They're versatile, once you get to know them, not to mention there's a wealth of combo opportunity with them. What makes them unique is their ability to de-sync, and once you've mastered a few approaches, they are hard to defend against, in addition to being difficult to read read. However, de-syncing is not their only strong suit, they also have absolutely stunning grab potential. Though, don't be fooled, their grabs take practice and skill.

Lately, I've been playing online with a friend, and I must say, I'm new to the WiFi scene, as of the last two weeks or so. All in all my experiences aren't bad, at first I experienced unrelenting lag. These days however, the only lag I experience is button-delay, which isn't really lag at all. This button-delay doesn't effect me with the majority of my characters, though, the Ice Climbers are another story. Pulling off alternating grabs is very difficult for me, though when I execute said grabs offline, I do quite well. In fact, I feel that the majority of their grab combos are made more difficult because of the button delay. One of my favorite finishing combos is alternating grab to Nana, then Popo charging usmash to Nana throwing opponent into the usmash. I find that this is a tad more difficult to pull off with the button delay.

Am I the only one to experience trouble with this? It could just be me. I suppose the only way to get around this is to play more online matches with the intent of practicing the grab combos with the button-delay. I am new to the Ice Climbers in general, so maybe timing is just something that I need to work with in general.

What do you guys think?

HolyChef

Smash Ace
i have the same problem with alternating grabs. i have a lot of trouble with that only online. it sucks, but not my much since thats the only real thing thats hard to impossible with lag. everything else is fine including the other grabs.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
It is not just you, wifi is just stupid like that. Its pretty impossible to time all the ice climbers stuff on wifi because of the dumb lag... :(

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Yeah. That's why I feel that despite the fact that WiFi is better than nothing, a true tournament should not be held on WiFi... at least, not if you play the Ice Climbers :p.

Chef, on average, I'd have to agree with you. If I have any problem with anything IC related on WiFi it's the alternating grabs. I think the reason I actually have trouble with my other grab combos is because I'm still new to the IC, as such, I don't think before I act. I'll grab then act to quickly, fearing that my enemy will escape. Or, I will mes-up with charging a smash via the c-stick + Z. Sounds lame I know, but I never use to use the c-stick in Melee as I proclaimed it was a "noob stick." I was such an idiot. Anyway, practice makes perfect I suppose.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
small frame windows for grabs = very tough to perform online

:C

just use someone easier online, xD!

kciD

Smash Journeyman
*insert character here* played on wifi is complete and udder balls. First of all, if you get used to timing with the button delay on wifi, then when you go to normal play it screws that up for a little while. Then, when you go back to wifi, it's screwed up until you get used to it again.

I just deleted my gamebattles account and I plan to never play wifi again, because it messes with my game too much. My personal advice would be to do the same, ESPECIALLY with the IC's because of the precision needed in de-syncing and other tactics. You have to have better reaction time to time these things correctly, and if you get used to a button delay online, once you go to play in a tournament off of wifi, it'll be all screwed up.

Basically, screw WiFi until (if ever, which I doubt will happen) the button delay is fixed.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol kciD you need to ADAPT son!!!

dsf and bardull and azen

are still freaking amazing online.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I disagree with all above posters... I have no trouble on wi-fi. Play people in your area, and don't do "random" battles, and you should be fine. Unless it's lagging up a storm, nothing is that much harder to time.

Awex

Smash Lord
Yeah really kcid, button delay takes like, 5 seconds to adapt to depending on you and your opponent's connection, and shouldn't mess up your offline game.

I hit a bunch of alternating grabs on a wifi match last night. BUT the connection was very good. Small button delay only. Still would rather play someone else on wifi.

Trozz

Smash Ace
ICs are not fun when lag is around. Some of their ridiculous combos require meticulous timing, and wifi will usually eat that. Latency ftl.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Playing the Ice Climbers in the 2v2 'with anyone' setting is horrible. I have had games that took 10 minutes to finish a 2 minute match because there was so much lag. You can't properly stay desynched or do grab combos on with anyone matches.

I have not tried them much in online 1v1 friend battles. I have tried other characters in 1v1 online matches and there hasn't been much lag, but the button delay is pretty noticeable. It would probably mess up my grab combos. The ice climbers just are not suited for online play.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
hmm. For the record, when I say that I've been playing with friends online, I'm playing with people that I know locally (a few towns away at most). So lag is simply not the problem. I have no issue de-syncing, or staying de-synced. Most of the grab combos are easy enough to pull off... but in my opinion they are definitely made more difficult due to the button delay. This is most notable when performing alternating grabs which of all the IC combos takes the most precise timing.

I'm going to perfect the alternating grab in training mode, then focus it on regular matches. I'll be hopeful with online matches, but as some of you said, it's not worth learning the timing for online matches as I'd only be use to the timing when there is a delay.

Swil

Smash Apprentice
I don't have too hard of a time using Ice Climbers online. Although I haven't tried to use alternating grabs yet, but I can set up the down throw fair chains pretty easily.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
some characters are better online than others

no matter how good you are, the button delay will screw with you

the more precise characters (ICs) are definitely more of a pain to use well on online. You can thank Nintendo's horrible online for that!

Just use Wolf or Marth >_>

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Zero deaths are completely impossible from what I've attempted. Well, aside from people getting trapped in a dthrow fair by the ledge.

I got down the fthrow infinite just recently and there's just no way the lag will allow it.

That's not to say they can't still be utter **** though. I can manage 0-70%ish with basic junk anyway. After which people are totally frazzled and continue getting owned. :laugh:

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Zero deaths are completely impossible from what I've attempted. Well, aside from people getting trapped in a dthrow fair by the ledge.

I got down the fthrow infinite just recently and there's just no way the lag will allow it.

That's not to say they can't still be utter **** though. I can manage 0-70%ish with basic junk anyway. After which people are totally frazzled and continue getting owned. :laugh:
Yeah, the only thing that is near impossible via wifi are the alt grabs.

Top Bottom