• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I wonder if Pit's early confirmation is a sign of things to come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Pit was the only Brawl character confirmed as well as the only veteran not to be from one of the Original Smash 64 series. Plus he's got a readjusted moveset to boot.

Could be a sign that his series is gonna get another rep? Could his different moveset mean a new Final Smash, freeing up Palutena? Do I need to go outside more?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm sure Smash4 development began right after Kid Icarus Uprising development (or something along those lines) was completed, not to mention KI:U was an amazing game as well. As you know, Sakurai is the guy behind the Smash Bros franchise, and was the one behind creating KI:U as well. Knowing that information so far, it felt like a coincidence that Pit would appear as early as he did, and that only means that Kid Icarus stuff and Pit are gonna get a lot more attention compared to Brawl.
There's already the Upperdash Arm and Guardian Orbitars as moves, in which they were weapons introduced in KI:U as well. This only means that there will be more Kid Icarus goodness to come for Smash as time and development goes on. I myself am hoping Palutena will be playable, because since of that coincidence from going from completing KI:U development to Smash4 development right away, and seeing Pit as one of the first shown, who already shows signs of influence from KI:U (again, those 2 new weapons), it's like that KI will most definitely get a 2nd rep who will be revealed later, and that spot should belong to Palutena.

To make it short, signs point that the Kid Icarus series and Pit will get a lot more love in Smash4 compared to Brawl, and a lot more stuff, which is also likely for a playable Palutena to be shown in the future.

Although there was also Bowser from Mario as well, who started out as a Melee character that was shown in the trailer, but that's just something minor. Hope it all helps.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I was stoked to see Pit take over Yoshi's spot in the 8, because since Uprising Pit has become my undisputed favourite Nintendo character. When he was added to Brawl I was guilty of thinking he was just making up the numbers, but now I'm totally sold.

Uprising alone added so many great characters to the franchise, almost all of whom would make great Smash additions. Since the reveal trailer I'm more confident than ever that Palutena will get in, though realistically (and disappointedly) I still think three KI reps is unlikely.

In the meantime I'll be coding my own Smash game with the following roster:

Pit
Dark Pit
Captain Pit
Pit Kong
Dr. Pit
King Pit
Mega Pit
Meta Pit
Mr. Pit & Watch
Pit Trainer
Toon Pit
Young Pit
Zero Suit Pit
Master Pit
Pit Man
General Pit
Pit Trooper
Masked Pit
Paper Pit
Professor Pit
Princess Pit
Pit Mk II
Space Pit

Anyone want to help me out with funding?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Nothing's better than the regular cute Pit that we have today, and that's all I expect. But yes, do add Palutena, though I wouldn't mind Phosphora as an optional choice either, but not Magnus or DP.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Nothing's better than the regular cute Pit that we have today, and that's all I expect. But yes, do add Palutena, though I wouldn't mind Phosphora as an optional choice either, but not Magnus or DP.
I don't know, I'm intrigued by Paper Pit...

It's so refreshing to see someone else who's not that keen on Dark Pit and Magnus. If I got to pick a third rep it would have to be Hades, fourth would be Viridi. Though of course I'd also love Pyrrhon and Phosphora. And Arlon the Serene.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I don't know, I'm intrigued by Paper Pit...

It's so refreshing to see someone else who's not that keen on Dark Pit and Magnus. If I got to pick a third rep it would have to be Hades, fourth would be Viridi. Though of course I'd also love Pyrrhon and Phosphora. And Arlon the Serene.

Idk, I don't wanna get into the "Paper Mario" bandwagon to avoid the Paper routine.

Amen. Magnus is just a fire-less Ike with less move potential, and DP is just a typical dark doppelganger clone (minus that kick). Seriously, what is it with ppl wanting dark doppelgangers?
Palutena has to be the sure 2nd rep for the KI series if anything. If a 3rd did appear, it'd likely be between Phosphora and Viridi. For where Phosphora does show off fighting skills, and well, Sakurai loves Viridi and I'm sure he'd create be able to create a moveset for her.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Sakuai could create a moveset for the Wii Fit Trainer and the Villager any character could work.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
If he's willing to put the Goddess of Light in, then I'm sure I'll be cheerful, along with us fellow KI and Palutena fans.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think Kid Icarus would have been mentioned as a franchise by the start of the trailer if it wouldn't get a newcomer. I believe that's the reason Pit took Yoshi's spot: Yoshi will obviously still be all alone, while Pit will most likely be accompanied by Palutena, thus it's more worthwhile to advertise Kid Icarus as a franchise. I hope the same can be said for Metroid with Samus and DK stealing Kirby and Pikachu's spots in the Main 4.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Most definitely Palutena before anyone else. Speaking of other KI things, since many stages of the game will tie to the platform that it's in (3ds stages from 3ds games, and wii stages from wii games for the versions respectively), I would be expecting more KI-related stages in the 3ds version rather than the Wii U version.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of other KI things, since many stages of the game will tie to the platform that it's in (3ds stages from 3ds games, and wii stages from wii games for the versions respectively), I would be expecting more KI-related stages in the 3ds version rather than the Wii U version.

I know! The 3DS version will get an uprising stage while the WiiU version get a retro 8-bit stage inspired by the first gaem. Even better, the 3DS version get a Myths and Monsters stage

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping Hades will get added either along side or instead of Palutena. Palutena's a great character, but Hades has so much more potential. It's about time we had a top tier villain, and MK doesn't really count.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I'm hoping Hades will get added either along side or instead of Palutena. Palutena's a great character, but Hades has so much more potential. It's about time we had a top tier villain, and MK doesn't really count.
meta knight is more an anti-hero. so yeah, you're right there
im not sure if having pit in the trailer was telling us theres gonna be another rep more than it was showing the variety of Nintendo characters, but if KI gets another rep, then Im hoping for a villain character. theres just something about having an even amount of good/evil characters that I feel adds more flavor to a game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think that Pit's early confirmation means anything.

But I guess people like to over-analyse.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of other KI things, since many stages of the game will tie to the platform that it's in (3ds stages from 3ds games, and wii stages from wii games for the versions respectively), I would be expecting more KI-related stages in the 3ds version rather than the Wii U version.
As long as one of them is or has the music of the Thunder Cloud Temple, I'm happy. Would also be a good way to sneak Phosphora in as a background NPC if nothing else.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd be down with another Kid Icarus character. And I'll admit, I have a gut feeling we'll see another rep. Whether or not that has anything to do with Pit being confirmed early has yet to be seen. But I do think that the possible newcomer will likely be Palutena. I'd be pretty happy with that. But I can't see any other character being likely. Dark Pit would go back to being a re-color. And Hades or Medusa could act as a boss of sorts.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pray for Palutena I guess? There's still about a year to hope, so yea. >_<

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Pray for Palutena I guess? There's still about a year to hope, so yea. >_<
I c wut u did thar. Also do want, but that's not about Pit.

Pit honestly makes the most sense to be fair to be shown as the Brawl vet right away. ZSS is apparently hidden, Wario would be a bit overkill since Bowser was the Melee rep, MK is Kirby, Snake is who knows where and 3rd party, and the rest are either not givens to return (Ike, PT) or part of a series (King Dedede). As for the "well it'll have another new character for sure" thing, I think it's just simply to show a Brawl vet in the trailer, much like how Bowser was (who was also a logical choice, outside of Marth, but who knows what's going on with him) the sort of obvious choice for the Melee vet to be shown and a villain to boot.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'll just be praying for Palutena. I view her as a shoe-in regardless.

Everyone else is pretty much icing.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I c wut u did thar. Also do want, but that's not about Pit.

Pit honestly makes the most sense to be fair to be shown as the Brawl vet right away. ZSS is apparently hidden, Wario would be a bit overkill since Bowser was the Melee rep, MK is Kirby, Snake is who knows where and 3rd party, and the rest are either not givens to return (Ike, PT) or part of a series (King Dedede). As for the "well it'll have another new character for sure" thing, I think it's just simply to show a Brawl vet in the trailer, much like how Bowser was (who was also a logical choice, outside of Marth, but who knows what's going on with him) the sort of obvious choice for the Melee vet to be shown and a villain to boot.

Pit appeared this early most likely due to Uprising's influence, as if his new moves weren't enough proof. Put those 2 together and it shows the likeliness that both the game's and Pit being revealed so early will bring in another KI rep, which was also why I mentioned Palutena. You could consider it a potential chain reaction if you will.
Bowser's okay, probably just needed to show his improvements, and yes bout him being the current villain.

Neo Zero

Pit appeared this early most likely due to Uprising's influence, as if his new moves weren't enough proof. Put those 2 together and it shows the likeliness that both the game's and Pit being revealed so early will bring in another KI rep, which was also why I mentioned Palutena. You could consider it a potential chain reaction if you will.
Bowser's okay, probably just needed to show his improvements, and yes bout him being the current villain.
Like I said, he's the only shoe in from Brawl who was logical to show and not part of another series (Olimar being the only other series to really go into but even he isn't a shoe in). It's very likely I grant you, but not because he was shown first. Chain reaction is a good way to put it though, and I do expect to see her in some form.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, if you want to get technical, Diddy Kong and Pit are both shoe-ins from Brawl on about the same level. However, since DK's series didn't need another rep in the trailer, it's relatively moot I guess.

Groose

Smash Champion
I like how Pit was introduced so early. To me, that signifies the fact that Nintendo is taking Kid Icarus really seriously. It deserves it; it's easily my favorite game purchase of the last year (actually, Luigi's Mansion is gaining as I play through it, but still).

Hong

The Strongest
I was actually one of the few blessed with a Kid Icarus childhood. It was a very important game for me.

I don't know what is going to happen, but anything that means more of it is good news to me. I wouldn't mind a game that actually played more like the original.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, it's nice to see that Pit's getting a lot of love. But I'm still hoping for a chain reaction that means
Pit's early reveal + KI:U influence = Playable Palutena and some Kid Icarus stages (mostly for the 3ds),

Bosses in the game + KI:U influence, let the boss be the flaming 2-headed Nintendog

And the items? So many to choose from, from the Lightning of Judgment to the Smart Bomb, Cyclone, and more!

Oh, all the many possibilities, and I look forward to it all.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
What, no love for Medusa?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm sure Sakurai has plans for more villains in the new Smash, but I'm not certain Medusa would be one of the playable ones. D: I mean all we the ones we got in Brawl were like Wario, Bowser, Wolf, and Ganon. At best, Medusa may be one of those new trophies (along with Viridi since Sakurai does love Viridi), or even a cameo in a possible KI stage that we've yet to see. But like it has been said before, it's too early to tell what Sakurai's got planned, not to mention development is far from done. I'd say wait for up to a few months for potential big stuff to come. If it comes sooner, then yay.
But you know me, my main priorities is seeing more of Pit, a playable Palutena, and more KI goodness. Of course I know Sakurai has a lot of good things for the Kid Icarus series for this Smash for reasons I've already said before. All we gotta do is wait, and hope. Pit shown this early + that KI:U (without the Uprising part) logo from the trailer + Pit having some moves influenced by Uprising is the first part, so what's next?

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Don't pretend you don't want it... ;)

There are definitely sections of the fandom who'd be very excited at the prospect of Zero Suit Pit. Or Zero Suit Link, for that matter.

What, no love for Medusa?
If Kid Icarus is getting a villain I'd really rather have Hades than Medusa. Although both of them might be ineligible for not originating in video games, being (severely retooled) characters from classical mythology. That would also rule out the more unlikely choices such as Pyrrhon and Thanatos.

Still leaves Palutena, Viridi and Phosphora clear, though.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Don't pretend you don't want it... ;)

There are definitely sections of the fandom who'd be very excited at the prospect of Zero Suit Pit. Or Zero Suit Link, for that matter.
"If the Rewind Spring Zero Suit did this to Pandora Samus, I shudder to think of its effect on Pitty! No one wants to see him in that outfit. I'd better destroy the spring suit." :p

If Kid Icarus is getting a villain I'd really rather have Hades than Medusa. Although both of them might be ineligible for not originating in video games, being (severely retooled) characters from classical mythology. That would also rule out the more unlikely choices such as Pyrrhon and Thanatos.
If you're ruling out Thanatos and Pyrrhon, I think you're ruling out way too many folks from Kid Icarus. Heck, we might as well get rid of Cu-pit-d and Pallas-Athena.

Pyrrhon actualy isn't someone from Greek Mythology anyways. While he is an amalgamation of several Greek sun-things, none bears his name (except for the founder of Philosophical Skepticism ... which is probably the exact opposite of him).

Phosphora is loosely based off of Electra, a Greek tragic figure who killed her own mother with help from her brother (well, that's grim), and named with a reference to radiance or light (explain the electricity), so she's ineligible too.

Viridi's inspiration is Demeter, the Greek goddess of the Harvest who also is associated with vengeance, hence the whole "Humans are the scum of the earth who deserve to be the fertilizer to my flower garden" thing.

I honestly doubt there is a single original character in Uprising: Those who were not based of off Greek Mythology were inspired by other videogames. The only thing Uprising did was give everybody a funny, memorable personality (not that there is anything wrong with that).

As for Hades vs. Medusa, I think it really comes down to personal preference. Medusa is the classic villain who would be fun to fight against, but Hades is... Hades. Palutena beats them both by a long shot, though.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
"If the Rewind Spring Zero Suit did this to Pandora Samus, I shudder to think of its effect on Pitty! No one wants to see him in that outfit. I'd better destroy the spring suit." :p
I bet if you searched the fan art sites you'd find a few!

If you're ruling out Thanatos and Pyrrhon, I think you're ruling out way too many folks from Kid Icarus. Heck, we might as well get rid of Cu-pit-d and Pallas-Athena.

Pyrrhon actualy isn't someone from Greek Mythology anyways. While he is an amalgamation of several Greek sun-things, none bears his name (except for the founder of Philosophical Skepticism ... which is probably the exact opposite of him).

Phosphora is loosely based off of Electra, a Greek tragic figure who killed her own mother with help from her brother (well, that's grim), and named with a reference to radiance or light (explain the electricity), so she's ineligible too.

Viridi's inspiration is Demeter, the Greek goddess of the Harvest who also is associated with vengeance, hence the whole "Humans are the scum of the earth who deserve to be the fertilizer to my flower garden" thing.
I take your point on Pyrrhon (I'd misremembered his name) but otherwise it seems to me you're the one ruling out too many. Inspiration is different to origin. That's like ruling out Link because he dresses similarly to Peter Pan / Robin Hood, Donkey Kong for using the suffix 'Kong' or Pikachu for being inspired by and partially named after a Pika.

I honestly doubt there is a single original character in Uprising: Those who were not based of off Greek Mythology were inspired by other videogames. The only thing Uprising did was give everybody a funny, memorable personality (not that there is anything wrong with that).

As for Hades vs. Medusa, I think it really comes down to personal preference. Medusa is the classic villain who would be fun to fight against, but Hades is... Hades.
Agreed. What I did was draw a technicality line under those whose names were exact matches. In Hades' case he's also fulfilling the role of the mythological character as Lord of the Underworld. Although Medusa's mythology has changed her name and appearance still match the mythology. That's why I singled those two out as ineligible.

I'd actually love to have them both included, I was just pointing out that one of Sakurai's laws could be used to reasonably exclude them.

Palutena beats them both by a long shot, though.
Yeah, I suspect it's all academic speculating about a third KI rep this time around.

However I'd also like to point out that a lot of people are writing the future of the series off prematurely. Sakurai only said that HE wouldn't develop a sequel. Sure, he was fairly certain that there were no plans to push ahead with one, but if Nintendo wanted to they could easily start work with another creator/director any time they chose. We can only hope, right?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The Kid Icarus rep being considered important enough to show off over, say, Captain Falcon or Ness definitely does bode well for the chances of another KI rep.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit really has come a long way tbh. Starting from being a not-so-popular character in a not-so-popular series, to being a Brawl newcomer who was indeed shown in the trailer, to having the series revived via Kid Icarus Uprising which became a popular game, to being a veteran shown in the Smash4 trailer and looking as epic as ever. I really do hope Palutena will be playable due to Pit's influence, and don't forget some Kid Icarus stages and items too, all that KI goodness to appear in Smash.

NINmann01

Smash Rookie
...I've seen a lot of people hoping for Palutena... I want Hades in SSB4

Just because he is the greatest Nintendo villain of all time, and would be awesome to see a Hades VS Ganondorf throw down.
But hey, I'm cool with Sakurai adding both Palutena and Hades. It was his goal to bring Kid Icarus up to a level to catch up with Nintendo's main franchises.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Sakurai wants Palutena in but if it comes to the line, she'll be one of the first cut. It happened with Dedede twice before.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I rather Pit and Medusa...
And when Sakurai end all the Smash work, a new KI for WiiU could be just... awesome.
With a game for the handheld and console, finally KI would be a important Nintendo series.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
KI so needs to be expanded as a series and needs more anime shorts of em, especially Palutena's. But then if they made a new game, who'd be the villain be since Medusa and Hades were defeated? I forgot the name of the antagonist in "Of Myths and Monsters" though... Orcos was it?

Neo Zero

KI so needs to be expanded as a series and needs more anime shorts of em, especially Palutena's. But then if they made a new game, who'd be the villain be since Medusa and Hades were defeated? I forgot the name of the antagonist in "Of Myths and Monsters" though... Orcos was it?
If Ganondorf can come back Willy nilly, I'm sure a real god can shrug off face disintegration if they wanted to reuse an old one.

Also the Palutena anime short <3<3<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom