• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS I was blown away by the graphics on the 3DS version

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Recently played Smash 3DS for the first time, and I have to say, screenshots nor pre-recorded or live stream videos do this game any justice at all. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked; yeah it's not the best-looking 3DS game out there but I feel like this because of all the footage I've seen which made the game look average in my eyes. I would say this probably looks a little bit better than Brawl.
I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, most 3DS games in general don't seem very impressive on screenshots or videos but look gorgeous once you play them. I know this is old news but just wanted to share my reaction.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Yeah I was suprised too, I thought it would look horrible and I was wrong.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I was on the same boat as you. The initial streams and regular screenshots didn't make the game look too great. That all changed when several users began streaming at 60fps, and that made me realize how good the game really looks! I'll go as far as to say I think it looks much more appealing than Brawl. Getting to play the demo myself only cemented my beliefs further.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
I felt the same way once I got my hands on the demo last Friday.
It looks amazing once you actually play it, and the thing here, if this 3DS version is good, imagine the WiiU version of it.
Amazing

Azaris

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1848-1701-2271
I always say don't judge a game's graphics by the screen shots. They usually blow up screen shots of portable games,and that causes them to look pixelated.

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
I especially like the 3d. In the demo when Megaman used his final smash all the Mega Men and especially X looked like he was jumping out of the screen. Also when characters get smashed towards the screen it looks great too. Graphic wise i would say it somehow reaches Brawl quality which is amazing.

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I was so nervous about how the game would look on my original 3DS, but all my fears were dispelled the moment I got my hands on the demo. The game looks incredible. I can only imagine how nice the Wii U version will look now.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
I was so nervous about how the game would look on my original 3DS, but all my fears were dispelled the moment I got my hands on the demo. The game looks incredible. I can only imagine how nice the Wii U version will look now.
Original as in the first 3DS Model with the glossy look?
I have the small one, Glossy Red to be exact, and i'll be purchasing the new 3DS with the c-stick when it comes out in the U.S.

Either way it looks amazing.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
I felt the same way once I got my hands on the demo last Friday.
It looks amazing once you actually play it, and the thing here, if this 3DS version is good, imagine the WiiU version of it.
Amazing
That's not how it works

The wii u was shown on a big screen in HD like it would be at anyone's TV screen

The 3DS screen had been made like 4 times bigger in the videos y'all watched

Most vids have **** quality when enlarged that much

For people that can make something out of the smallest things said by sakurai, I'm surprised most of you weren't able to get that xD

Last edited:

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I think it's the art style that really makes the graphics stand out. If it had been done like brawl, it wouldn't look nearly as impressive.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
In my experience, 3DS games always look significantly better than initial impressions based off online vids and screens. It's certainly a nice surprise when it happens since I seem to forget that fact often. I guess there's something magical about that 3DS screen that makes games look awesome!

Renji64

Smash Lord
I thought the game was ugly then when i played the demo i was shocked how smooth it was and how good the character models looked. This means i will be even more impressed with it on wiiu.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The game looks amazing, but I wasn't surprised. I have played Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Kid Icarus Uprising and quite a few other great-looking 3DS titles before, so I knew how good the graphics in a 3DS game could be. IMO Smash 3DS looks much more pleasing than Brawl and Melee ever looked.

Khao

Smash Lord
That's not how it works

The wii u was shown on a big screen in HD like it would be at anyone's TV screen
Think of the compression though. That thing really changes things around.

And most people have only seen 30fps footage because of Youtube anyway. Stuff will look far smoother when actually playing, which makes for a huge difference.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Right? It looks so good. I can't believe the strides that were made considering this is the first handheld smash in the series. Nintendo is listening.

Last edited:

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Think of the compression though. That thing really changes things around.

And most people have only seen 30fps footage because of Youtube anyway. Stuff will look far smoother when actually playing, which makes for a huge difference.
Oh yeah, that's true

Top Bottom