• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want to play smash on my computer monitor

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
That actually looks perfect, although you might have to tweak the display options and what not. All in all, you should be able to play smash on your computer monitor without TOO MUCH trouble.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yupper, you got it, Ryzol. That device should do the job.

But be warned. Brawl is going to lag on your computer monitor. It might not be the best way to play competitively, if that's what you're trying to do.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
I'm mainly interested in Melee. Regardless would the lag matter? It's a 5ms refresh time, is that really enough to make a difference? What's the refresh time of a standard TV?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Refresh time isn't the issue. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes, as it were. You're giving your TV a 480i signal, and unless the native resolution of the display is 480i, you're going to get deinterlacing lag, upscaling lag, or both. And that's in addition to a load of preprocessing that modern TV's and monitors do to try and make your picture look prettier.

In melee, you'll definitely notice it. The game becomes unplayable at a high level because certain techniques are impossible with a delay.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
Is there a more expensive convertor I can buy that would do most of that preprocessing? I don't need a link to one, I just need the name of whatever gadget would solve the problem.

EDIT: It has has DVI input if that helps.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
If you play Smash on the computer monitor, could you be able to record the footage using a screen video capture program?

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
If you play Smash on the computer monitor, could you be able to record the footage using a screen video capture program?
To answer your question Jan, It would be possible using either Camtasia or a Hypercam (the free but lower quality one). Those programs simply record pixel monitor movement, any and everything that moves in the selected area will be recorded and saved :). You can also record sound with a Hypercam, very useful tool.

I would suggest getting a capture card if you're into that kind of thing XD

Hope I've helped :)

--The MOP

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Your going to need a Wii VGA box. I was looking into it a few months back, but I just don't have the money right now.

Nayib_x3

Smash Cadet
Why not use emulation? The only problem is the controls. You might only have to buy a computer gamepad. If you own a PlayStation of any sort, you can buy the converter to USB for $14 on eBay. That's what I use.

Overload

Smash Lord
Why not use emulation? The only problem is the controls. You might only have to buy a computer gamepad. If you own a PlayStation of any sort, you can buy the converter to USB for $14 on eBay. That's what I use.
It takes a mighty powerful computer to run melee decently.

Top Bottom