• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Want D1 to Commentate Top 8

Revven

FrankerZ
They're not going to "get" the high level commentary if they don't understand the game. Even if we didn't get Chen for Top 8, I guarantee you that prog and D1 would definitely, definitely be aiming most of their commentary at the general audience who don't or haven't seen top level Smash before. The difference is, the people who watch EVO are the same people who watch other big tournaments where James Chen is prominently seen commentating for those other games. They'll feel a lot more at home with someone recognizable alongside prog than D1 would be to them (no offense to D1 obviously).

It would be different if this was the biggest Smash tournament at a Smash international/major, but it's not a Smash only tournament. It's at the biggest fighting game tournament in the world, where there's more than just Smash there and you're going to have a much broader audience than just Smashers watching; even in the crowd.

This isn't aimed squarely at Smash players. Tens of thousands of people are going to be watching the live stream at home, those people need to not be lost in what's going on on-screen. They need to be part of the hype WE experience at every tournament. If we want people to get into our game the same way, they absolutely need someone like James to ask prog questions about certain things so that audience doesn't get lost in favor of the traditional commentary they don't understand.

Have some perspective. We have the stage we've been wanting again for years, one sacrifice out of the many accommodations the EVO staff has already given us is nothing. And again I stress to you that James Chen isn't going to go in there knowing nothing and acting like "oh oh! what was that?" He has general knowledge of the game and is familiar with it on some level. He's going to prep for it, that's what any great commentator like James does. This isn't the first time he's commentated a game he doesn't play at a high level.

If it turns out I'm wrong somehow and Top 8 commentary is abysmal, I'll eat a sock.

Jun.

Smash Lord
James Chen (a guy who knows how to be professional but doesn't know Smash) talking and asking questions about Smash to Prog during Top 8 and Prog answering them seems to be the most effective route if you're going to use the argument for commentary being aimed at an audience that doesn't know Smash as well

Smash already is gonna get a **** ton of stream flak and people talking smack about it when it comes on the stream. Having James Chen onboard will at least convince some non-smash players to stay and watch.

Not to mention the co-commentary could act as a bridge between two previously hostile communities.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
This is good for us, but i'm thinking.... what if prog gets all hyped up on the mic by something James doesn't fully understand lol

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Then James will ask, why was that awesome, and Prog will explain. Something I note when he did that thing with scar he got hyped over m2k gimping mango, his face was priceless.

D1

Banned via Administration
I agree with the familiar face but as far explaining smash stuff goes me and Prog did that countless times. Anyway, dead thread. Peace.

Top Bottom