• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I tripped 6 times in the span of one minute. Random? I call bullcrap.

Smash Ace
Tripping's not random; my opponents trip all the time. Then again, I play Diddy more than anyone else.

Yeah, it's random. It's possible that how we'll you're doing effects the probability (although I doubt it), but it's still random. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
I could see the chances increasing depending on how much of a lead someone has. It fits in with Sakurai's scrub mentality. Pity final smashes anyone? Help the loser, inhibit the winner. Enjoy a hearty laugh!
I forget where I saw the topic, but somebody who did some testing found out that when there were two different Mario's, each attached the same Wavebird, one with 1 stock and one with 5 stock, out of 15 trips, the 5 stock one tripped 15 times and the 1 stock one never.

I think it's really another one of those "advantages" that Sakurai just loves to give to the losers oh so much.

Yeah, too bad you can't turn off "pity" final smashes.

Like you two said, I wouldn't be surprised if the winning player has a higher chance of tripping.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I cannot believe Sakurai did not make ONE mention of tripping in the last update. Kind of irritating.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Tripping seems to be pretty common in Boss Battle mode. And I hate it.

Zeik188

Smash Cadet
I remember reading about this kinda stuff before. Its just like PSO. Its completely random, you just got unlucky. With each step, there's that chance for you to trip, and you just got it alot.

Sonic_keyblade

Smash Apprentice
I was about to beat my friend.... who won all the local tourneys... As I came in for the kill, "Oh crap... I tripped"

I lost >.>

Lucas players can trip anytime they want... its called "Up taunt"

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
So what you are saying is that the frequency of the trips during that match were only caused by a match that might not have had any tripping in it...?

....Are you serious? D=

THEN THAT MEANS THAT THE GAME DOES HAVE IT OUT FOR ME! >=(
It's rare but possible. Remember, statistically there is no memory on this. Everytime you dash there is a 1% chance you will trip. Which theoretically would mean you are guaranteed to trip once every one hundred dashes. However stastically this is possible just not so common.

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
I don't know. Tripping is defenetly annoying. I think it is for the most part random, but I do notice that whenever I am doing really good that I start to trip a lot more. It get's really irretating. Oh well.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
You can't trip while walking. It's the basic risk/reward scenario.

Is it worth dashing to have that 1% chance to trip?

If you trip in a match, it's your own fault for not walking or jumping instead.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Hmm odd, useully it takes a good load of down a moves to make you trip faster when you get hit. But if you try to dash dance a lot, then I would understand, or if you was at an ice area and ran a lot, then that to. But 6 in one minute is a lot, but I would still call it Random if none of the stuff I said you didn't do. But you are the first person I know that triped that many times, I only trip twice or three times in a match that last at least four minutes. =/

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Interesting, the number of trips I do do not matter on character, but my overall placement (if I'm winning or not and how much). It could be another thing that helps the n00bs. When facing my brothers, I'm typically in the lead and always seem to trip more. Once we decode this, we will know for sure. It's kind of fun to discuss.

McBadass

Smash Rookie
I think we can all say that no matter what happens with tripping, whether it helps u to win or lose, its quite possibly the gayest thing to be added to smash ever. The guy who made tripping also obviously made the electroplankton level. (It blows!)

shatoga

Smash Cadet
Oh, and random things can happen quite often if you have bad luck.
For those who played pokemon, I've already seen someone having a freeze status for 30 turns. Doesn't mean the game hate you, or that it is bullcrap. The chance is there and it can happen, so we should just get used to it when that happens.
So true. I've had attacks miss for over 10 turns in a match once.It all depends on your luck.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Six times? In one minute? That seems rather unfortunate, but tell me, what was the point of this thread? To complain about tripping? I think there are enough threads in the forum backlogs about that.

Game out to get you? No. Did your luck turn to **** that round? Certainly seems like it.

Although I have to say, this is why betting money on a smash bros match always baffled me. XD

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Imagine this, you're playing in one of the biggest tournaments and you're about to win $1000.

You go for the last hit then suddenly you accidentally trip and fall off the stage and you lose, GG.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Since we all hate tripping so much, lets throw brawl in the trash and go back to playing melee!

Yay!

Live with it, dont ***** about it...

W00t 69th post

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Threads like this should be bannable offenses. For ****'s sake people: IT IS RANDOM, PERIOD, IT HAS BEEN PROVEN BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT. Let it go.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I tripped 0 times in 10 matches. Random? I call bullcrap.

I also tripped 10 times in 1 match.

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
I completely disagree with it being random. When i dashdance (yes, dashdance, not foxtrot) i usually trip within the first 5-10 seconds, and i can pay entire matches (and cover much ground) and not trip at all. certainly some moves make tripping more likely.

Tachita

Smash Cadet
I'm really not a technical player but I have this little theory (Backed only in really few research)

But anyways, remember that if one player is being really owned the game gives him a "Pity final smash"
Well what if this tripping ocurrs by opposite?

Maybe Sakurai in his intentions to balance the game he made that if a player is playing a lot better than the others he/she may trip to "balance" the game

I know it sounds really odd and I repeat this is backed by only me pwning my brother and always tripping
So take it as you want

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hitaku's done extensive testing. Who's in the lead does not matter. The game sucks and has it out for you.

quazer games

Smash Rookie
Tripping has saved me before, right past my opponent.

Anyway, I think that tripping is a hoot. As Sonic I can rush to one side of the stage (and if I trip, no biggie, Sonic hops up quick, too) and wait for someone to trip and dash attack them.

come to think of it, I run all the time with Sonic, and only tripped twice, while I trip more often using other charaters. :p

Top Bottom