• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think this might be interesting to look at (Melee 1999 Poll)

GenG

Smash Lord
In the N64 japanese webpage, the Melee poll has been kept up to date. I was interested so I took a peak in.

The poll, with a lot of suggestions.

But, unlike the Brawl poll, at the end of the Melee poll there w[/B]as a count of all suggestions made (no wonder why Sakurai didn't do that with the last one).

The "oldcomers" poll

1. Kirby
2. Ness
3. Link
4. Captain Falcon
5. Pikachu
6. Samus
7. Luigi
8. Mario
9. Fox
10. Yoshi
11. Jigglypuff
12. DK

(Odd results by the way...)

Now, The "newcomers" poll

Repeated rankings mean ties.

1. Bowser
2. Princess Peach
3. Wario
4. King Dedede
5. Ganon (Ganondorf)
6. James Bond
6. Mewtwo
8. Banjo & Kazooie
9. Toad
10. Mew
11. Marth
12. Mr Saturn
12. Ash - Pokemon series protagonist
12. Random Fire Emblem characters
15. Goey (Kirby)
16. Diddy Kong
16. SUKAPON OH MY
18. Random Pokémon (Pokémon... how random)
19. Metaknight
19. Lugia

Then, at the end of the poll, Sakurai makes some comments, saying that that top requested characters like Mewtwo, Peach, Wario, Koopa and Dedede were planned for SSB64 but they got problems. That's interesting for sure. It will be funny to know how pissed were the Wario fans after noticing that he didn't appeared in Melee, while Peach did. Lame.

And the last count, "newcomers" sorted by series.

Super Mario Bros.
1. Bowser
2. Peach
3. Wario
4. Toad
5. Koopa Troopa
6. Magikoopa
7. Goomba
8. Geno (no love for Geno)
9. Mallow
10. Baby Mario

Pokémon
1. Mewtwo
2. Mew
3. Ash
4. Random Pokémon
5. Lugia
6. Meowth
7. Raichu
8. Maril
8. Bulbasaur
8. Togepi

Legend of Zelda:
1. Ganon (Ganondorf)
2. Young Link
2. Princess Zelda
2. Sheik
5. Darunia

Kirby
1. King Dedede
2. Goey
3. Metaknight
4. Random Kirby companions
5. Waddle Dee

MOTHER
1. Mr Saturn
2. Poo
3. Mother 2 other protagonists
3. Paula
4. Starman
4. Jeff

Star Fox
1. Falco
2. Slippy
3. Wolf
4. Peppy

Fire Emblem:
1. Marth
2. Random Fire Emblem Characters
3. Oguma
4. Celice
5. Sigurd
5. Leaf

RARE related
1. 007 James Bond
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Diddy Kong (what?)
4. Robot of Blast Corps (didn't specified)
4. 006 Trevelyan

Other series
1. Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
2. Lip (Panel de Pon)
3. Richard Ougi (A Bell tolls for the Frogs)
4. Metroid (Metroid includes baby Metroid)
4. Blacky (Wrecking Crew)
6. Pit (Kid Icarus)
6. Ogre (Shin Oni ga Shima)
6. The Marvelous Party (from the game Marvelous, click here for info)
9. Samurai Goroh (F-Zero)
9. Popo & Nana (oh yeah)
9. Balloon Fighter protagonist

Characters not belonging to Nintendo
1. Chocobo
2. Doraemon (Doraemon tier lol)
3. Bomberman
4. Crash Bandicoot
5. Sonic
5. Megaman

I think you may find something more looking through these pages, but I think this worth the read and taking conclusions.

D

Deleted member

Guess the Japanese really did want Marth...

Its interesting to note that a large percentage of those characters wanted got in.

I hope Sakurai does some more research into other characters, or opens up an international poll.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Whos Doraemon? Is that Dora the Explorer in Japan? jk. ^_^

No seriously, whos Doraemon? Pic plz.

oh, btw, nice find. Never knew there was a poll for SSBM. I guess the board went through this same drama as it is now.

oh yea..... were people crazy for Sonic in SSB the as they are now?

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Now, this is quite interesting. Nearly all, if not all, of the top placers on those lists made it into melee. Even Mr. Saturn, who came as quite a shock to me. Do you suppose the same may hold true for Brawl and Sakurai's list this time around?

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Doraemon for you...

This thing was one of the most popular japanese votes for Melee?!!?!?

.....I fear for Brawl..... Especially how some **** going around like having alot of swordfighters in is a bad thing......................................

WTF

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I remember that poll! DK came in last, which really shocked people because he's friggin Donkey Kong. How can you NOT like the guy? :laugh:

It is weird that all those appeared in some form, though. I knew about most of those, but Marth? Funky. I had a really really good hunch he would appear before Melee, to the point of pissing people off with my prodding (kinda like me and Takamaru now :embarrass); never knew all that time people were clamoring for him.

Funny that Dedede STILL didn't appear... AND Meta Knight, who was below him, HAS. And WHO is the number 1 on the new Brawl polls? :)

I guess we know ONE of the secret characters in Brawl now...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Super Mario Bros.
1. Bowser
2. Peach
3. Wario

4. Kinopio
5. Koopa Troopa
6. Magikoopa
7. Goomba
8. Geno
9. Mallow
10. Baby Mario

Pokémon
1. Mewtwo
2. Mew
3. Ash
4. Random Pokémon
5. Lugia
6. Meowth
7. Raichu
8. Maril
8. Bulbasaur
8. Togepi

Legend of Zelda:
1. Ganon (Ganondorf)
2. Young Link
2. Princess Zelda
2. Sheik

5. Darunia

Kirby
1. King Dedede
2. Goey
3. Metaknight
4. Random Kirby companions
5. Waddle Dee

MOTHER
1. Mr Saturn
2. Poo
3. Mother 2 other protagonists
3. Paula
4. Starman
4. Jeff

Star Fox
1. Falco
2. Slippy
3. Wolf
4. Peppy

Fire Emblem:
1. Marth
2. Random Fire Emblem Characters
3. Oguma
4. Celice
5. Sigurd
5. Leaf

RARE related
1. 007 James Bond
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Diddy Kong
4. Robot of Blast Corps
4. 006 Trevelyan

Other series
1. Sukapon
2. Lip
3. Richard Ougi
4. Metroid
4. Blacky
6. Pit
6. Ogre
6. The Marvelous Party
9. Samurai Goroh
9. Popo & Nana
9. Balloon Fighter protagonist

Characters not belonging to Nintendo
1. Chocobo
2. Doraemon
3. Bomberman
4. Crash Bandicoot
5. Sonic
5. Megaman
the ones in Bold are the ones that have been in and the ones in italics and underline are the ones that proberly will be in.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
But, unlike the Brawl poll, at the end of the Melee poll there was a count of all suggestions made (no wonder why Sakurai didn't do that with the last one).
Probably because there was a bajillion more suggestions and a good chunk of them were 3rd party ideas.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Hmm, three of the top four Super Mario Bros characters got in Melee and Brawl, now there's just one left...

DokturSea

Smash Lord
thank you, as you realize i wrote many of the characters slighted in "melee". that means the ones who were high on the poll but didn't make it... go back to your third grade reading class...
Hey, I was trying to politley correct you, but why not just act like a butthole and dish out some half-***** insult. That's a good way to make friends.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh yeah, I remember that poll! DK came in last, which really shocked people because he's friggin Donkey Kong. How can you NOT like the guy? :laugh:

It is weird that all those appeared in some form, though. I knew about most of those, but Marth? Funky. I had a really really good hunch he would appear before Melee, to the point of pissing people off with my prodding (kinda like me and Takamaru now :embarrass); never knew all that time people were clamoring for him.

Funny that Dedede STILL didn't appear... AND Meta Knight, who was below him, HAS. And WHO is the number 1 on the new Brawl polls? :)

I guess we know ONE of the secret characters in Brawl now...
Whoa, I am quite shocked to that DK scored so **** low! ;_; Guess that was all because in Smash Bros 64 he was the slowest character, which I still dont find reasonable. That, and maybe because DK64 looked alot like Banjo Kazooie, which also explains why Diddy Kong is rather low.

Strange how Diddy Kong is rather high requested, guess Donkey Konga did atleast SOMETHING good afterall... >_>

Also... Sonic was that low!? O_O; Never wouldve guessed that.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
God **** it, we were soooo close to getting some decent Rare exposure into the series. :/

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
The Dreamcast came out in 98 for Japan.

Poke'mon choices probably don't mean as much because of the 3 seperate generations that've come out since then.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
God **** it, we were soooo close to getting some decent Rare exposure into the series. :/
yet we got stuck with Pichu...sad! Pichu noone wanted or ever wanted, and Diddy Kong got thrown in the cold, treated so unfairly. I find that list funny, very odd and very intresting=great thread!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This list shows how Marth is a very VERY popular character ...wow

Marth was HUGE in Japan even before Smash Bros.!!!
Disproves any stupid ideaology in which people think that Marth wasn't big in Japan before SSBM. Actually, Marth and Roy were originally intended for the Japanese version of SSBM only, and they were so popular at the testings that they went international. Fun little fact that made them, and totally changed SSBM, as well as changed the SSB series.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Disproves any stupid ideaology in which people think that Marth wasn't big in Japan before SSBM. Actually, Marth and Roy were originally intended for the Japanese version of SSBM only, and they were so popular at the testings that they went international. Fun little fact that made them, and totally changed SSBM, as well as changed the SSB series.
And the Fire Emblem series as well, isn't that right?

JesterBox

Smash Ace
interesting indeed in my opion that boost a few charecters chances. I din't know that James Bond was popular in Japan, I saw casinio royal, I gave em a chance..he is not James Bond.

I never played wrecking crew

Shaun Connery Forever

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Lol James Bond would be useless in brawl i say.

some of the high scoring characters that didnt get into melee directly, were used in other ways. eg peaches B move is toad....

Top Bottom