• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think online will be one of the last updates

Kentalish

Smash Lord
we all know Sakurai likes to surprise the **** out of us and the online update can come out of nowhere, but seeing as online is what most people want most that he would surprise us with the best for last like the last week of november.
what do you guys think?

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Coincidentally....i was thinking that Sakurai is so dammm evilll he is saving this update for the last week before launch....

:(

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Something like the game's online functionality is something that's best left to a press release or game conference. I don't think it will be discussed in one of the Dojo updates. We'll probably read about it on IGN.

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
Lol, maybe the last week is gonna be a super-awesome week filled with tons of uber updates!!!

Bloodmage

Smash Cadet
I can see it now...

Monday December 2nd, 2007.

Release date extended, Brawl not to come out until 2009.

That would be funny, but seriously suck.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I thought it was practically confirmed already.. Unless you mean.. real um.. decriptive things about it and how it will work.

-Onyx

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
Nope its not really confirmed as of yet, it's more like Sakurai said that he was going to try to impliment online play.

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Well there are like 72 (confirmation please) updates to go so I'd be pissed of Online is the last update.

I'd be pissed if Online WAS and update. Don't waste it on that!

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
Sakurai DID state that there would be online play, he just said that a RANKING SYSTEM might not be implimented.

I doubt, however, that he will use an update to announce the online functionality itself. although perhaps he might update about a type or trading or communication service (like a friend messenger, sticker trading system, replay sharing service, screencap trading service, etc.) and that, in itself will be an online update.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
I actually agree with you, I think he'll let us know if its online or not just towards the end.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
Has online even been confirmed yet
Some say yes, some say no.
Although Sakurai HAS stated that there WILL be online functionality, including multiplayer.

Idon't know how many times this has been stated, not to mention I recall someone posting a link with the interview. I am 98% sure that Online play will be a feature of Brawl.

That two percent is only unsure due to paranoia caused by tons of people saying it won't be a feature. Therefore, the remaining two percent is basically nonexistent.

Revven

FrankerZ
It's been "confirmed" twice to be a feature in the game. People are just trying to find ways to make it seem as though it hasn't been confirmed because of the key words used by Sakurai in 2006 (at E3). The key word as "plan" which doesn't mean it'll be 100% in the game, he just plans it to be in it. Of course, I'm sure Nintendo will do everything in their power to make it so it is online.

Reagrdless, there's so much denial because of no reassurance in the last year. If Sakurai reassured us, or confirms is some time soon, they won't be in denial anymore.

The point is, people have doubts just because of how fast the game is or because Nintendo's servers might not be able to handle it. Either way, I think Nintendo will try everything to get the game online and working 100% without much lag.

I'm sure it'll be there, people just want something to deny for a reason.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
Sakurai will probably try to make everyone angry and put Pokemon Stadium as the last update.

OH MY GOD, I would laugh and cry...
Seriously, why did you have to put that possibility into my head!?
Watch it come true now...

Star105

Smash Journeyman
well a stratagy that nintendo is going through is getting everyone hyped up about the game through small updates on the game......... then on the day of release (or before release) they will make a huge update and drag more potential customers in the game who don't bother withthe site and aren't fans of the game. so....... this is a good buisness strategy to rope in more buisness (though this is all speculation)

so i think that sonic (if he's in it seems to be up in the air),online play, or another update that catches us completely off guard (because after every update good or bad we look the next day and keep going till we buy the game) but is good in essetials. though i predict that on the day of release he will post a thank you to everyone who watched the site and hopes they enjoy the game (or something similar to that).

well it seems like its going to be a great game so i will try to be careful not to go on these sites the week before the release date until i get my copy of the game.

oh well

Pima

Smash Journeyman
I would love if he didn't say a thing and let us speculate about that =P

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai will probably try to make everyone angry and put Pokemon Stadium as the last update.
That would blow. I'd wish he'd get all the updates we already know are coming out of the way like Peach, Pokemon Stadium, Snake, Mario Circuit, Ness (probably), etc. That way we can get more surprise updates and aren't bored to death by the information given.

SR Raptor

Smash Apprentice
Whatever he does he needs to make up his mind quickly. SSBB is going to be a console seller. They need every customer to buy this game because it might turn into a Sonyesque venture where they loose customers everyday because people are on the fence and get tired of waiting. There are many people I know holding off for that one feature and it is make or break for them.

In the scope of things it is really a small thing and I might have overblown it, but if it means money for a company that needs every bit of it, well then it really isn't so small anymore is it. They are strictly gaming after all.

-taps foot waiting for online multiplayer update-

JPTight

Smash Cadet
By the end of november we will know already because it'll be released in Japan and we'll find out one way or another. I think in october i'm not even gonna see the updates anymore because i want to be suprised! Online is like a sure thing. they would be way too behind if it doesn't get added. Every new fighting game is getting the online treatment. Nintendo would be stupid not to.
Well the final update will probably be some sort of customization thing or just an advertisment for the game like, "Thank you for staying tuned in, now go buy it!" and then the cover art or something. I hope they show the online update soon so people dont loose interest.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
I would imagine that something like that, they would want to announce sooner than that. Hype is something you build on. Not that this game needs much hype.

its probably gonna b sonic or someone somebody wants really bad
Why assume he is even going to tell us about someone like sonic to begin with? It's not like they are going to reveal all the characters before launch.

Toasty!

Smash Journeyman
You know, there might not be updates till the US release. It comes out in Japan first, so whats the point of updating the site after that?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Nintendo is so stupid sometimes that it seriously wouldn't surprise me if this game didn't even have online. Look at Metroid Prime 3. Metroid Prime DS had online multi-player, but MP3 on Wii doesn't... Somebody explain the logic behind that to me.

SR Raptor

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone here played Mario Strikers? Does the internet system work well without lag and is the matchmaking right on?

I ask because I want to know, Nintendo has a history of introducing things to test them market.

The DS tested for the Wii. The GBA micro tested the brighter back light screens of the DSLite.

Maybe the shipped Mario Strikers as a test of the waters for the impending SSBB online play. I personally think that for an online service that is free Nintendo's wi-fi connect is fairly good. It doesn't lag like Sony's and while it isn't as advanced as XBOX Live I really have never gotten into any laggy matches with it.

Let's hope that they did just test thing with Strikers and are proceeding with all due haste.

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
I've been reading a few Japanese and American gaming magazines, and many of them say either online has been "promised" or "confirmed." The problem is, anything that I've read online or in a magazine doesn't have a source. I'm not going to drop money on a Wii just for SSBB if I can go to my friends' hosues and play regular multiplayer there. I just want info from somebody who's working on the game, that's all. If I missed it in one of the dojo updates, then that sucks for me, because then I have to dig haha.

On another note, if there is online play, then I hope there's no ranking system. Cheaters will try to prove they have the bigger e-peen in ranked games, and many people will lose on purpose to lower their rank and play newbies (this would suck if your teammate decided to SD a bunch and steal your stocks). I can point to many online games where situations like this have arisen from...pretty much any game with records of levels, scores, or rankings.

Top Bottom