• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suck at this game and I dont know why

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I'm just gonna get this off my chest so I can feel better about myself for admitting it.

I'm a scrub. I effing suck at this game.

I lose to dumb crap all the time, even when I know better. I play against idiots who shouldnt be a problem, but something always goes wrong. I SD for no reason, the game lags and my punish becomes a love tap, I run into moves and my shield doesnt come out, etc. I get wrecked by good players, and I'm a sore lose on top of that. I cant stand it; it infuriates me when I lose. I get super salty, and tend to ragequit (or rage-SD as it were). I actually hate fighting good players because I always lose.

I dont know what's wrong with me. I do the research, I watch the tutorials, I soak up all this information and I never seem to improve. I had this exact issue when I played street fighter 4; after getting past the initial beginner phase, my progress seems to grind to a halt and I continue to lose to weak strategies and bad players that I thought I knew how to overcome. I know what to do, but I always have trouble making it happen.

For Glory is my only means of playing smash bros. I have no local scene, and even if I did, I dont have reliable transportation. So it really puts a damper on my love of the game when it's riddled with spammers, cowards, idiots, and jerks with playstyles that I should be able to overcome, but cant.

I watch those matches from tournaments, and it's like a whole different game, as if they changed the speed to 1.5x. How do they move and react so fast? I could never compete against these people; I'd probably get 2stocked in my first game and then leave. Why stay? The matches would be up on YT later anyway.

I want to get better. I want to stop losing to dumb **** all the time. But I just dont know how, or if it's even worth the effort. I dropped street fighter 4 for the same reason.

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
It ain't stupid if it works.

As they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Omonito

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3738-0047-0553
Grind, grind, grind, grind, grind, grind.
I wouldn't be NEARLY as good at mac as I am now if I hadn't literally forced my way up.
If you need people to help teach and play each other, I recommend keeping an eye out for local-ish tournys, and, I'm setting up a skype group for 3DS smash of you'd like to join.
To be honest, you're on your way to getting better.
Two of the major steps to getting better are one: Admitting that you are trash and a fraud. And two: Giving up on trying to emulate pros. You'll only get better by trying stupid **** and perfecting it, ergo, making it into... Well, you.
Don't sweat it if you suck, because, well, minus M2K, mango, and the likes, we all do.

BibbledyJello

Smash Cadet
NNID
gwitherspoon5
3DS FC
0962-9185-6296
Street Fighter 4 is total bull, I dropped it too.
But I agree with @ Omonito Omonito you'll never get better unless you find what's comfortable for you. I used to like really fast characters like ZSS and Captain Falcon, but not I trend towards swordfighters (Like Robin and Roy) and high knockback.

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Your story reminds me a lot of myself lol...Mostly, anyhow.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Need to drop your expectations of yourself. I'm a sore loser and I didn't get even remotely good at this game until I started expecting less. I sucked and just played against people on here to see what was happening and you'd be surprised at the results you'll get. Then you're not over analyzing. Get some friends on here to help out in 1v1s and just play for fun. Play all characters, you might find a new main that actually comes naturally to you as well

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Does anyone think that the two mario slots are preplanned DLC characters before the ballot?

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I had your problem back when I was first playing Melee. The biggest way to get past it is to repeatedly fight better players until you get over it.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
You need to lose...you need to accept that you will lose at one time or another. Once you accept that you won't care if you lose you'll only care to get better go to places like Anthersladder to set up some friendlies. You can ask if someone is a ____ main and ask for advice. This will be all pointless though if you get mad because once you get mad you start playing bad. Other than that maybe you are the type of person who need frame data to help visualize unsafe and safe options. If that is the case go to each character board and see if they have Frame data available and ask people to explain what it means if you don't.

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
see you need to play good players or at least better players than you and learn that way.

i love playing for glory (or just in general) against someone better than me cuz it gives me the learning experience of okay with higher level player this wont work as well than against a for glory mac (sorry for those that play lil mac its just an example ive ran into wayyyy to many garbage macs).
then after you get good enough with knowing your options and then you can think more of strategy and stuff during the match (which you should always do anyways but bare with me).
then you should start knowing matchups or just what everyone can do relative to location on stage and distance from you.
then one of the most important thing after you get all that down is reads which helps out putting on percentage and avoiding percentage as much as possible.

this wasnt the best but it was just a quick lil list that if you can get down itll greatly improve your gameplay.

oh and another thing dont get all mad and salty cuz from my experience it will cloud your mind and judgement and youll make dumb mistakes and more likely than not lose a stock if not the match :p

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I just lost two little mac dittos to the same guy because he spammed down-smash. What the **** is wrong with me?!

Diagonal_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YayConformity
3DS FC
5069-4015-5843
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I just lost two little mac dittos to the same guy because he spammed down-smash. What the **** is wrong with me?!
It happens. Take a break. Cool off. It'll be better soon.

ChaoI16I

Smash Rookie
When I lose a few games in a row, I always take some time to go mess around in the training mode. It helps me calm down if I am upset by a loss and it also let's me mess around with some techniques or characters that I might need to practice. It helps make the game more fun and less infuriating. Also practicing against Amiibo is a pretty good training method :)

Snigg

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1048-8508-9974
To be honest I only read your initial post on this thread and skim through the comments but back when I was in your position for any video games (especially fighters), I found out for me that the best method in for improving in a video game is to grind. By grinding, I don't mean playing against other players (although that does help) but playing against bots or thinking of ways to connect moves together and strategies you would do in certain situations. Before Smash 4 came, I haven't touched Smash for years, I only played Brawl for a few months then stopped. But as soon as Smash 4 came, I literally had only one thought and that was I'm going to main the F*** out of Mega Man. I spent hours upon hours fighting Level 9 bots right off the bat when I picked up the game, trying to find my main in case Mega Man didn't turn out to be the one.

Eventually I became somewhat decent at the game, but skilled enough to be called the best Mega Man player in my school and among my friends. I don't really know to what degree you hope to improve on the game, but I do know that you need to put in practice and thought to be "good" at any game. Reading your post, "rage quitting" is never a good answer, no matter how aggravating it is to play a game you don't wanna continue, you need to play it anyways and watch what they do in response to your moves.

A good starter in improving yourself is to know your main or your playstyle (and knowing how to cheese...), for example Mega Man's metal blade is incredibly good. Do you know how easy it is to read your opponents when you throw a metal blade and they block it? I can throw a metal blade at my opponent and immediately run up to my opponent and grab them for a combo. Once I start doing that once or twice, they'll think to attack or try to dodge, but instead I move into a dash or pivot to the other direction for another attack. Learning how to play mind games and how to cheese with a character can lead to new ideas for others that you may play.

I hope what I typed down made sense and helped somewhat :x
TL;DR
Practice a lot and discover strategies and combos that may help.
Practicing against Level 9 Bots might teach you what's safe and what isn't. Just try fighting the bots and avoid taking as much damage as possible by using safe moves

Last edited:

Snigg

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1048-8508-9974
Also to add, it really helps observing your opponents and learn what you're doing wrong. Learn what you need to stop doing by constantly reminding yourself to not do it. Take from your opponent and try to adapt their playstyle if you ever feel that you're being outplayed.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
^^ when it comes to smash, or any fighting game, you need to learn how to adapt. You can be the best player ever when things go your way but if **** hits the fan and you can't adapt any player will be able to beat you. If you have to mid-match just back off and calm down and see whats going on. you have 5-6 minutes so taking a small breather won't hurt.

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
Best advice I could give you is to learn from your mistakes and figure out what your opponent struggles with the most. If you're fighting somebody and happen to have a method of communication with them give each other advice. Watch your replays and think about how you fight somebody. Learn how each person plays and how they respond to certain events.

EDIT:If you lose because of lag just forget about it, it wasn't your fault (at least not 100%)

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Maybe I should upload a bunch of matches with my mains (in the appropriate threads) and ask for critique (although every time I do that in the little mac thread, I get nothing...).

I find the most often times I lose is because people play so random and just throw moves out there. Hope do you overcome randomness like that?

The 2nd issue I keep running into is not air-dodging or shielding when I CLEARLY PRESSED THE FRAKKIN' BUTTON. I hate getting hit with super obvious ****, cuz it's like "um hello, where's my shield?"

SobaDono

Smash Rookie
OK Ghidorah... let's talk.

Been playing smash since I was a kid in the 64 era, and if there is a trick to improving, it's realizing and internalizing two very important points.

1. Realize that you are never as good as you think you are, and use it as motivation.

2. The mental game is, just as, if not more important than tech skill.

-Point 1-

It's important that you understand the first point in a nuanced way. You might be thinking: "I've already admitted that I suck, what else is there to do?" OK , yes, you are not as good as you want to be, and admitting that is a good first step. However, you need to admit that and then move on... dwelling on lack of skill and feeling sorry for yourself is one of the most crippling (and frustrating) John to deal with, and it is never productive.

Instead, frame your lack of skill less as a detriment and more as a blank slate. There is always more to learn, to lab, and to experiment. Critique your play not from an emotional standpoint, but from an analytical one. You say you watch top professional play, but instead of being amazed, try to figure out what they are doing correctly. How did they land that hit? How did they defend that combo or string? How did they utilize mixups? Watch, rewind, and slow down the footage. Pros do this all the time... M2K has his famous frame data, PPMD has his opponent matchup knowledge. All great players watch footage of gameplay not to be amazed, but to learn and be better.

Record your own matches as well, which is super easy with Smash 4. Record your losses first, then your wins. Figure out what you did wrong and drill it. If you can't figure that out, try to post here or in /r/crazyhand.

-Point 2-

You can master b-reversing, foxtrot canceling, platform canceling, jab locks etc. all you want, but if you enter a match aiming perform these techniques properly, you aren't playing to win.. you're practicing tech skill.

The mental game revolves around looking for patterns and then forcing your opponent to repeat those patterns for a punish. What happens when you approach your opponent, what do they do when you add pressure, when you throw out a projectile? Yeah, some people may do "random stuff," but everyone, even the best players in the world, have patterns. Especially in FG, patterns are simple. Look for these first:

Look for how they recover from the ledge (usually it's the same way every time)
Look for the direction they go when you apply pressure.

Don't react to your opponent, be proactive and predict where you can, and never, ever go for a blind prediction unless you can get the stock).

Also, don't look at your character. Look at your opponent, like at least a majority of the time.

-Closing Thoughts-

Look, I'm not going to lie to you and say that improvement is easy. It's called a grind for a reason. Improvement comes in small steps that aren't noticeable in the short term, and be aware that getting bodied is going to happen when you improve, but if you find yourself dishing more percentage or taking a stock or game from someone who has or has been beating you, you can say that you've improved.

Best of Luck.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
When I was trying to get better in brawl, what got me through was good advice from a good player, sort of like a mentor.
I had all the skills, research, technical ability, but my play style was not polished. It wasn't until the end of that night that I got good. Sometimes all you need is a mentor to teach you how to use your potential.

Another thing is just experience. Part of improving is reaching these ceilings, one that you are reaching now. It takes hard work to go through it, but you will with experience.

Are you having fun playing smash ?

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
When I was trying to get better in brawl, what got me through was good advice from a good player, sort of like a mentor.
I had all the skills, research, technical ability, but my play style was not polished. It wasn't until the end of that night that I got good. Sometimes all you need is a mentor to teach you how to use your potential.

Another thing is just experience. Part of improving is reaching these ceilings, one that you are reaching now. It takes hard work to go through it, but you will with experience.

Are you having fun playing smash ?
I am.

But FG is...well, ya know that feeling you get when your so angry that you stop being angry and just get despressed? Yeah, for me, that's FG sometimes.

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
That sounds like a great definiton of FG.

Ghidorah, go ahead and post your replays on the character boards. The DDD boards will happy to reply, mainly because we don't have much to talk about. Not entirely sure about the MK boards though, considering the zero replies someone got when they asked for advice. And go spar with some folks in your character boards and get their advice. Heck, I'll play you. That is if it's a steady connection.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
I don't have anyone to play with, either. I'm not really a competitive person, so it doesn't bother me to lose at For Glory all the time. If you know people far away who play, you can play with friends instead. Maybe you can meet people here to play with :3

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
You need to get out of the mentality that things are "cheap" or "spammy". If they're not breaking the game to do it, its a viable move. If you don't get past that and stick with the matchup to learn how to beat it, you'll forever be in that mentality and skill level. The MegaMan grab thing last night would have been perfect to learn on.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Online for Glory mode seems to lag for me during crucial moments, moments such as when my character is delivering the kill or punishing move, and its irritating because it seems like the game is purposefully going against me. It is a whole different game from offline mode.

Don't play wi-fi too much or take it too seriously because you will lose your mind :rotfl:

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
Since Little Mac is your main, I would suggest working on combos with him and check out den guides.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Online for Glory mode seems to lag for me during crucial moments, moments such as when my character is delivering the kill or punishing move, and its irritating because it seems like the game is purposefully going against me. It is a whole different game from offline mode.

Don't play wi-fi too much or take it too seriously because you will lose your mind :rotfl:
Ugh, I swear, it feels like the online lags when it pleases just to **** up ALL my plays. Like if it had a sentient mind. OH, L9999 is playing? Better **** up his combos and recovery, and get him punished and giving bad players an advantage, so they can roll all the ******* match and punish EVERY move L9999 does. So after winning by pure lag abuse, they can get all jerk*** and disrespect with a taunt. YEY!!!!!! **** online.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I am in a similar boat. FG is the only way I can play against people other than my friends and for a long time I studied pros without getting too much better.

I don't know much about your play style, but the fix for me was to always keep pressure on the opponent in one way or another. I realized that I spent a lot of time overthinking and planning the next combo I was going to do, and the opponent will take advantage of this. Especially in the case of bad FG players, who may not understand competitive smash, but who do always keep pressure on with dash attack/down smash/projectile spamming. This was what killed me.

By focusing on Samus for a while, I had to make that adjustment because trying to play Samus without putting pressure on the opponent is a terrible idea. One really basic tip is to make it as hard as possible for the opponent to land. I noticed that in FG when I was losing, I would always say the same thing, "I can't land without getting hit!" It was really frustrating, but then I realized it was a really basic way to improve my game, by doing the same to them.

I wouldn't suggest abandoning the idea of studying pros of course. I improved my Wario immensely by watching lots of Abadango and emulating his style as best as I could.

Driller7

Smash Rookie
Playing against level 9's on smash is usually a good way to spend time. Even if they're more predictable than a real person, it always forces you to give it all, and recover appropriately and administer unpredictability

Sonic Prower

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3609-1479-1886
I agree with Driller7. When I'm not playing online I play solo smash against a level 9 random and set the rules to these settings:

Rules - Stock
Stock - 2
Stage Choice - Random: (Omega) Form
Item Switch - all items off
*Stock & Time - 5

*Stock & Time is in More Rules.

Tip # 1. Attack, shield and wavedash (or dodge) is all in timing.
Tip # 2. Use Tunnel Vision. To use Tunnel Vision, only focus on your opponent.

D

Deleted member

I think the way you look at Smash as a whole is wrong, you seem very down and depressed about not being good. Don't be. I know it sucks when you put all this hard work into a game and you get nothing, but that simply means you gotta work harder.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a sore loser myself. There have been times when I end up losing to dumbass tactics, 2-stocked and **** but it's all in good fun and I use those experiences to learn. Don't take all those experiences you had too seriously because it ain't making things any better for you.

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
I'm just gonna get this off my chest so I can feel better about myself for admitting it.

I'm a scrub. I effing suck at this game.

I lose to dumb crap all the time, even when I know better. I play against idiots who shouldnt be a problem, but something always goes wrong. I SD for no reason, the game lags and my punish becomes a love tap, I run into moves and my shield doesnt come out, etc. I get wrecked by good players, and I'm a sore lose on top of that. I cant stand it; it infuriates me when I lose. I get super salty, and tend to ragequit (or rage-SD as it were). I actually hate fighting good players because I always lose.

I dont know what's wrong with me. I do the research, I watch the tutorials, I soak up all this information and I never seem to improve. I had this exact issue when I played street fighter 4; after getting past the initial beginner phase, my progress seems to grind to a halt and I continue to lose to weak strategies and bad players that I thought I knew how to overcome. I know what to do, but I always have trouble making it happen.

For Glory is my only means of playing smash bros. I have no local scene, and even if I did, I dont have reliable transportation. So it really puts a damper on my love of the game when it's riddled with spammers, cowards, idiots, and jerks with playstyles that I should be able to overcome, but cant.

I watch those matches from tournaments, and it's like a whole different game, as if they changed the speed to 1.5x. How do they move and react so fast? I could never compete against these people; I'd probably get 2stocked in my first game and then leave. Why stay? The matches would be up on YT later anyway.

I want to get better. I want to stop losing to dumb **** all the time. But I just dont know how, or if it's even worth the effort. I dropped street fighter 4 for the same reason.
First, go against lv.9 CPUs. Once you can beat them with ease, try on for Glory again.
You'll see a difference.Keep trying!

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
First, go against lv.9 CPUs. Once you can beat them with ease, try on for Glory again.
You'll see a difference.Keep trying!
LV9 cpu's can react and read your input at frame perfect speeds. Not a good way to practice fighting human opponents.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
maybe it is because the 3ds itse,f is holding you back why dont you get the wii u version it is 100 times better

littleuniverse

Smash Cadet
Same here. For glory mode is also the only way I can play and it's pretty cruddy. And I hate it when you're trying so hard , your very best but you just can't shake off a losing streak. So I just stop playing for a few hours. Then I pick it back up and try again.

Top Bottom