• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Suck at Lucas; Help Me Improve

Lied

Smash Rookie
I usually play with whatever character I feel like playing with (though more often or not, I use Falco), but today I decided to pick one and stick with it for a while. Obviously, it didn't go too well, because a Falco mindset doesn't really transfer all that smoothly to Lucas.

I recorded a replay vs. a computer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9QsyXC9cOc

Give me tips!

Fhed

Smash Apprentice
I suggest u to focus on less characters like probably 5 at max to focus on. But about u playing with lucas, u seem pretty good. U should play against human players more often than computers. I suggest u use nair more cuz its priority is good. Reduce the amount of time u jump off the ledge to attack. An alternative is using PKT and whirling it around the opponent.

GofG

Smash Champion
Lied, first off, don't practice against computers, ever. Unless you're me and Foxy and you're in need of someone practice in doubles.

Second off, your application of dsmash was perfect. I don't exactly know what you mean, that a falco mindset doesn't transfer over to lucas, because it appeared to. You needed to play more defensively, obviously, and stall with SHWBPKFs (You will need to b-stick.)

All in all, you have a solid Lucas, and for God's sake, don't drop him. We need every lucas player we can get >.<

EDIT: Oh, and fsmash tlink's projectiles. They get reflected back at him.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
I noticed that you didn't use a lot of your Bair... Use it, especially over the ledge. It has a sweet spot that spikes (still trying to figure out the exact time/location of the spike but it is there.)

Nair is your best air attack, use it.

Always go for your snake tether before your PK Tunder, not only because you can shoot it multiple times (and it has nice range) but because you can always go to PK Thunder if it misses.

Learn where to hit Lucas with PK Thunder to send him in the direction you want.

All-in-all, not too bad.

Levitas

the moon
It's really impossible to guage your skill or strategy based on a vs CPU match.

The reason is this: either
1. You destroy the computer because the computer always approaches,
2. You beat the computer by being aggressive or
3. You lose to the computer and aren't quite at the level to be recieving advice just yet

I think you fit into the second category. Aggressive play isn't for lucas, he needs to sit back and PK fire until the opponent approaches. That said, you have the spacing for pk fire down, your use of Ftilt was solid, a bit lacking on the aerials, and don't use usmash against good human opponents (unless it will hit).

Try out bsticking, it helps his fire game, and that's always nice.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
good for a first try. don't dsmash as much, you will get punished.

bstick, and NAIR. constantly.

Lied

Smash Rookie
Cool, thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to get some practice in with a friend of mine instead of the computer.

So basically, I need to:
-Stop playing vs. computers
-Use nair and bair more
-Play more defensively
-Use PKT instead of chasing opponents off the stage
-Use the bat to reflect projectiles

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Not using PK Thunder to edgeguard unless they are already almost on the stage or are way above the stage is just stupid. PK Thunder is the best way to edgeguard for easy kills.

Top Bottom