• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I really like the new items they added.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
I like the variety this time around, like Pokemon that alter stats and the S flag adding a stock.

Fluufybunny1

Smash Rookie
I like the variety this time around, like Pokemon that alter stats and the S flag adding a stock.
Agreed, I really like how original they're being with the items this time around, and use their true potential.
Blue Shell looks like fun too.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The Cuccoo has to be my favorite new item, just for how silly it is. I also like the Blue Shell, seeing as it doesn't look like we're getting the Red Shell back any time soon.

Raijinken

Smash Master
So what are the ones we haven't seen yet? Fan, Cracker Launcher... Any others?
This page on the wiki tracks the item confirmation thus far. We haven't seen:
  • Cloaking Device (Melee)
  • Barrel Cannon (DK)
  • Cracker Launcher (Brawl)
  • Fan (SSB64)
  • Parasol (Kirby)
  • Red Shell
  • Trophy Stand
  • Any sort of character items (Wario bike and parts, etc)
Everything else has been seen at least somewhere.

Last edited:

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
So what are the ones we haven't seen yet? Fan, Cracker Launcher... Any others?
That's it from Brawl.

The flipper is confirmed not to be back. The cloaking device was a stupid item anyways, but since Microsoft owns Rare it won't be back anytime soon. The DK Barrel is the only item from Melee I would like to see back.

But I think the fan got a huge aesthetic change this time around to resemble a more Japanese style fan.

How awesome would it be to have a couple of different variants of the fan with original Japanese style Smash images on it.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I love it all. I like the Galaga Ship. And the redesigns for the items are super nice. I don't see why they had to redesign the bat though, but I'll take it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
There are, of course, numerous Pokeballmons and Assist Trophies that haven't reappeared, either.
While the Pokeball has always favored mons from the most recent gen, assist trophies leave a bit more to speculation. From my memory (almost certainly incomplete), we've not yet seen:
  • Barbara
  • Excitebike
  • Gray Fox (would naturally confirm or deny Snake)
  • Orange Star (Infantry + Tanks)
  • Jeff
  • Jill
  • Isaac (I would have sworn I typed that the first time :ohwell:)
  • Kat+Ana
  • Resetti
  • Ray MK3
Of course, we know Mac got promoted to playable, but that largely just leaves speculation as to why some like Jeff and Isaac haven't been shown when we already know the Mother series is still at least represented with Mr. Saturn and the Franklin Badge.

Last edited:

Gravitational23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gravitational23
Yeah the items this time are awesome sadly some people will just turn items off so it doesn't matter for some.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
We haven't seen Isaac either.

Man it'd be dope to see Isaac and Ray MK III get promoted to playable status. The only thing that may hold them back is the fact that there hasn't been any Golden Sun or Custom Robo games as of late.

Raijinken

Smash Master
We haven't seen Isaac either.

Man it'd be dope to see Isaac and Ray MK III get promoted to playable status. The only thing that may hold them back is the fact that there hasn't been any Golden Sun or Custom Robo games as of late.
Dark Dawn's probably recent enough, given other characters who've shown up. But there are entire other threads dedicated to discussing this.

I'm a bit surprised they took the boomerang from Mario instead of Zelda (largely because I've been out of the Mario loop for years and didn't know it existed). Then again, Zelda got its fair share of new items as well.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Dark Dawn's probably recent enough, given other characters who've shown up. But there are entire other threads dedicated to discussing this.

I'm a bit surprised they took the boomerang from Mario instead of Zelda (largely because I've been out of the Mario loop for years and didn't know it existed). Then again, Zelda got its fair share of new items as well.
I think they made the right choice. I mean, it wasn't until fairly recently that the Boomerang has been getting significant attention. I think it started with 3D Land.

Last edited:

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
Right now my favorite item is either the daybreak or bombchu but man that beetal though

pichupal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pichupower
3DS FC
1997-0164-7116
I think the Hocotate Bomb is a cool idea. It's off screen long enough that unless you're paying attention you'll forget it's there, like a really slow warp star or something.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I think the Hotocate Bomb is a cool idea. It's off screen long enough that unless you're paying attention you'll forget it's there, like a really slow warp star or something.
My only issue is that it's basically just Olimar's final smash without the bugs. Not to bash the item, it just shows how uninspired his final smash feels to me.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
My only issue is that it's basically just Olimar's final smash without the bugs. Not to bash the item, it just shows how uninspired his final smash feels to me.
Just wait til they show off the new, fresh out the hangar, Landmaster item.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I find lack of mention of the super leaf disturbing. It was my most wanted item and I got it.

Think about the inherent awesome.

Raccoon tail Ike.
Raccoon tail Bowser.
Raccoon tail Samus.
Raccoon tail Ness.
Raccoon tail Captain Falcon.

Can you dig it?

Booster

Smash Lord
Glad to see the Parasol from Melee is returning, it functions as a weapon AND a recovery booster! The S Flag is the freshest innovation to the Fighting Genre and I will enjoy wielding Mario Fire Pillars as a sword using Slender Man (Mii Fighter)

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yeah the items this time are awesome sadly some people will just turn items off so it doesn't matter for some.
That's for the pros.
That's it from Brawl.

The flipper is confirmed not to be back. The cloaking device was a stupid item anyways, but since Microsoft owns Rare it won't be back anytime soon. The DK Barrel is the only item from Melee I would like to see back.

But I think the fan got a huge aesthetic change this time around to resemble a more Japanese style fan.

How awesome would it be to have a couple of different variants of the fan with original Japanese style Smash images on it.
The fan was my favorite in Brawl, I remember I use the fan to give my opponents large damage one hit at a time and use it to KO in Multi man.

SIN Shinryu

Smash Cadet
The flipper is confirmed not to be back. The cloaking device was a stupid item anyways, but since Microsoft owns Rare it won't be back anytime soon.
It's not like it'd be really hard to make a different type of item that does the same thing. I'm sure if they wanted to they could make a generic Smash item (like the fan or crates or anything like that) that turns you invisible. A Spy watch or something. I personally liked the item.

Also all the items this time are cool as ****.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
The new items are quite a mixed bag for me, mostly because they're all pretty unique compared to the relatively similar items in Smash 64 (which is the only game I play with all items always on). Definitely a lot of good ones, though; the Firebar, Boomerang, and Steel Diver are going on my list right away.

The Special Flag might be my favorite, though, because of the shenanigans that will inevitably ensue if the delay before scoring a point is as long as it looked in the Pac-Man trailer; I imagine there'll be a lot of people taking f-smashes to the face trying to get an extra stock. I really want to see a Smash Run battle that has only Special Flags on high now, come to think of it...

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Some of the new items are cool (Fire Bar, Ore Club, etc.) but there are also some that I am not looking forward too because they are wayyyy too overpowered (Beetle, S Flag, Daybreak, etc.)

Overall a mixed bag, but there are definitely some items i will be turning off

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Item selection always makes me smile in these games. So much nostalgia and throwbacks. Also Super Leaf!

Some look bit OP though, so I might turn them off if they seem to make fighting tad pointless.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
Some of the new items are cool (Fire Bar, Ore Club, etc.) but there are also some that I am not looking forward too because they are wayyyy too overpowered (Beetle, S Flag, Daybreak, etc.)

Overall a mixed bag, but there are definitely some items i will be turning off
Whenever I play items I have Smash Ball and Dragoon turned off. Daybreak and S Flag will be joining them. Sometimes I turn food off just so the Sandbag and Party Ball give off items instead of food.
The Beetle all depends on how well you can wiggle out. Bill Trinin did it quite easily during one of his matches, but many others just got carried away. It just looks like an insanely fun and chaotic item.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Whenever I play items I have Smash Ball and Dragoon turned off. Daybreak and S Flag will be joining them. Sometimes I turn food off just so the Sandbag and Party Ball give off items instead of food.
The Beetle all depends on how well you can wiggle out. Bill Trinin did it quite easily during one of his matches, but many others just got carried away. It just looks like an insanely fun and chaotic item.
Still, i'm going to turn beetle off, any item that overpowered can stay out of my matches.

I keep Smash Ball on until it gets annoying.

I always turned the Dragoon off in Brawl and I will turn off the Daybreak and maybe the s flag

Toledo Jones

Smash Cadet
definitely enjoy the plethora of new items Sakurai added. Firebar & Super Leaf being my favs, one being a pleasant surprise & the other being a want since 64.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I am pretty psyched for the Beetle item. It looks like it's perfect for those classic friendship-ending moments Smash is famous for.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
They're really good, my only complaint being that 95% of them are from either Mario, Zelda or Kid Icarus.

Top Bottom