• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I rarely use the A button when playing with Marth

DaddyPanda

Smash Rookie
I was wondering what some of your guys Marth game looks like. I'm not great by any means, but the best of all my friends and I have yet to loose a match online, although that is probably not saying much. I played melee occasionally but never developed a tech heavy game or anything it was mostly just messing around. Since getting Brawl I play non-stop. (When the wife isn't nagging) But when ever I play I rarely use the A button (GameCube controller). My whole game consists of my side-b, up-b, counter, and my c-smashes. I also edge guard like crazy and have a decent metagame. I am mainly looking to broaden my skills with Marth, and become a better player. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I know this forum is full of great players. Thanks in advance.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
I find myself using the c-stick and side-b a lot too...
But I also focus a lot of fair, bair and such...
Mew2King's guide would be the best place for you to start... He's a smash god :p

dercahax

Smash Rookie
I use about 80% A and 20% B. Pretty much B only for recovery and certain situations, A all other times. I use a lot of short hop aerials + fast fall. Probably half, if not more, of my A attacks are aerials.

Korea4ever

Smash Cadet
My game is SH double fair mostly. If my opponent wises up and starts sidestepping, I counter that with dancing blade because there's another slash coming right after their invincibility ends. I kill with dair and fsmash, usually coupled with edgeguard/engehogging. I don't use dolphin slash as much, because I find it hard to get that close. or maybe in underestimating the range.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
My game is SH double fair mostly. If my opponent wises up and starts sidestepping, I counter that with dancing blade because there's another slash coming right after their invincibility ends. I kill with dair and fsmash, usually coupled with edgeguard/engehogging. I don't use dolphin slash as much, because I find it hard to get that close. or maybe in underestimating the range.
You could try shielding the opponent's attack and then immediately using Dolphin Slash out of the shield. It works quickly and has fair knockback at higher percentages so it seems like a good option IMO.

Leth

Smash Rookie
I find myself barely ever taking my thumb off c-stick. Because the DI is so insane in this game, you can do some awesome stuff with retreating fairs and the like. Makes it really, really hard to punish me for doing... anything. And diminishing returns kind of works in my favour - opens up combos, like my beloved fair uair double jump up-b (sweetspotted).

Marth is overpowered.

twolf68

Smash Rookie
Well I think with most characters you should use the c-smash more than A because it's just more powerful.

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you need to incorporate Marth's whole arsenal in order to be totally effective.

The A button is Marth's best friend. Until very recently, I found myself completely ignoring the B button entirely aside from recovery, which was a mistake considering how incredible Marth's B moves are when pulled off properly.

As the rest of the thread stated, Marth's bread and butter is SH aerials, so abuse those. Also his d-tilt is incredibly important as it has annoying range and you can cancel most of the animation due to IASA frames.

Lin_

Smash Apprentice
I do a totally different thing. I abuse his SH aerials, and I barely use the B button except for recovery and counter, because one of my friends play Marth too and always spams the dancing blade, so I try not to use it just to show people that Marth is better than that.

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
I use about 80% A and 20% B. Pretty much B only for recovery and certain situations, A all other times. I use a lot of short hop aerials + fast fall. Probably half, if not more, of my A attacks are aerials.
My style is similar to his except I use some tilts and smashes on the ground and side B a lot out of foxtrots, dash dance and just regular dashes.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Marth's Dancing blade has been drastically improved since Melee, so I use that sometimes, but yeah, mostly the SH and fair/nair. I'd avoid Dair, it's not quite as good as it used to be... Edge-guard/hog whenever you get the chance, that is one of Marth's assets.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
One word- F-Air. That's all you need to combo people. It's ok, but don't use Side-B too much. Fair, Bair and u-tilt are pretty good. Bair is mostly for edgeguarding, fair for comboing, u-tilt for juggling.
Did you know that up-b is pretty powerful when you do it right next to someone?

Top Bottom