• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need ur help guys!!

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Ok, I admit that this is a bit wierd but a got a problem that I need some help with. I have to do a small psychology "research" project at home, the subject is free and it doesn't have to be too "serious" research.
After thinking the options I came up with this hypothesis:

"Playing videogames affects your grades"

Yeah completety dumb, i know, i just couldn't make up anything better, but whether this assumption is true or false i need your help.

If you play games, if you go to school (or you already have went), please tell me HOW GOOD ARE YOU IN SCHOOL?
Like what is your overall and stuff.

Thanks in advance.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Ok, I admit that this is a bit wierd but a got a problem that I need some help with. I have to do a small psychology "research" project at home, the subject is free and it doesn't have to be too "serious" research.
After thinking the options I came up with this hypothesis:

"Playing ssbm is connected to success in school" (good grades etc.)

Yeah completety dumb, i know, i just couldn't make up anything better, but whether this assumption is true or false i need your help.

If you play ssbm, if you go to school (or you already have went), please tell me HOW GOOD ARE YOU IN SCHOOL?
Like what is your overall and stuff.

Thanks in advance.

SSBM and good grades? In my view they are completely opposite.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Video games take up time that you could be studying. So you are already at a disadvantage with your thesis. You will have to discuss that at some point, and discuss your thesis, AND discuss why no other game benefits school as well as Smash. In short, I'd rethink the topic.

Orbinas

Smash Rookie
I'd definately have to agree with Crimson King. There is no way SSBM is connected to success at school. It'd most like be connected to failure at school, if anything. Though that could be said for any video game. Unless your school is some kind of gaming school, which there isn't. To be honest, I'd only play SSBM on the weekends, but I never really play games on weekdays (only if I'm really bored or friends are over), so that doesn't effect me unless I have to study on weekends..

I'd definately choose another topic. If, for some reason, you can't - you're basically screwed.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I got few friends, they're good at school, they play ssbm. I play ssbm, i'm good at school too. It's not about am i wrong or not (i'm wrong) , I just want to know. (and in this case i kinda freaking have to know)

The ultimate results: "Playing ssbm is connected to success in school" = bull****?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's unrelated.

It's like saying "I have a blue car and I do good in school. All my friends have blue cars and they do good in school so there is a connection." There is actually a word for this fallacy which I can't remember and it will annoy me until I do. It's a logic error.

MattDel

Smash Apprentice
Cleveland, Ohio (who actually puts this here?)
i think kids who play smash are good in school because they just happen to be smart or work hard in school. because of their success in school, they have some time to kill, thus they play a nice game of smash...

but i agree with those guys up there ^^^^^

pick a new topic, if possible

grayfox

Smash Champion
It's unrelated.

It's like saying "I have a blue car and I do good in school. All my friends have blue cars and they do good in school so there is a connection." There is actually a word for this fallacy which I can't remember and it will annoy me until I do. It's a logic error.
It's called a false cause i think - "correlation does not imply causation".

But yeah it's not a great hypothesis. For one you'd have to do it for all games and your subjects (us lol) won't really give an accurate estimate as we all come from different education systems, play the game at different levels itself and you might find that most smash players also care about school work (or vice versa) so THERE would be a correlation that you might be able to look into.

I'd say if you wanted to go for it go for something less specific like "Computer games effect school grades."

While i'm here i was an average C grade student at school, hardly went.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
While i'm here i was an average C grade student at school, hardly went.
Thank you very much, i'm actually looking for these.

:)

My thesis should not be taken that seriously, but it would be nice if majority of smashers were plain nerds (in school too), and I could say ppl that this is a game for smart people :laugh:

1337ZSS

Smash Apprentice
I actually do pretty good... but SSBM has no--obstacle with my grades at all xD

But, it doesn't hurt my grades so... it's all good.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Actually I just want to know MAINLY how good ppl how play video games as an more "serious" hobby do at school.

But anyways, keep on!!

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
you have edited your post

now your hypothesis is:
"Playing videogames affects your grades"

it used to be:
"Playing ssbm is connected to success in school" (good grades etc.)

now let us take a little essay of the changes.
ssbm has been changed to "videogames", much broader by far.
success in school has been changed to grades in general.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Just so you know, Novice, your hypothesis should include how playing video games affects your grades. You should say whether you think it makes your grades better or worse. It's probably already implied that you think playing video games worsens your grades, but you need to remember to say that specifically.

Well, I don't play video games very much, and my grades are pretty bad. But there are lots of other things that affect my grades more than wasting my free time with video games or something.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
It's Ouvää!!!

Oukhäi, so time's up and this thread is (now) completely futile. Somebody could remove this...and thanks to everybody who replied :)

Final conclusion: Videogames (example. ssbm) can only affect in a bad way to a persons schoolife, if they affect at all, which they normally don't, because it's mostly unrelated.

Thread closed?

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Playing video games can improve your grade in Exams!

I have the newspaper headline around here somewhere, I was going to make a topic on it, just quote what it said and the research they did. I never got round to it, thanks for reminding me. :)

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Oukhäi, so time's up and this thread is (now) completely futile. Somebody could remove this...and thanks to everybody who replied :)

Final conclusion: Videogames (example. ssbm) can only affect in a bad way to a persons schoolife, if they affect at all, which they normally don't, because it's mostly unrelated.

Thread closed?
That's awfully verbose, heh.

Mr.McPeaches

Smash Rookie
Well... I get above a 4.0 gpa (4.22) but that's just because I take all AP classes.
On average, I get one C, three Bs and the rest As. (I sux at Bio)
And, I play video games about two hours a day or so.

However, back when I was playing some MMORPGs, I definitely let my grades drop.
So... my contribution to your hypothesis is: video games don't affect grades unless it's an MMORPG.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Not really. I played video games all the time when I was in school, and managed to mantain an A average for math(very easy for me), and B for everything else. Smash doesn't affect your grades if you pay close attention in school during the lesson. Then again, my mind is always hopping from one subject to another rapidly. I never studied for a test (excluding regents) and still manage to get an A or B on my tests.

Top Bottom