• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need some matchup help

SgtShock

Smash Rookie
Alright, my bro plays Mario and Falcon.. I play Luigi as a main. I have some trouble when i 1v1 his falcon.. any tips? he always stomps me with his **** electric knee attack.. even if i shield, it still gives me mass knock back, then he just chases me and tosses me. grr.. tips? :p also, his Mario gives me some trouble aswell, his aerials seem stronger than mine, and he keeps absolutely owning me when i try to recover, he just sits there and smashes forwards towards the ledge.. that **** move such a big hitbox for a powerful move.. makes it so tough.. i wavedash to him, hes already smashing me lol. grrrr.. and if i stay back, he just shoots fireballs, so im always the attacker, he just plays defence and has an advantage. please help me out. most of the other match ups im fine with. Falcon's aerials are so **** strong, and im always up in the air with Luigi trying to combo lol. ahh send me some advice you Luigi fans, im in need ^_^

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Alright, my bro plays Mario and Falcon.. I play Luigi as a main. I have some trouble when i 1v1 his falcon.. any tips? he always stomps me with his **** electric knee attack.. even if i shield, it still gives me mass knock back, then he just chases me and tosses me. grr.. tips?
So is he stomping you or kneeing you? 'Cause those are two different things.

If he SHFFL's a knee into your shield, you should be able to jump, roll, dodge, or wavedash out of your shield before he can chase you with a grab. If you're getting grabbed, that means you're sitting inside your shield doing nothing. Of course he's going to grab you; that's what people do when you're shielding. So do something else after shielding his knee.

:p also, his Mario gives me some trouble aswell, his aerials seem stronger than mine, and he keeps absolutely owning me when i try to recover, he just sits there and smashes forwards towards the ledge.. that **** move such a big hitbox for a powerful move.. makes it so tough.. i wavedash to him, hes already smashing me lol. grrrr.. and if i stay back, he just shoots fireballs, so im always the attacker, he just plays defence and has an advantage. please help me out. most of the other match ups im fine with. Falcon's aerials are so **** strong, and im always up in the air with Luigi trying to combo lol. ahh send me some advice you Luigi fans, im in need ^_^
You say his aerials are beating out yours? That won't happen unless you're jumping straight into his sex kicks and B-airs. Luigi's aerials > Mario's aerials, if he's beating you in the air then you must be spacing it wrong.

Sweetspot the ledge and his F-Smash won't be able to hit you. Don't always Up-B from underneath the stage when you get back. If you're coming in high, you can airdodge onto the stage or airdodge toward the stage and drift back to grab the edge.

You're wavedashing straight into his F-Smashes huh? Guess what that means: you're being too predictable. Fake him out!

WD forward, WD or dash back
WD forward and try to poke him with a F-tilt before the F-Smash comes out
WD forward with your shield up, shield the F-Smash, then WD out of your shield to grab
WD forward, jump over the F-Smash, and chop or drill kick him in the face. (This one's a little risky because Luigi is slow in the air)
Tornado into him, clank with the F-Smash, then keep holding the analog stick towards him and C-stick down to D-smash.

There are a lot of possibilities here, you just need to mix it up.

SgtShock

Smash Rookie
When i said he stomps me with his electric knee i ment he constantly owns me with it lol. when i perform Luigi's aerials he knees me for the kill almost always. yeh i need more mind games it seems. also i need to space myself accordingly to win vs marios aerials. thanks for the help

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
ok look, when i played my friend`s falcon, i thought the same way, but the only thing u gotta do is shot jumping and sex kick, that breaks it, thats alll the trick..

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Um..

Dsmash frickin owns C Falcon.. Uair/Bair good comboers. Fair good finisher. Space your aerials right and make sure you can predict when he is gonna aerial. For example, he runes toward you and does a SH. You automatically sheild, then spot dodge and he'll go right through you and land behind you. Tap the direction he landed in the filck down on the C-Stick for Dsmash, launching him into the air. Then maybe Uair combo him if he's at mid %, Dsmash again if he's at low %, or finish him with Chop.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Against falcon you should up throw, He can be chain thrown and at high damage you can up throw to dair and **** his face. Focus on getting him off the level. Falcons recovery sucks so you can edge guard him pretty well. Just run off the stage and dair or fair. For defensive techniques you have to be careful. Falcon is all about spacing and momentum. Screw up his momentum with ftilts and fireballs (use sparingly).

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
As a CF I ran into some problems the first time I fought Luigi. Turns out his priority screwed me up a lot. His awesome air moves ate through mine. So I had to learn to fake him out and use up air and stuff. So yeah, as Luigi, everytime he jumps it can be good to just throw out that annoying sex kick and combo from there. Samus and Peach can do this to CF too. CF hates being out-prioritized.

As for Mario I personally believe Luigi has an advantage in this matchup. Luigi is a bit taller/longer and has more priority. So when it comes to the air and the two clash Luigi should come out on top. Be careful with your WD's and don't WD into any of his WD's smashes. (happened to me yesterday actually)

and good luck :D

El HP

Smash Ace
I never have had problems with mario I feel luigi has the upperhand, mario can't combo luigi and he has a hard time fighting luigi in the air his cape is nowhere near as good as the doctor not to mention luigi has a much higher KOing potential.

SgtShock

Smash Rookie
when i fight my brothers mario when im luigi.. i cant approch him.. if i wave dash with shield up, he hits me with his forward smash and hits my shield, since luigi has mass traction, i slide way back in my shield. if i jump at him he shield throws me. if i approch with a wavedash down/up smash, he forward smashes me as i approch. in the air is where i can really punish him. but on the ground mario > luigi it seems.. maybe im just bad, but this is usually the turnout.

C 3

Smash Ace
Falcons, as we all know, LOVE to combo and end with knees. Make sure you make good use of the Nair to break out of combos and avoid getting pummeled. Falcon, along with fox and falco, are fast fallers, meaning that Luigi can link numerous moves together before they float out of range. TAKE GREAT ADVANTAGE OF THAT!! cyclone to tilts to D-smash to grab to whatever!! lastly, have a strong defence! Luigi is quite floaty and dies much sooner than other characters. Falcon's knees punish opponents quite badly, so avoid those.

TheZeroFaReal

Smash Apprentice
Falcons, as we all know, LOVE to combo and end with knees. Make sure you make good use of the Nair to break out of combos and avoid getting pummeled. Falcon, along with fox and falco, are fast fallers, meaning that Luigi can link numerous moves together before they float out of range. TAKE GREAT ADVANTAGE OF THAT!! cyclone to tilts to D-smash to grab to whatever!! lastly, have a strong defence! Luigi is quite floaty and dies much sooner than other characters. Falcon's knees punish opponents quite badly, so avoid those.
In my opinion, if you're friends or people you play against main falcon and you main luigi your n-air is easily predictable before they attack. The N-air doesn't help break out of combos that much to me against falcons because if they start the combo, I'd have to jump away cause shffld up airs and shffld knee's are fast. If you nair it'll pause them for a bit but It's a lot easier to just not get combo'd and mindgame the entire time. For falcon take advantage of the fact that he has one of the worst recoverys in the game. At low damage and you want a cheap kill edgehog him after a 'poke' (F-smash) or forward tilt and edge guard him to the best of your ability. Falcons Up-B has a lot of lag after it so when he lands = Wave dash fair/dair a prediction and destroy him =D.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
when i fight my brothers mario when im luigi.. i cant approch him.. if i wave dash with shield up, he hits me with his forward smash and hits my shield, since luigi has mass traction, i slide way back in my shield. if i jump at him he shield throws me. if i approch with a wavedash down/up smash, he forward smashes me as i approch. in the air is where i can really punish him. but on the ground mario > luigi it seems.. maybe im just bad, but this is usually the turnout.
Don't get discouraged, sometimes that's just the way the matchup shakes out. For example, there is simply no approaching Marth through the air. You would be foolish to keep recklessly jumping towards Marth when he can just swat you out of the air. Don't force yourself to take openings that are not there.

It's true, Luigi doesn't have great approaches on the ground. Anybody that can consistently beat out his D-smash is going to give him a very hard time, and a well-played Mario can do that. I know I've had problems approaching Mario from the ground with Ice Climbers. On the ground, Luigi's true bread-and-butter is punishing lag, not in making approaches.

What you should do, then, is to change your thinking.

Don't just WD up and throw out an attack if he's just standing there. Dance more in front of him and out of range, and try to get him to approach YOU. And when he does, learn to recognize openings; turn the game over to your advantage.

Shield his smashes and WD out of shield to punish. It's tricky because Mario's D-smash is fast and his F-smash is long. I'm not going to pretend this is easy, but it's necessary if you want to take Mario on the ground. I'm almost certain his F-smash can be punished with a wavesmash, or even aerial out of shield, as long as he doesn't sweetspot it. The D-smash may not be punishable out of shield, but I know it has enough lag where you can get inside its range if he whiffs.

If he approaches you through the air...well you already know what to do there. Show him who has the superior air game.

Here's some more concrete advice:

When you do aerial him, space your sex kick and F-air just out of shieldgrab range, or poke him with B-airs instead. It can be done, because Mario's grab range is one of the shorter ones in the game. If you're coming in from directly above, DI behind him to avoid being grabbed. Make SURE you're L-cancelling it correctly and try jabbing or spotdodging right after an aerial.

Try using the tornado more to approach. It's fast and will clank with a lot of attacks. Be ready to follow up on it.

Good luck and remember that Luigi has the advantage in this matchup. Confidence is as important as anything else when playing the game.

SgtShock

Smash Rookie
wow thanks man, good tips.. all of you. i think that i will eventually learn to counter my brothers moves.. just because i play him so constantly that we always know what eachother is thinking. i try not to be predictable but he predicts when i am trying to be unpredictable.. make sence? lol

C 3

Smash Ace
I guarantee you the using Nair helps break out of combos and possible deaths, not only against falcon's, but on most other characters. A lot of the pros use it and you can see it in the videos.

Top Bottom