• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need some combos to work on in the lab

Ghostface steel

Smash Rookie
Can't find any good videos for it and I need to take my ness game to the next level as I feel I've hit a plateau. For context this is my first smash since I was a kid playing melee, have been grinding super hard since release trying to get better.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Short hop fast fall uair leads into a lot of combos. Aside from the BnB’s that every Ness players know I’ve basically been free styling aerial strings and it’s working out quite well for me. I would also like to lab a few true combos though if anyone has them

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Short hop fast fall uair leads into a lot of combos. Aside from the BnB’s that every Ness players know I’ve basically been free styling aerial strings and it’s working out quite well for me. I would also like to lab a few true combos though if anyone has them
What's a BnB? I'm pretty bad at combos in general, but seriously, what is that?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
What's a BnB? I'm pretty bad at combos in general, but seriously, what is that?
BnB’s are reliable combos to that they use a lot in neutral pretty much. For example for Ness one would be the PK Fire hit into down grab into fair and then another fair

Ghostface steel

Smash Rookie
What aerial strings do you often do? I find myself just doing fairs into fairs but I need to seriously work on my magnet play

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
What aerial strings do you often do? I find myself just doing fairs into fairs but I need to seriously work on my magnet play
I use uair a lot. When they’re above me. I obviously string fair into fair and a lot of times into uair depending on their DI. Magnet into rar bair is a really nice finisher too. Must of my juggles are fair and uair but I mix nair and bair into them and magnet for spacing a lot. I usually just try to get a read on their DI and see how to go from there. A lot of people will try to avoid the fair train and end up above you and then you can go off with uairs on them or even hit them with bair once in a while (I also use bair for spacing in neutral). Dair can actually be useful too if they miss a tech on the ground especially to pop them right up and it can go straight into uair or bair depending on how they DI. I kind of just try and read their landings and dodged and pick the right aerial out of that and keep them guessing

Ghostface steel

Smash Rookie
I use uair a lot. When they’re above me. I obviously string fair into fair and a lot of times into uair depending on their DI. Magnet into rar bair is a really nice finisher too. Must of my juggles are fair and uair but I mix nair and bair into them and magnet for spacing a lot. I usually just try to get a read on their DI and see how to go from there. A lot of people will try to avoid the fair train and end up above you and then you can go off with uairs on them or even hit them with bair once in a while (I also use bair for spacing in neutral). Dair can actually be useful too if they miss a tech on the ground especially to pop them right up and it can go straight into uair or bair depending on how they DI. I kind of just try and read their landings and dodged and pick the right aerial out of that and keep them guessing
Nice I really need to work on my magnet play I think I'm too easy to predict without it. Is it true with magnet that you can go forwards and magnet into bair? Can't figure that one out

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Nice I really need to work on my magnet play I think I'm too easy to predict without it. Is it true with magnet that you can go forwards and magnet into bair? Can't figure that one out
Yeah you have to b-reverse magnet so you’re facing the opposite way and you have perfect spacing for bair

I’d definitely work on magnet and using it to mix up your movement and landings. It will definitely make you more unpredictable

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
A fun one I've been labbing is PK Fire > run up SH Psi Magnet > falling up air > grab. Works well, the hard bit is the short hop before the psi magnet (at least for me).

Something to note about this combo is it works at any percent and on all characters - except Pichu. Pichu falls prone when you hit him with the psi magnet so you can't grab, but you can jab reset him into an upsmash if he misses the tech!

Edited to add you can combo dair into uptilt into upair pretty consistantly. Skip the utilt if they're at higher percents.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
A fun one I've been labbing is PK Fire > run up SH Psi Magnet > falling up air > grab. Works well, the hard bit is the short hop before the psi magnet (at least for me).

Something to note about this combo is it works at any percent and on all characters - except Pichu. Pichu falls prone when you hit him with the psi magnet so you can't grab, but you can jab reset him into an upsmash if he misses the tech!
This is awesome! I’m excited to use this one. And it’s a true combo?

I’m also thinking if you can land the last hit of falling Uair it might be a kill confirm into bat. I’ll have to test it

Last edited:

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
I have shuffling on high and stale moves on in training mode and they don't escape. I have landed it in quickplay too but...that isn't saying much haha. Sometimes the psi magnet pushes them further than normal and you miss the up air, and sometimes the upair fully connects and sends them away - the spacing is pretty precise. Could be a kill confirm but I haven't worked out how to consistently hit the full up air.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I have shuffling on high and stale moves on in training mode and they don't escape. I have landed it in quickplay too but...that isn't saying much haha. Sometimes the psi magnet pushes them further than normal and you miss the up air, and sometimes the upair fully connects and sends them away - the spacing is pretty precise. Could be a kill confirm but I haven't worked out how to consistently hit the full up air.
Well I mean if it works at high percents it’s a kill confirm into backthrow anyway. I just know that Ness’s fast falling Uair has that property that a lot of falling multihits have in this game where if you hit it with just one hit of it, it locks the character into an fsmash or another punish. I’ve seen pros use it with Ness before and if that’s a true string it could lead into a bat confirm which would be cool

I’m definitely gonna practice it a lot and play around with it in training mode tonight

Last edited:

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Yeah definitely no bat confirm on this one, however it works at high percents into grab. I've tested at over 150% on various characters.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Definitely getting this one down. I dig it. I feel like there might be some room for expansion too

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
New patch notes: press 2 jump buttons to short hop. That just made this combo 10 times easier to perform!

Ghostface steel

Smash Rookie

Edited to add you can combo dair into uptilt into upair pretty consistantly. Skip the utilt if they're at higher percents.
Any chance you could make a little clip so I could see what it looks like?

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Landing uair -> dtilt spam on shield is pretty decent for pressure. If they drop shield or you poke them, you can finish with a jab.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Found an interesting one today that I haven't really seen before. Fastfall a full hop dair to hit just before landing (making sure to cross up shield) followed by immediate turnaround dtilt spam -> jab. It works at any percent before your grounded dair starts to pop the opponent up, from what I can tell. Does anywhere from 30-50% character dependent. Once it starts to spike, it leads into utilt, which leads into several aerial options. Dair probably isn't optimal for low percent combos, but it could work as a surprise mixup.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Found an interesting one today that I haven't really seen before. Fastfall a full hop dair to hit just before landing (making sure to cross up shield) followed by immediate turnaround dtilt spam -> jab. It works at any percent before your grounded dair starts to pop the opponent up, from what I can tell. Does anywhere from 30-50% character dependent. Once it starts to spike, it leads into utilt, which leads into several aerial options. Dair probably isn't optimal for low percent combos, but it could work as a surprise mixup.
I’ve gotten follow ups off the spike before but this is definitely interesting. I’ve been using a lot more dair in my game lately too (finally consistently getting the PK Fire spike off the ledge) but also as a stage spike. Ness really have a bad aerial. Hell they’re all at least very good to amazing

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
These are all relatively easy to pull off and come from my own experiences (im not exactly a smash g o d) :ness:

Down throw to f-air string is a classic
Full jab to PK Fire to f-smash seems to works at low percents
Down-tilt nearly combos into itself, but a good strategy i've found is down-tilt into down-tilt into dash-attack. This can lead into aerial strings or a landing punish.
Up-smash is great for shield pressure and near the ledge can lead into an aerial string (Seriously, ive broken shields with this beast)
There's always the Pk Fire into PK Fire into PK Fire etc. if youre that guy
Up-tilt to up-smash to back-air seems to work out well for me most of the time. At lower percents this can be proceeded with a dash attack into up-air as well.
Aerial PSI Magnet to falling up-air close to the ground has just enough hitstun/windbox to put your opponent off guard. (Seems true sometimes but definately is not) Can lead into itself, or grabs.
This last one isn't really a combo (heck, are any of these combos?) but its won me a few matches. Send up a PK Thunder, forcing your opponent to air dodge (This works best high from any platforms) Now that theyve spent their airdodge, you have 3 choices. 1) bring the thunder back to yourself and perform a PK Rocket, (works well if your opponent falls quickly or is near the stage) 2) kill the thunder and try to land a PK Flash (This one works for me the most), or 3) Kill the Thunder and move into an up-air/back air. Up-air, you start the cycle again. Back-air, if it sends them offstage go for a PK Flash or down-smash edgeguard. If not, go for f-air, PK Fire (only if theyre about to land) or you can try for an up-smash.

Oh one more thing, if your opponent tries to reflect your PK Flash, its not the end of the world. Most reflects have huge endlag and can end up meaning more damage to your opponent through an aerial combo or even an accidental self KO

NOTE: Most if not all of these can be DI'd from, and none of them are true combos. Bear that in mind and make sure to mix it up. Sometimes the patient punish can keep you alive and your opponent hurting more than an aggressive combo play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom