• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help approaching with charizard

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Ok well it seems like some days I do a decent job with charizard other times im just fail v.v. Now I was reading and grabbing with charizard is awesome however my grabbing is well on accident. I never usually grab in melee or brawl just cause i have crappy judgment in that area. Well besides grab them when they sheild can anyone I dont know give me some perspective on think when to grab. Senario examples would be good. Also, im thinkinking about changing my c stick to tilt moves for charizard and ivy but I feel kinda lame for thinking that. Some advice would be lovely! =)

Fearmy

Smash Ace
DO NOT USE C STICK TOO MUCH... seriously... it makes extremely easy to predict. Zard's Tilts are his best moves, way better than his air game.

Ivy needs to use side tilt a bit to weaken down and d tilt. I know a lot of C-stick ppl and they are extremely easy to predict, stay away and use tilts to weaken or kill.

Zard i think i would prefer tilts over his smashes some times. His Smashes come out way to slow and same for ivy in a way. you need to stun them with the tilts.

That's all i got to say just stay away from being a C-stick *****

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
When I see a sheild my first reaction is to move behind them and smash. Its just auto pilot, im guessing with that said I need to just suck it up and try a grab reguardless as a way of training.

LOL @ fearmy but thats exactly why I said i feel lame for having that as c stick.

Do any of you get stuck in smash attacks ? Cause i try to push over but i guess im so use to smashing I just push to hard.

Also, i read up on some of these threads but I dont like the opinion of just one player even if they are **** good. There style just not might not be my style. Ive always been a defensive player and with that said in your opinions while playing chaizard does he feel more like an aggressive character? I dont think im a great pt i think im medicore and being more defensive might be the reason i get bounce around. Basically I have a nervous mentality with charizard.

mmmCJ

Smash Cadet
i approach with either a short hop rock smash ,Dtilt, or a Ftilt
rock smash is good because like Ike he gets super armor when he does it
Dtilt is a fast attack and itz a good way to start a combo
Ftilt has good range

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Um, you can also approach with f-air right? Or is the fire from it too short to space effectively? (I will picking using PT on monday (when I can play brawl again) but I haven't yet.

However, d-tilt has great range, as does f-tilt. Firebreath is useful, as I'm sure that you can't be countered if it hits either them or their shield.

Optionally, you can simply not use Lizardon to approach, use him after knocking an enemy off, when all you have to do is punish them getting back (space a fire breath, use d-tilt, etc). Or harass them in the air (as he has one of the best recoveries)

Regarding use of C-stick. You don't have to be predictable when you use it <_< just make sure that you remember to use the normal stick to tilt, and then use the c-stick for aerials and smashes. Aternatively, if you don't use it for those, just set the B moves to it ;)

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
On the whole not approaching with charizard as a tactic. I hear people own with charizard so i figured Im not just getting the handle on him. I generally start with Ivy cause I can work other players pretty well and use charizard to stay alive with high percentages.

Also does anyone use down air at all? i try to but i dont think its gonna happen should i just not use that at all?

Me14k

Smash Lord
The charzard boards are forgetting about firebreath.

Charzard's firebread is extremly broken...approach with firebreath at low percents.

Don't shorthop aerial approach, charzard doesn't have the spacing to prevent getting sheildgrabbed. If you want to approach with a strong attack use rocksmash, the small rocks that are tossed out will prevent sheild grab.

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
Unless you're playing against someone who has perfect sheilding solid, approaching with charizard isn't hard at all. The knockback from all of his moves aside from fire breath prevents shield grabbing.

f-tilt, d-tilt, f-air, side-b, neutral b. These are all solid approaches, depending on the situation.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
my charizard games been beefed up a bit thanks to help . Ive been doing the rock smashbut I feel like im useing it to much. I generally do the slide into rock smash. I dont spam it I just dont know if its annoying I dont want to turn into the next pit with rocksmash.

Oh can charizard take a hit to a degree using forward smash. I know its rather slow but if the odds are in my favor can i take it.

Im also finindnd it a bit easier to do tilts with him. I am usually so frantic with charizard sometimes i think i just need to be not nessarily slow but mindful and it comes easier.

Also, what do you mean by broken flamethrower I'd like an example if you would?

yule4

Smash Rookie
I personally find that using f-tilt or d-tilt are some of the best combo starters.. also harassing with f-air when oppenents trying to make a recovery is key..

Does anyone know if Specials to c-stick allow wave-bouncing with flamethrower?? my little brother is playing right now so i can't try it out :(

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
f-tilt, short hopped rock smash, short hopped fair, nice ways to approach that i use most of the time.

squiser

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if Specials to c-stick allow wave-bouncing with flamethrower?? my little brother is playing right now so i can't try it out
From what I remember, I think Charizard's Flamethrower does get a bit of a bounce from wavebouncing. It's not much, but it is enough to be useful for spacing, but Neutral-B wavebounces are so hard that I've given up on using it consistently. Unless you find some way to do it >90% of the time, I'd forget about it.

Xepa

Smash Rookie
I like to glide from the air, with charzard's
insane hitbox range on his attacks the gliding
makes up for his slow walking.

Also, I don't like to be aggressive unless
my opponent is far away, since charzard's
sprint ability is the same as Pikachu's, but
his walking speed is piss-short.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Any advice for situations where people all seem to go after charizard at once? Its like someone screams big target and boom everyone on me? Flamethrower usualy get people of your ass?

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
if ur talking about free for all situations, charizard is hard to use :/
i guess the big n slow image gets everyone's attention
but i would jus use short hop rocksmash if any1 tries to come at you
or some nicely placed nairs

but for free for alls i try to avoid using him or PT :/ sad to say
cuz i usually use squirtle n ivy for those matches, but when fatigue sets in for both
im somewhat boned :p

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I know im like a beacon ><. Down smash whats that hit box look like , again probably not the best move from what ive read but its still a move. Is the hit box like really close to him ? Ive been expermenting but doesnt nessarily mean im undestanding my moves on a technical level.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
Well i learned if you use rocksmash, the move doesn't even have to finish for a part of the rock to hurt someone, which is good when someone's got you in a combo.

Top Bottom