• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need an answer for ness's spike

Proxford

Smash Rookie
I play as a kirby, and whenever I play against a local ness player, he uses ness's Dair when I'm on the ground. if I roll away, I can't punish the ending/landing lag, but If I sheild it, I slide too much to grab him, so he grabs me. If anyone has some advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Try pivot fsmash

It's difficult to answer these types of questions unless you post some videos of your matches.

Also your question doesn't really make sense since aerials don't have landing lag if you z cancel

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
Even if the opponent is proficient at Z-cancelling, Ness's dair against an opponent on (or near) the ground still leaves him vulnerable. Between the time that Ness starts his dair animation and hits the ground, the only way he can be controlled is left/right motion. If Ness DJCs poorly, he could end up floating a bit longer than intended.The problem facing our Kirby friend here is how to take advantage of these openings.

The most obvious answer in terms of Kirby's moveset is the utilt when facing away from the opponent. The other obvious answer is to not be on the ground! Work off of platforms or just abuse Kirby's 6 jumps. Protect yourself when you do need to land with Z-cancelled aerials (nair or fair should do).

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
If you play as Kirby, use utilt.

Abuse it. Ness's dair may be beast, but Kirby's utilt is even moreso.
Shielding Ness's dair is often not the best idea because it has so much shieldstun, leading either to a free grab for Ness or the breaking of your shield if the Ness can DJC properly.

Have you ever tried dashdancing to avoid the dair? Gets you out of the way and right back in again to punish the missed attack.
Ness players who spam dair get pwned by this.

If he's DJCing his dairs, watch the timing, and you can actually fit in a grab or fsmash (kirby's fsmash is extremely fast and has great range).

Another thing, if you're playing as Kirby, don't use his grab as a punisher. In fact Kirby rarely needs to grab at all, his throws are terrible and he has better options for most situations.

Also, know this matchup - Kirby gimps Ness very easily, so just get him off the stage and screw over his crappy recovery, and safely return to the stage with your many jumps. This matchup is waaaay in Kirby's favour. Your opponent may just be better at the game than you, or you just don't have enough experience or control of your character to be able to formulate new ways to tackle your opponent's style on the fly. So, keep playing, and use the advice here.

Also post videos if possible! You'll get much more useful critiques that way that will get down to the core of your play issues.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Answer for Ness spike = Use Falcon's upsmash...

...and combo him to death if you can do it

Proxford

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice, I think a pivot Fsmash is most likely to get him.
@Daedathus thanks for the very detailed help

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Answer for Ness spike = Use Falcon's upsmash...

...and combo him to death if you can do it
I love killing ness with falcon. Falcon can do so much to ness, I keep saying it his forward tilt ***** ness in so many ways, just have to throw it out there and angle it properly with a bunch of empty shorthops and fairs and ****.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Thanks for the advice, I think a pivot Fsmash is most likely to get him.
@Daedathus thanks for the very detailed help
No problem.
Don't underestimate Kirby's utilt, especially if Ness is at low damage. If you fmash him when he's near 0% he'll get some free hits on you. Utilt starts comboing from 0%, it's so BROKEN. :mad:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
cmon now jiggles and kirby utilt combos take skills what with the rest and all. pro ****. lets not forget shorthopping and using a drill, so pro!!1

a perfect 0-death with yoshi is so much easier more broken.

pikas fsmash 4 edgeguarding is pro 2 u gotta time it u only have like 10 seconds lol

Proxford

Smash Rookie
Whenever I try to use an Utilt I always make my character jump, which is a problem when facing aerial heavy characters

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Whenever I try to use an Utilt I always make my character jump, which is a problem when facing aerial heavy characters
Practice utilting by tilting the joystick not too far or too fast. If you ever have a technical issue it's solved by simple practice. This issue should take you little time to master.

Also, if you hold up while performing another move that's going to lead into you doing a utilt, then you can utilt from the joystick already being held in the up position. For example dair -> hold joystick up now ("buffer" the uptilt) -> zcancel -> utilt x #

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I hope you don't mean on n64, that would be sad sorry. Just because it involves tilting the stick and pressing one button...

online with some sh*tbox controller or keyboard, understandable it takes getting used to not ****ing up u-tilts sometimes!

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
If you are using a keyboard and not a controller, then you must use another attack/action (like jump) and then hold up during this. Once you are done with the action and are on the ground (still hold up) then just press A and viola!, up tilt!

(I love the ava Fireblaster. :D)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I must agree with Dylan here, if you can't do tilts while thinking about it...go practice for a week against computers or something.

Proxford

Smash Rookie
Yeah I did mean on Keyboard.
I used to have a problem on the controller, but that was way back when the game first came out and I was only five

Top Bottom