• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I lost for 3 hours straight online with Marth, what is wrong with me?

Adrwisler

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adriwisler
Hello Smash world,

I played online with a complete stranger for 3 hours. He/she was nice enough to let me play with them knowing willingly that no matter how close I got, I will never beat them. He was switching between Yoshi, Rosalina & Luma, and Ness.

Needless to say I am a little salty right now due to the fact that no matter how much training I do, my Marth will never be fast enough to defeat a top tier character. 3 hours later here I am, and trying to find a way to figure out if I should even play the game.

Picking a new main is pointless since that kind of defeats the purpose of keeping it fun, but I am starting to flip into the dark side.

Thoughts? anybody been in this crossroads?

Zionaze

Smash Ace
You definitely can have fun with a new main if you find one. I was a Falco main but some MUs were too hard so I played around with some characters and I can definitely say the wacky Wario is my new found love. I still have Falco as my 2ndary and its working out.

Stealthfox2

Smash Rookie
NNID
stealthfox2
Marth can win, try looking at Dr. E his marth is REALLY good.

in this game Marth isnt about being fast, rather he is a walling character, set up walls and box your opponent in, then strike

link2702

Smash Champion
go to the marth boards and ask em for advice on what you can improve on.

Beastferu

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryPhrax
3DS FC
3351-4134-0653
Shouldn't be playing 3 hours straight if you're tilting.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Sounds like you should have taken a break. The brain needs time to rest from constant stimulation in order to process the event in question. It's why the "take a break every hour" recommendation is actually not just for over-protective parents. They recommend it in school for study habits, for exercise and active sports. Your brain is a muscle, and muscles need breaks to stay optimal. You won't do 3 hours of push-ups, so 3 hours of constant cranial stress should be avoided.

Take at least a 15 minutes break after about an hour of intense play, let your brain filter the experience and process what you've learned. It takes about 20 minutes for your short term memory to get sent into long term memory, which lets you start really working with what you remember (It's why you may have an epiphany on something 4-12 hours after you've finished with something difficult). If you try to power through it, your brain will fatigue and have a harder time keeping up with the constant stimulation.

Other than that, @ L link2702 's advice is pretty solid. I'd add to this with get a recording of your fighting to the Video Critic Thread for your character and have some extra eyes on it for some more pinpoint coaching. It's one thing to get general Match-up info for your character, but another to apply it in combat if you have a bad habit hindering your options.

Top Bottom