• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I liked to play Ganondorf more when he wasn't good

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
And the old up kick u-smash doesn't even hold a candle to the new one, but I guess which moves were more fun is subjective.
You're right about the other smashes but our previous up smash actually had a lot of utility. Its main benefit was its speed--it came out somewhat quickly and had very little endlag, allowing it to move into ftilt, for example.

Neither up smash is better, they're both useful with different utilities. I'd love for old up smash to replace current up tilt.

On the topic of buffing Dorf, making up B untechable and thereby removing rockcrocking would make him significantly better in competitive while having no affect at all on casual players, since casual players don't tech. IMO it's the best and simplest way to meet both quotas, it just comes down to whether the devs realize it.

DatGanonDoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3669-2463-7192
But I'm having fun with Ganon currently :(
100% this. No other character comes even close to how fun being the king of evil is for me. Especially when I play real slow and responsive (not defensive exactly but taking your licks and waiting for your opening).

Plus ganon's ledge game (in every installment) allows for some of the goofiest tricks I've ever seen. I full-on *giggle* when I'm playing Ganon.

What do people even mean about tiers? Since ganon's all head-games anyway, isn't he whatever tier you can convince your opponent he is?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I assure y'all, we all had more fun without the sword than with it. Why do you think people said that adding it would alienate fans for years?

DatGanonDoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3669-2463-7192
I think my only complaint about Ganon (and I don't know if this is a change or not) is that his uair favors hitting people forward more than I like. There's a lot of hits that really feel like they should knock the opponent backwards but don't, which is a shame cause back kicking people under final destination is hilarious

Ian095

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eponian
3DS FC
0473-7759-5302
I'mma chime in on this with my opinion about Ganondorf (excuse me for reviving a old thread).

I thought it was cool initially they gave Ganondorf a sword he was pretty underwhelming in the old games but he can do 30% damage with one hit. Not only that he can easily kill and take stocks like its nothing with the range of his sword, something previously not possible with his character.

My brother mains Ganondorf and I only think he does because it makes killing and punishing others extremely easy. Maybe I'm just terrible at the game though I'm definitely better than the majority of casual players (not much into competitive though) but giving him a sword has actually just made him insanely powerful.

I don't even see him as a character as slow as he once was, he has pretty average speed and attacks that hit hard can break through other attacks with not much delay. I'm more bothered at the fact he does so much damage easily.

Not sure the old one was better... I mean OoT Ganondorf doesn't use a sword not that it matters anyways but now I just feel he's quite cheap and anyone can pick him up and especially in a smash with more than one person you can just spam his moves at the right moment people are defenseless and bam, got yourself 2-3 kills just like that.

Maybe he needs nerfed a little, maybe I just need to get better at fighting him but he seems far better than the bottom tier he has on most tier lists for Ultimate.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Wellp. This thread aged like milk. For anyone not in the know, Ganondorf is currently considered one of, if not the worst character in Ultimate.
Yeah, and now he's less fun to play thanks to the sword smashes.

If they weren't going to make him better in the first place, they might as well have not changed those moves in the first place.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Up tilt remains more of a problem than Ganon's previous or current smashes ever were.

Ganondorf's still considered one of the worst in the game no matter how you slice it. Honestly though, with the up B fix he and Falcon got in the last update (no more rockcrocking after ~20 years), I put Ganon above Little Mac now at least. Don't know about the others yet though but being optimistic I see him as low tier now at best. Said fix got me to pick him back up as a close secondary, in any case. Late hit dash attack has grown on me as a combo starter, out of his options.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Up tilt remains more of a problem than Ganon's previous or current smashes ever were.
I'm still holding out for that, Falcon Punch, and Warlock Punch to have "uncharged" versions where if you just tap the A/B button, they become much weaker but more usable. Not in Ultimate, but maybe next game.

link2702

Smash Champion
while it's true Utilt isn't great, it still has a few uses now, which is more than you can say for it's previous incarnations.

on small battlefield and normal BF(or really any stage with a low enough platform), space yourself right, and ensure the opponent is at the right damage(roughly 45-60 depending on their weight.) and a down throw will have them land on the platform above usually before they can react with a tech, and then a Utilt will almost always drag them off the platform, and they'll either get hit, or instinctively shield and get it broken. Very rarely can opponents react and tech it on the platform, and even if they do, unless they roll away, it'll likely still drag them anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Utilt still sucks overall, and ganondorf is still awful. But at least in ultimate you get the sense of what they were "trying" to achieve with certain moves of his after all these years. Make no mistake though, he needs a full overall definitely.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
Viable or not, Ganondorf's sword smashes are inferior in cool factor to his elbow and kicks smashes.
At least to me, the sword moves are distinctly, and uniquely, more Ganondorf-esque, and less like a Falcon clone. "But Ganondorf doesn't use a sword in human form, Eremurus."

I mean, fair, but at least it's an element borrowed from his game series, and not just a slower, more stronger, overall more useless rendition of what Falcon had. That is cool and should be celebrated. But: his aerials still suffer from the same issue. Haven't really been changed since Melee days.

Quillion

Smash Hero
At least to me, the sword moves are distinctly, and uniquely, more Ganondorf-esque, and less like a Falcon clone. "But Ganondorf doesn't use a sword in human form, Eremurus."

I mean, fair, but at least it's an element borrowed from his game series, and not just a slower, more stronger, overall more useless rendition of what Falcon had. That is cool and should be celebrated. But: his aerials still suffer from the same issue. Haven't really been changed since Melee days.
They're literally ripped from Ike and Cloud though.

And the "element borrowed from game series" has absolutely no bearing on fun or cool factor. There's a reason why DK shouldn't have a barrel throw after all.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
They're literally ripped from Ike and Cloud though.

And the "element borrowed from game series" has absolutely no bearing on fun or cool factor. There's a reason why DK shouldn't have a barrel throw after all.
At this rate, we're splitting hairs. "Bearing on fun or cool factor" is likewise, also subjective.

Top Bottom