• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

i like ike

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
i have just seriously played as ike 2 days ago (no more spamming smashes) and i liked him. he didnt feel as slow anymore. I keep winning online (with a few smashes here and there :p) and his B-air is so great. people told me ike is like Roy in melee, very underused and a weak form of Marth. But he's just great, and im thinking of making him a secondary :p. So could you tell me what are Ike's main weak/strong points and what to (not) do

Hoser

Smash Ace
Check out the stickies, they'll tell you plenty about his moveset/character match-ups/stage picks/ect.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Eh? xD Weaker form of Marth? I don't think so... (Also, I think that Marth actually feels more like Roy. He feels more like Roy from Melee, rather than Melee Marth... Well, except for the tippering, of course... :p)

Anyway....

Ike's amazing strength is the best thing going for him. He can KO at lower % than any other character. He has a lot of moves to KO with. However, you also must kill at lower %, because his moves are harder to hit with and they don't combo. If you allow your opponent to live for too long, it only gets easier for them to survive because your weak attacks will hit them too far to follow up with anything so they'll just have to focus on those KO moves.

Ike has great range, which is the second best thing going for him. He can out-range most characters on most of his moves and his fair is the move with the best range in the game. Abusing this range is important to Ike, as you won't get punished if you're further away.

Ike is very heavy, which means he lives longer then most other characters. However, he is also easier to combo because of this. Powershielding is pretty important for Ike. Spotdodging and counter should be used rather often as well. Not getting hit is more important than with other characters.

Ike is very slow, making him easier to get punished for mistakes. If you miss an attack, it's way worse than when an opponent misses an attack. The jab and nair are pretty much the only exceptions to this rule.

Ike has no projectile, so he has to do everything with his sword. It's not as bad as people think, though. He shouldn't have any trouble just because the opponent does have a projectile. It's fairly safe to get in close with Ike. As long as you abuse the size of his sword.
^Taken from "I write for my friends" guide that's stickied. http://smashboards.net/showthread.php?t=170241

I highly recommend reading it and checking out and some of these other stickies...

Pretty much a list of every useful Ike thread: http://smashboards.net/showthread.php?t=172830

Also, we're currently discussing matchups for Ike... http://smashboards.net/showthread.php?t=192160

Top Bottom