• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I know this isn't the right place for this but..

Dessie542

Smash Rookie
Note: If you think that this has nothing to do with Wolf, keep reading, trust me it will go back on-topic fairly quickly. I posted this here instead of in the intro section with pretty good (I Hope) reasoning.

Hi, my name is Dessie (Yes I use highly original usernames) and I am fairly new to Brawl. I have had the game for a while and have been lurking these forums for about a week and a half, learning some basic stuff (things like understanding the tier list and some of the more basic techniques) and have finally decided to post and start becoming an active member of the Brawl community. (Mazal tov?)

Anyway, for a little bit of background about me. I am nineteen years old, and a college student. I am generally a very good video game player, and tend to pick up on things very quickly when given some kind of instruction, I play a wide myriad of games ranging from Fighting (Tekken, Street Fighter), RPGS, and an MMO or two in my time. The one thing that I have found in common with all of the games I have played, is that I tend to pick characters or classes that are often considered weaker by the majority of players. This is probably a mixture of me justifying all the time I spend playing games, and me attempting to stick it to the man in some backwards sense. In any case, for a mixture of reasons, I have decided that I want to play Wolf as my main =O. There is many things that attracted me to him, the first and most obvious is that he is lower on the tier list spectrum with other additives such as me liking Star Fox, Lycanthropes and space animals in general.

--->Start here if you are TL;DR

Getting to the point of this thread, I come to you, the more experienced Wolf players of the board to give me some insight into some of the basic but necessary techniques of the game. I read the Essence of Wolf guide by Koshinator and also watched the video where he fights the Snake player, and am having trouble reproducing some of the things that he does in the videos against real players/computers. I also don't understand how to perform some of the things described, such as "teching" and "DI".

So far I have figured out to never UpB, to spam the hell out of Bair, and that I need to learn how to control my characters trajectory and position better. The reason I posted this topic in the wolf board, is because I'd really like other wolf players to explain the applications of things like spacing, and when to go offensive and when to go defensive in relation to the character itself, instead of just a overall view of game play.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you guys don't flame me too hard.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Hey welcome to the Wolf boards :) I am fairly new to these boards aswell but unlike you i've been here longer.

Now to come to your topic. Wolf does need to space. I'm not really good at it, but i'm learning :) Ya also need to be very cautious when your offstage. You don't have many ways to get back onstage. I hope you learned about Scarring and Semi-Scarring, because those techniques could be very handy.

''Di" Means Directional Influence. It's when you get hit by a move, you just hold the Analog Stick to a direction and you'll fly to that direction. This video is probably the best on how to DI properly. You can DI with every character, so don't worry. Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQIy7P7RWo

Well so far as i know, teching means pressing L or R at the time you got are going to hit a wall so you immidatly stop moving. It's handy cause it let you survive until ridiculous high percents.

Dessie542

Smash Rookie
If someone doesn't mind explaining it to me, how exactly do I DI correctly? I understand how I am supposed to do it but...Well ill just give you an example i've been doing in testing.

I picked Ganondorf and had my little sister push b every time I got in range, and let her hit me with Warlock Punch. This sent me flying and then my goal was to attempt to DI it. at 0% I was fine, didnt fly far and didnt really need to DI. Second Punch, I needed to DI to get back to the ledge and did so successfully. However, on the third Warlock punch at about 90% I was sent reeling and no matter how many times I tapped forward-up and held the c-stick down, I was unable to stop myself from getting ringed out on the side of the screen. Is there something I am not getting here or does it just take quicker reflexes?

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
Hello there, welcome to the forum.

Alright, I see you have a slightly missunderstanding on what DI means.
When you get hit by that warlock punch, your character will be sent flying in a direction, in the case of a warlock punch it'll be diagonal up.

Now there are 2 main kinds of DI: Normal DI (using the joy stick) and Smash DI (using the C stick).
Both of them have its uses and they can (and should) be used at the same time for maximum efficiency.

Now using DI corectly depends on the attack you've been hit with, and in a lower degree on the stage you are playing on. In the specific case of a Warlock punch there is little you can do, because of the ammount of knockback it does and the trajectory it sends you flying.

But if you are hit with a more horizontal attack, Wolf's D-Smash for instance, you will be sent flying complete horizontal, If you DI Diagonal upwards and to the opposite side of the KO area you're flying to (say you get hit to the left, hold diagonal up to the right), you will most likely survive it, since there is more room on the stage for you to be alive if you travel diagonal than if you're flying horizontal.

DI alone won't let you survive forever, but it does let you stay alive for a longer time than you would if you didn't DI.

Another important aspect on DIing is getting out of combos, in Brawl specifically it's not that usefull since the hitstun on the attacks is ridiculously small. However, if you're trapped on Meta Kights Mach Tornado you might want to attempt DIing and trying to get out before the move it's over.

Another thing you must know in order to aply DI correctly into your game is Aerial Cancel.
Thanks to Brawl's outragous lack of hitstun you can aerial immidiatly after being hit, so imagine you're hit by Wolf's d-smash; if you DI diagonal up to the right (assuming you've been hit to the left) and use your fastest aerial attack (B-Air in Wolf's case) you will survive until very high %.

How Aerial Cancel works:
After using an aerial in mid flight (after being hit) you escape the hitstun entirely, that enables you to use any kind of move you want, for surviving you need to jump and press towards the stage (because jumping cancels a great deal of your momentum and thus slows you down and lets you survive longer).

I hope this helps you out.
Note that this is only the most basic knowledge and you will have to read guides for the more advance stuff.

Top Bottom