• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I know I suck, but can you help me suck less?

Heretic_Angel

Smash Rookie

Edu.

Smash Cadet
1st video: It's not "terrible" you do some good things but I think you should space better your attacks to don't get shieldgrabbed.

2on video: I can't watch it there is some problem with this one :ohwell:

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna say things as I see them so this is in no particular order:

Your approach is somewhat horrible. You run right at Ganon and hope he doesn't hit you EVERY time. Watch your spacing. If you can space properly you can approach properly.

How to space with Sheik:

Always keep you eye on your opponent and keep within visual range of them at all times (about 4 to 6 sheik's away depending on their range.)

You know where you are and what you're doing. This allows you to probably double your reaction time and go where you need to go before any damage is done. Work on powersheilding and spotdodging as well. The less damage to you the better, right?

Either TristinWin or Chok (iirc) have mad skills with b-air spacing. Sheik's aerial agility and that moves incredible safety range in particular are great for spacing. In brawl you can time aerials so that you keep a consistent flow of attacks without landing lag.

Spacing relies fully on fundamentals and is the same for every character. When someone has a sword or projectile the distance between you two should increase for the most part. You can practice on a level 9 CPU. Just don't focus on winning or hitting them for the first little while, just see how long you can go without being hit.

Next thing:

Vanish. You really need to work on your aim for this, for both the hit and the appearnce part. You keep going straight up for some reason and get punished every time.

You don't seem to know how to follow up f-tilt. You follow up your f-airs quite well (I was quite impressed for the beginning segment of your second stock).

F-tilt is to be followed up with:

More f-tilt (Especially for large chars like Ganondorf)
U-tilt

Situationals:

f-air
d-tilt
U-smash

Practice that. Please.

You're always moving which is a great thing, but you don't have to ALWAYS move towards Ganondorf. This makes you very predictable and easy to counter. It's like you were tied to him or something. Speaking of predictability, you followed up f-air with d-tilt too much. This only works at low percentages, and is not really the best choice anyway.

Try forcing him to come to you. You didn't use needles ONCE. Needles is one of the fundamentals of sheik's game.

Sheik fundamentals:

n-air and needles are your FAVOURITE moves.
GRAB.
Spacing works. do it.
D-smash when you feel cornered.
Tippers and FOOTSTOOL are difficult to set up, but they are beautiful things.
Shorthop. Always.

Learn the chainlock. Especially if you play ganon often. Use it near the edge or near platforms to trap people.

Sheik is an edgeguarder by nature. Only one of all her attacks has vertical trajectory, and it's only 1 part of the move. Pressuring people off the stage is your best bet most of the time. Good moves for getting people off the stage:

D-Smash
F-Smash
F-air
B-air
N-air
Sometimes Chain.
Throws.

Many of these things string together, so your focus is always to push and push and push until your opponent is off the edge. With ganon a simple needle to the face can sometimes kill him when he's offstage. He can't seem to get around a chainguard either.

Good moves for KEEPING people off stage:

f-air
needles
Chain (use chainlock manouver with part of chain hanging over the edge)
n-air
b-air

I've seen ankoku use Vanish just before someone grabs the ledge. Awesome
D-smash lasts long enough to hit most characters trying to climb up the ledge.

Error!!!

Smash Rookie
Good Luck with Sheik

I think that you should stop saying that you are not good and start saying that you are an ok player so u get ur self a steam up. You know what i meen? And my advise is to be unpredictable, in other words... do somthing that nobody would aspect u to do that way it is harder to read your game. And by the way i like your Sig =]

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
SinkingHigher pretty much covered everything you should try to work on from the first match, but I just wanted to add a few for the second one.

At the beginning of the match, you did several short hop aerials, and not one actually hit. I'd say there are several reasons for this. First, you're running straight in in a match where you never need to approach. By doing this, you're taking away your biggest advantage: the fact he lags on almost all of his approaches. You can safely just needle away while he struggles to hit you.

Second, you're immediately attacking after a short hop, rather than attacking on the way down. Almost every attack went completely over his head. This works great against short hoppers, but he jumped only twice in the first 30 seconds of the match. If you attack on the way down, you are not only less vulnerable, being on the ground, but you can also immediately follow up.

Also, just one word: Edgehog! At 1:07, 1:13, 1:59, 2:08, 2:25, and 2:58 you had golden opportunities to simply grab the ledge, grab the ledge and do a Bair, or possibly even just run off and Fair/Nair. The ledge is Shiek's friend; use it whenever you can. If you start getting gimp kills earlier in the match, you'll have a much, much easier time.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
It might help if you stopped running into Ganondorf's Fsmash... Not to be mean, but its true... YOU CAN CAMP GANONDORF, SO DO IT! (needles/chain!)

Edit: I'll be a little more constructive in my criticism...

I didnt read SinkingHigher's post cause it is long, so I might repeat some stuff...
Use your ftilt more and force him to DI it, when he's almost out, either SH Nair him, or utilt (utilt is safer...more reliable)

Ganondorf literally cant do crap bout needles and chain like I said.

Don't Dtilt as much... actually the mix-up you were using ftiltx3 or so -> dtilt is good on different characters, I use it.

SH Bair ALOT! great spacing, just don't let him predict it, just run around a lot and whenever he makes a mistake, punish... that's why Ganon is bottom tier ...slow and lots of lag on moves, not to mention no priority.

Also, I noticed you aren't too technically advanced with Sheik, check this out: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=179565

PS: ehhh... ur 2nd vid doesnt work btw, u might know that.

Top Bottom