• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I hope I can figure out the secret of its power one day" - Shulk AT's/tech thread

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Hi there everyone, I've been a long time reader but have yet to make a post.

I wanted to share the information I found while testing Shulk's ability to Glide Toss, now I know it's not exactly applicable since he cannot generate his own projectile, but it's a relatively useful tech to have in the pool right?

Now as far as I'm aware, it is performed through canceling a dash throw with a smash/attack, as a result you not only receive a boost but you also have a (relatively) lag free dash throw which can follow up into anything (my personal favourite being utilt):

(Dashing, holding item, c-stick set to tilt)
:GCCR: - >:GCU:+:GCA:

As for inputs, the way I do it is by setting the c-stick to tilts, and flicking that forward for the dash throw, whilst inputting an up smash with the left control stick. It may be placebo but I also roll the c-stick so it ends up 90 degrees to the right. The timing is tight especially in speed mode, which happens to be the art which benefits the least from it.

I tested whether it would work in every Monado Art (see attached video), but I also tested with every legal item in the game, which I can list next.
:4bowserjr:Bowser Jr - Mechakoopa
:4diddy:Diddy Kong - Peanut, Banana peel
:4link:Link / Toon Link - Bombs (Toon Link's having the most longevity and thus being more useful)
:4sheik:Sheik - Grenade (Must be attacked in the middle of her Grenade throwing animation to drop it)
:4robinm:Robin - Tomes
:4rob:R.O.B - Gyro
:4pacman:Pacman - All neutral special items (except I couldn't get it working with the bell)
:4megaman:Mega Man - Buzz Saw

The potential I see this having is mainly in movement options, I main Shulk mostly, but I started out with Link and still use him as a pocket for matchups I dislike and I use Glide Tossing (aka bombsliding) as a quick movement option and as a way to be offensive whilst placing pressure with lag free bomb throws. Now of course I know Shulk and Link are different characters and I'm terrified of embarrassing myself here, but I'm excited about the find and wish to share it.

Is there an easier way to perform this?

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
Is there an easier way to perform this?
I wouldn't say there are necessarily easier ways to do it, since you only have a few frames to work with.. another way I suggest could be using the grab button to input the dash throw, and then using the attack button and tilting the stick to do the second throw? It works also if the c-stick is set to smash attack, but you will need to use the stick for the second throw and not the dash throw.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Okay so, the Monado Art Buffered Deactivation tech just impressed me to the max. A fellow Monado Boy @Jinban mentioned about this in the Shulk Discord group about a week ago & I just tried it a few hours ago.

So for a MABD example, Monado Speed is active & you're performing Dthrow > anything (usually FAir). If you MABD Monado Speed during Dthrow's endlag & then proceed to dash, you can quickly tap jump to start a jumpsquat & then jump cancel it to perform this stellar sliding Usmash. This ALMOST true combos on some characters at 0% in Training mode. It true combos on mostly the Heavies, so you either MABDJCU immediately after Dthrow's endlag finishes, or wait briefly after a slight dash distance.

Now. . .idc or know what this can be called (MABDJCU = Monado Art Buffer Deactivated Jump Canceled Up smash?. . .), but doing this with Hyper Speed can guarantee the first hit of Usmash on Mario. The problem is the slide is so amazing, that you slide TOO far whiffing the second hit. It can work on Heavies more consistently so far.

Honestly, Hyper Speed's MABDJCU goes half the distance of FD. Monado Speed's MABDJCU goes about half but close to half. This might as well be a DACUS, forreal. Maybe I'll upload a video of this.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
A lot of this has to do with advanced techniques so I'll just leave this here (follow quote for more details):
Data summarized:
move|slide distance
MABD MSpeed JCUS|9 or 7 (-2 for jump crouch)
MABD MSpeed Walk|6.5
MSpeed JCUS|6.5 or 4.5 (-2 for jump crouch)
MSpeed Running Up Smash|6
MJump Landing|5.5
MSpeed Sliding Pivot|5
MARC|5
MSpeed Walk|4
Vanilla JCUS|3.5
MSpeed jump crouch|2

Findings:
-Speed's jump cancelled up smash is worse than speed's running up smash (despite the appearance of longer slide distance)
-MABD from Speed -> run -> jump cancelled up smash travels quite far. The jump cancel is needed here.
-MARC has an unexpectedly large slide distance
-Speed MARC travels the same distance unless the activation animation is interrupted
-MABD MSpeed Walk has a great slide distance

Also
-MABD -> Buster D-Smash is nice because they can't unshield between the hits and get shield poked.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So for some MABD notes involving Jump & HJump + aerials:

Key: JABD = Jump Art Buffer Deactivation | HJABD = Hyper Jump Art Buffer Deactivation
  • JABD into SH FAir or airdodge only suffers from the hard landing lagstate, which is 4 frames.
  • JABD into FH any aerial or airdodge only suffers from the hard landing lag state, which is 4 frames.
  • HJABD into SH FAir or airdodge only suffers from the hard landing lag stage, which is 4 frames.
  • HJABD into FH any aerial or airdodge only suffers from the hard landing lag state, which is 4 frames.
Basically, even if you want to JABD or HJABD anything from a SH or FH, you'll suffer the 4 frames of hard landing lag no matter what. If you empty SH or SH airdodge as Vanilla, you only take the 2 frames of soft landing lag. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Monadom

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2621-3238-3491
Wait, how come MABD lets Vanilla Shulk get more boosts from the aftermath of his Monado Arts than Shulk using Monado Arts?

Regardless, this is a VERY interesting tech that I will probably be barely able to use optimally.

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Wait, how come MABD lets Vanilla Shulk get more boosts from the aftermath of his Monado Arts than Shulk using Monado Arts?

Regardless, this is a VERY interesting tech that I will probably be barely able to use optimally.
One of Speed's effects is to increase Shulk's friction, which is why he doesn't slide very far when you dash -> shield in that mode. That stat also reduces the distance he'll slide with things like JC up smash. When you MABD out of Speed, you get the extra run speed without the extra friction, making you slide farther with these techs.

Monadom

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2621-3238-3491
Thank you for being informative, FOcast FOcast !
So the same thing happens when you MABD out of Jump?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Thank you for being informative, FOcast FOcast !
So the same thing happens when you MABD out of Jump?
Right. When you MABD Jump, you retain the jump height of the art but remove the gravity / fall speed. This is why Monado Jump's Buffered Deactivation into a Short or Full Hop airdodge / aerial goes so high. When you MABD Hyper Jump, you feel like you're using equipment.:laugh:

I updated the thread with more details from erico and mace. Let me know if I screwed up somewhere

Kinda messed up the table though (look at dat font size, lol) and the media for mace's info on b-reversing isn't appearing (at least for me)

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I updated the thread with more details from erico and mace. Let me know if I screwed up somewhere

Kinda messed up the table though (look at dat font size, lol) and the media for mace's info on b-reversing isn't appearing (at least for me)
I see it & I have to press the big play button in the middle. I thought I had a looping GIF but I'll troubleshoot that another time.

Top Bottom