• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have this bad habbit... Do you? What's yours?

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
My bad habbit IMO is to fully charge gyro - why? The dmg increase is mediocre and then there is this unwanted distance gain. Don't get me wrong, some times is much needed but I have found myself more than once in need of a shorter distance gyro drop. One big example is after a near-ledge fight where you have your opponent thrown out of the stage trying to recover and you rly need a well placed gyro in the ledge as an additional edgeguard tool. With a fully charged gyro it is just impossible to place it there.

What about when you need a gyro in your hands for a better neutral play? Fully charged gyro is again not helpfull since shooting it (assuming oppenent won't shield it and making it dissapear) in such a big distance is difficult to obtain it back. One might say, but charging it is making it also last longer on the ground. SO? Again, most of the times it stays there for soooo long, far far away (in a distant galaxy not :rolleyes:) almost forgotten that messes with my b-reversal gyrocancel comebacks or even empty gyro shoots that were perfrormed by mistake thinking the gyro has dissappeared which award only lag and punish.

Again IMO the distance, dmg and duration of a non charged gyro are much more usable than a fully charged one and appart from the speed boost gyro is receiving I see no other reason to charge it (UNLIKE Brawl that actually increased the dmg and knbck so much, making it a lethal projectile). I have this bad habbit of charging it when I am not close to someone, or even worse when I end someone's stock. It doesn't rly fit my playstyle and I keep doing it.

Do you guys agree with me? Are you having any ROB specific bad habbits that you wanna discuss? Maybe someone is having it also and has not even noticed it yet and you help him spot it and get rid of it.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
I just charge gyro based on my situation. Once you put enough hours in as ROB you learn exactly how fast, how far, and at what angle different amounts of charge will send the gyro. Learning these things are key for aiming, especially when trying to snipe. Charging between stocks is always a good idea, IMO, since you can rack up a few extra percent that way. Charging when there is distance between you and your opponent isn't the best idea though, since you could be applying laser pressure or approaching.

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Charge on situations doesn't mean can't get you in a position where uncharged gyro is more optimal since in a tight match well things tend to change pretty fast. You cannot know but only predict how much charge you need, if not intending to shoot the gyro directly or within a few seconds after that. All I am saying unlike brwl, an uncharged gyro always does the job here, unlike a fully charged one (and please don't tell me that even after endless hours of rob playing you still haven't drop a gyro of the ledge instead of putting it directly next to it like you intended).

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
A fully charged gyro isn't as bad as you make it sound, just reposition yourself so that you can hit your opponent. Also can be good for mindgames; if your opponent knows you have a full charged gyro, he certainly doesn't want to get hit by that. Use gyro cancels to mix things up and bait the opponent.
(and please don't tell me that even after endless hours of rob playing you still haven't drop a gyro of the ledge instead of putting it directly next to it like you intended).
While yes this does happen on occasion, I rarely drop a gyro off the ledge. Typically it's better to z drop it anyway.

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Typically it's better to z drop it anyway.
Sadly I think you don't get what I am saying. You can z drop it if you have it in your hands already, what I am saying is when you wanna shoot it in the ledge when you are next to the ledge and no you don't have time to run all way back and shoot from a mile away when its full charged. Again not that terrible as you think i believe it is but inferior to no charge gyro, the reason why I call the act of charging a gyro when you have a chance a bad habbit.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I try to never have a fully charged gyro so I can still b-reverse gyro cancel.

Mm my habits are:
I like to do neutral getup when lying on the ground
Jump from the ledge 90% of the time (still best option tho)
Dtilting when I should jab
Jabbing when I should dtilt
Nairing on shield
Thinking I can still upsmash with the c stick since I've changed it to tilt stick
Grabbing an attack on shield when it should have been upsmash out of shield
Trying to read the DI out of down throw instead of trying to react to it
Overuse of Short Hop
Trying to transition jab 1 into a followup at low %s
Continuously dtilting at low %s once I connect the first one
Lasering/gyro too close
Uptilting when beside of someone when I should do a different attack
Getting stuck in dtilts facing one direction when an opponent crosses me up
B-reversing into harms way
Not utilizing f smash when someone is landing without their second jump
lol not teching
Not FastFalling and spacing Nair
Never empty landing

I'm not done, but I'm done.

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
You just discribed everything I hate doing in this game GJ man. Everything apart from one, a really hated one. Succesfully normal get up from edge being a roll away from oppenent and being safe for a moment -> instant roll to a down smash or a whatever punish of his.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Gyro charging works so stupid. I think it literary increases 2% from no charge to about mid charge, and after that charging does not add damage. What were they thinking? In SSBB it went all the way to 18%!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Gyro charging works so stupid. I think it literary increases 2% from no charge to about mid charge, and after that charging does not add damage. What were they thinking? In SSBB it went all the way to 18%!
19%*
but who's counting ;D

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Hmm.... my bad habits:

Recovering too high when I don't need to

Focusing too much on projectiles

Not landing enough techs

Accidentally giving up the Gyro too easily to Villager and other characters that can steal it and run away

I used to never do normal getups from ledge. Now, I do it too much

Razorninja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Razorninja
3DS FC
4098-2412-1493
Switch FC
2785-7286-3012
A lot of these I can easily relate to, but one habit that I'm guilty of is always doing charged Robo Beam.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Beep! I like to charge gyro only at low percentages to combo either Nair > short hop fair> gyro OR Back throw off ledge > gyro

as far as bad habits, I use tilts and jabs far too much on damaged opponents when I should be using smash attacks out of fear of being punished

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Charged gyro use a great poke that's unreactable so its a free gyro as long as you're unpredictable. It's also a great sniper move against recovering opponents. Charging gyro is also a mixup tool since if you're by a shield, the opponent has to guess if you throw the gyro (rock), shield it (paper), or grab (scissors). This all has to be counted for at frames of a second. Gyro is easily our most versatile move

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Indeed it is, gyro is the reason i love playing with rob so much. As mrEric said I am now trying to not fully charge the gyro enabling me to b reverse gyro cancel, but a habbit is a habbit; I am still fully charging it with no good reason from time to time.

It_Was_Me_Dio

Smash Rookie
NNID
aacree
I guess mine are not using Nuetral B when charged and getting juggled a lot. Also my gyro spacing could be better

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about you guys but I am getting punished pretty often for rolling. I try to not roll, especially back roll, but there is something with rob that makes me not only use it but abuse it from time to time. Maybe it has something to do with his glorious spinning anination ;)

Seriously though with my secondaries, ex pikachu, I rarely roll. Maybe it is the running and walking speed to be blamed that cause my muscle memory to use back roll instead of running back.

Have you caught yourself overdoing this situationaly also?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
My ROB bad habits? I suppose the ones I've noticed will have to be:

1. Not using my laser enough
Dunno if this would really count as a bad habit or not, but I've noticed unless it's an opponent that absolutely requires me to use it (a super defensive or passive one for example, or one that happens to try and charge/use a long distance attack) I don't use it much at all.

2. Always going for that Meteor Smash
If I'm not using his Gyro to land a snipe shot to keep them from recovering I almost always try to Meteor Smash them. I've been trying to use Neutral Air instead, or his Up Air if they are above me but I keep trying that Meteor Smash without even thinking about it.

mourinhosgum

Smash Rookie
NNID
mourinhosgum
3DS FC
1633-4652-4502
One of my worst habits for ROB is using dtilt twice if it hits. As I do this it wastes any potential followups and does minimal damage. Only time it's good is if i space it on shield correctly.

My 2nd bad habit is wasting my recovery and SD'ing. Sometimes when i make it back to the ledge and get a trump or my opponent ends up offstage, I go back offstage to try to get the edgeguard which usually leads to me not having enough fuel to make it back to the stage.

MD_Orpheus

Smash Rookie
NNID
MD_Orpheus
I have a couple myself

• Approaching with nair only to get shield grabbed on multiple occasions
  • Charging gyro when I shouldn't
  • Not teching
  • Landing with nair on top of someone
  • Auto-piloting during a match
  • Healing Ness/Lucas with laser e.e
  • Not reacting fast enough to a missed tech to punish with an usmash or dsmash.

Onnex

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kikirishu
I really have this habit of jumping and shooting uncharged Gyro/beam and somehow getting gimped by the entire cast and losing all my fuel. (My offstage game is terrible in general.) I'm also really attatched to my Gyro and sometimes get killed trying to grab it. X(

I also have the terrible habit of landing with NAir. (On people or on stage.) Been trying my best to get overcome these habits though!

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Abusing/overusing/relying on nair is a habbit I believe the majority of robs have and cannot quit easily. I have learned to live with it :sheep:

Top Bottom