• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have the game, i have GW info and videos

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Double Update: In depth video showing off GW!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh6aaCD6yqM

Update: new gameplay video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlSMPXM1wQY&list=UUMNi1nkIpqkfvHOeLlAmLdA

Sup guys, I'm SFA Smiley. I'm a GW main and I have the japanese version of the game so I can let you know anything you wanna know so far. Just ask here. I also made a post about the new GW on the Brawl boards I just thought I'd share here for you guys.

Here's a match where I used GW from earlier today (we accidentally didnt save 3rd game, you guys would have loved it, amazing match and I was doing beautiful things)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkX5cZRQoI

Also post here if there anything you're wondering. In that post I forgot to add a crucial thing: Dthrow is returned to Melee style. No more tech chases, it bounces you off the ground now.

Okay so yeah Gdubs.

GW is pretty good so far. Can't tell if it's my advantage of maining him in brawl or him just being pretty good. He's mostly the same. I would overall consider him nerfed but not really because of new game mechanics kinda working for him. Ill go into depth about some of his moves.

Usmash is the same. I THOUGHT it might have had a few frames of armor but we just tried to confirm and it doesnt seem like it. It may be invincibility though. or I may just be beating moves. Regardless this favorite of mine if still good.

Fsmash is still pretty good. Seems the same, however GW is more expressive in this game. His LCD type movement has more frames of movement. Both Fsmash and Ftilt make an arc from behind his head to the front of him. Personally I don't like the extra frames of movement. They are mostly visual (ftilt starts behind him now) but it takes away some of the character's uniqueness. He just moves a bit too smoothly now you never get that feeling of being a Game and Watch character trapped in a 3d game. It's a personal gripe but worth noting if you're a fan of the aesthetics and the character itself. Non GW fans like it, people who like him for being ol' skool may be disappointed he's not as much so.

Ftilt got buffed. It's better especially with pivot tilting. That's a new mechanic that allows you to tilt at any point of your dash animation. It's sick, i see a lot of potential. it's like a wavedash back tilt so it'll depend on your character.

Jab is the same but with the new auto jab release mechanic he has a new attack of the end of his jab that does more knockback. He blows a bigger gust of insect spray. Actually a huge buff now that I think of it. Becuse in brawl your chances of getting away with a multijab next to an opponent was pretty 50/50. sometimes you did sometimes you didn't. Now you almost always get them out of your face. Jab confirmed as good GTFO move.

Utilt hits twice now. A little slower but still pretty much the same. Sets up for aerials and such.

Nair is still good but not as good. Hitbox is smaller (You can't space it as well (but it may be the 3ds controls but i don't think so.) Still can get nair strings, still your goto damage racker. Doesn't seem to beat moves above it as well though.

Uair is the same with a weaker/smaller windbox.

Fair is buffed. I dunno about strengthwise but it's MUCH less laggy. Good for edgeguarding in this game, because of the weaker, lingering hitboxes and the new edge mechanics making it safer to chase characters offstage.

Bair is nerfed, still good though. It's pretty much the same but it's like Bair and Fair traded their cooldowns. (Fair is laggier still than bair was, however) I'll check later if turtle cancelling is in (It's where GW can autocancel early bair frames so he can mixup approaches. It wasnt the most useful technique but it may find some use in this)

Dair is nerfed. He can no longer slowfall dair. It sucks but it's what we have. the move itself is still pretty decent but I feel like not being able to mix up our dair speed will hurt GW later in the metagame.

Dtilt is "buffed". It's pretty much the same but now there's a windbox above it (That actually damages opponents.) It's kinda cool I've had some good gimps with it. (In doubles yesterday I did it to a helpless little mac and he flew offstage), but overall It more of a pain to punish landing with it because they get blown upwards instead of landing on the Manhole cover. We'll have to see. It's still a good move though and one of my most used ones.

Dash attack is buffed. It has more knockback and goes farther making it a good punish if you're just not quite fast enough to reach the opponent in time. It send them forwards now but it's possible it has two hitboxes. It doesnt Stage spike on the ledge anymore though.

Dsmash is the same pretty much.

bacon is pretty much the same.
Side-B as I can tell so far it pretty much the same.
Bucket works the same but no onger stalls momentum. I'm hoping a custom version of bucket will though.
Up-b still has parachute! I was afraid he would lose it, but it's still there in all it's glory. It doesn't cover as much distance however. This is also great: In brawl GW could jump after up-b if he saved a jump and buffered an aerial out of the apex of the move. This was buffed an now as long as he attacks first (at any time) he can jump again. This is a pretty cool buff it allows for more useful mixups. Especially now that you can pop people off the ledge.

He also loses Down taunt with a better one! He now sits down and sighs. It's really cool. He still has 2 ****ing bells though (sakurai....)

And yeah that's about all I can think about off the top of my head

Overall he's very similar and if you used him in brawl you'll have a good time. Chasing people offstage is much more viable in this game and with the new ledge mechanics GW mains will be finding themselves getting KOs easier than in brawl. Offstage dair is still really good even without the slowfall (just don't SD)

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll have matches put up later today btw @
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMNi1nkIpqkfvHOeLlAmLdA/videos

it's my crew's new channel

also subscribe to my personal youtube
www.youtube.com/mytagisasmileyface

Wafty beat Zero on stream yesterday so i'll be uploading that match too. =) And I also have doubles with Fow to upload as well.

Last edited:

Smaggles

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the run down, really interested to see where he will go but it sounds like most of the changes will hurt him. Dair forcing super fast fall specifically, and nair being smaller and harder to hit. Really hope g&w doesn't get as ignored as he usually does but I don't see that happening.

Splice

Smash Hero
Also post here if there anything you're wondering. In that post I forgot to add a crucial thing: Dthrow is returned to Melee style. No more tech chases, it bounces you off the ground now.
Despite that, you still got Dthrow Dsmash to work at low % haha

Good to see dash attack at the edge still stage spikes.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
He's nerfed but the edgeguard buff is REALLY good and we don't understand edgeguarding yet. Right now i've been doing the brawl thing where I work em up to 150% and Dair but I feel like once I master the edge game/offstage game it will be a more more reliable way to kill people which is honestly his major problem.

I don't think he'll be bad though but he'll probably stay pretty average.

Edit: And I no longer consider the dtilt a "buff" its not as big as the brawl one. And that really hurts his spacing game on the ground

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well, after watching, I'm happy to see that most of G&W's spacing game is intact. And yeah, edgeguarding and land trapping is a new game for us to learn, which G&W still has good tools for.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
He looks decent, is U smash still laggy? F Smash lost a lot but there may still be good ways to kill, I hope.

Valdens

Smash Ace
I did some testing earlier - with no DI or downward momentum cancelling, usmash and sweetspot dsmash kill Greninja at 95 ~_~

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Greninja can slowfall his dair. It's also safe on shield (He bounces really high) and a move yesterday (i forget which) killed me at 80. This dude sakurai must hate the oldies.

shapular

Smash Ace
Does dthrow have set knockback? It seemed to have low knockback even at higher percents from what I've seen. Does dthrow to usmash work at kill percents?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
No, and that will definitely not work. Possibly at lower percents however.

it sends you pretty decently high at later percents. Maybe you'd be able to get an Up-B off

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Considering how long it takes to get a stock off, is the 9 hammer as good of an 0HKO as it used to be?

Is there ANYTHING that combos off of the Dtilt?

Can Dthrow be followed up with a Dsmash, if so, at what percentage?

Does the 8 hammer last long enough to watch the poor helpless victim fall all the way offstage?

Does a feel like he's a step behind others because of the whole "roll dodge is the new wavedash" thing?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Does he still have his magnificent revolutionary Down Taunt from Brawl which stunned animation and video-game developers everywhere?

Valdens

Smash Ace
His Brawl down taunt is replaced with him sitting down and sigh

I don't think dthrow -> dsmash works... if it does, it would only be at the very lowest percents.

NOTHING combos out of dtilt. It had roughly double the ending lag it had in Brawl. It's honestly an awful move now aside from the niche use of its wind effect.

9 hammer seems to still be a near OHKO.

His roll is still terrible. With everyone else's being so great, it puts him as a severe disadvantage. This game is all about grounded approach - anyone can roll away from GnW's aerial approach now very safely. I'm finding out he's more nerfed every day. :(

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Update guys.

Upon further use i definitely have to agree with Valdens that he is very nerfed, now that it's been some days and i don't just have the advantage of familiarity with the character i can say this with more confidence

Ill be doing a video rundown because:

MY CAPTURE CARD IS IN

Get ready for some quality videos

Ill be doing peach as well and other characters after that once I get some time, im a busy guy ugh

I just got my streaming 3ds and STILL dont have time to play with it yet unfortunately

subscribe to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMNi1nkIpqkfvHOeLlAmLdA/videos

thats where theyll be posted

Splice

Smash Hero
I can't wait for it man!
If you can manage it, would you be able to demonstrate how all the different hitboxes of Nair move the opponent? (like 1st and 2nd fish hitbox, 1st and 2nd (and 3rd?) fishbowl hitbox, it doesn't look the exact same as Brawl from what I've seen).

Apparently when your attack makes contact with the opponent, this gives the attacking character increased aerial momentum and control. Since I assume GnW still can change direction in the air and maintain speed, he might have some good opportunities hitting with a move like Nair and choosing which side of the character he comes out of and having more control over which hitboxes hit? Could be really cool and fun skillful play, if it works the way I see in my head :p

Last edited:

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
How good is G&W's bair? Is the reach extended, the power increased, maybe both?

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It feels smaller, but it has less cooldown in the air, more on the ground. Power is improved but it's overall nerfed because you can't use his main approaching tool on the ground as effectively anymore.

The video im making is done, i just have to do editing. I was supposed to edit it (and the peach video as well) tonight, but im tired now and was playing wifi earlier to catch up with my friends. it'll be up tomorrow =)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
From what I seen I feel his dash attack is going to be one of his main tools in this game. Same for his fair since it has less lag. Might sound weird but his fair can probably be used more like his bair in this game lol. I don't think he was nerfed that badly and he is still a threat offstage as he used to be.

He's definitely going to be played differently now, which may be why you're struggling with him a bit since you're used to brawl GW.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It's a pity customs aren't permitted in random online, because all of his look viable.

The Melee version of Fire in particular interests me if it really has as much KO power as it was said to have in the custom move breakdown thread.

Top Bottom