• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have stumbled across something VERY serious, everyone needs to read this! VID IS UP

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Oh man, where to start.

Ok, look. I made a level a little while ago, and I was doing some testing on it with me using Toon Link against a level 9 Kirby. I killed the Kirby with perfect stock (I used two stock so the match would not drag on) and I decided to record the match so it would save as a replay. I always do this so in case I decide to alter it greatly, I can have the old layout saved. Anywho, I began to watch the replay.

Then, something...STRANGE happened. The match started off ok, with me scoring 17% damage on Kirby and Kirby scoring 8% damage on my Toon Link. Then... Toon Link began to act strangely, and he flew off the level with a down stab and killed himself. The match hardly even started. Now, this caused me to sit up and watch, because I KNEW for a FACT I did not die when I fought him. Anyways, the match continued on with Toon Link acting weird and Kirby whooping him, then he killed ME with perfect stock.

So I watched the replay again. The second time yielded the real match that I recorded, with me finishing with perfect stock and killing Kirby. So I watched the replay again, and the fake match came back on. Then I watched it again, and the real match came back on.

...Needless to say, I went into the kitchen to get some water, because I thought I was losing my mind. Maybe I was hallucinating? I came back and watched it again and again, over and over, and the same thing kept HAPPENING. I got scared, strange as it may sound, because it was just freaky.

Before anyone asks, yes, I recorded the phenomenon. The quality is crappy, but your sight is not hindered in any way to force you to not be able to see.

EDIT: Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s84hYcQqKGs

I am not yanking anyone's leg, or pulling any pranks. I am dead serious, and freaked out by this ordeal. I am thinking about even putting up the exact same level for upload on the stage browser so other people can test this strange occurrence. I want EVERYONE to try this on this one level, just so I can see what the problem is. Maybe it is just a glitch? Maybe it is the level? Something internal? One too many replays saved? Whatever it is, it's weird, and it NEEDS to be tested.

At the very least, to put to ease the mind of one of your own, because guys, that kind of thing is not cool at all.

I want everyone to watch this video from the first second to the last, and to come back here and give me your thoughts and theories. My own theory is that my disc is haunted and I need to take it to a priest, or maybe that the replay file is corrupted, and the fake video is a gathering of data from the real one to create something seemingly similar, but with a completely different outcome/results.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Heh... I remember that one time, while playing WORMS, the instant replay played quite differently to what actually had happened. And the match continued with the results of the altered instant replay. I laughed.

toadturtle3

Smash Cadet
sounds to me like the replay actually replays a series of recorded button presses instead of a copy of the fight. Odds are that during some moment of the fight something happened that caused the game not to respond exactly the same each time (perhaps a rounding issue for distances?) Then your character will go on with odd behavior following that according to button presses, but be out of position, and his moves will be uneffective. I've seen something similar on mk64 where your ghosts sometimes hit a wall and start driving erratically on turns where you were very close to the wall but actually cleared it during the real run. I don't know if this is the same thing, but its an idea.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
**** this satellite internet, it is just taking way too frickin' long. Is there a way for me to put it up without me having to upload the entire file? I have no way of knowing how far in it is uploading, or if it is even uploading at all (even though it says it is still uploading, I don't believe it. I mean, it is about to be an hour, and is 74 MB that hard to upload with a satellite connection?

Frey

Smash Journeyman
**** this satellite internet, it is just taking way too frickin' long. Is there a way for me to put it up without me having to upload the entire file? I have no way of knowing how far in it is uploading, or if it is even uploading at all (even though it says it is still uploading, I don't believe it. I mean, it is about to be an hour, and is 74 MB that hard to upload with a satellite connection?
and sorry about double posts but, yes satellite sucks ***, you lose power in place of convenience.

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
Oh hey. I totally remember this happening with some Starcraft replays back in the day. Me and my brother would play a game against computers (it was the mode were both of us controlled the same base/units, on a LAN) and when we played the replay, the video that was carried out was something completely different than the game we had actually played. We had won, but in the replay the computer had massed Carrier'd us.

Was really weird. Never figured out why that was though.

Frey

Smash Journeyman
I bet there are glitches in the replay system, which make the computer not react to the button presses all the time... Notice how they are not video files, but button combinations, sooner or later the thing probably glitched into thinking this is a real match, and carried out as so disregarding the rules.

IceEmblem

Smash Journeyman
Constantly inside a R.O.B Halloween Costume
Theres something your not telling us, i know! when you went to the kitchen you didnt get water, you got juice! DA DA DA!

On Topic: maybe you swapped places with kirby, so kirby did eveything you did, and nvice cersa, and it keeps swapping every time.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
This goes for lots of games. I've seen it happen on Gran Turismo. Since the game doesn't save an actual video file (I think) it just saved who did what then replays it with the games engine. So the date might have been corrupted at one part or the game lagged a little bit and got out of place. So maybe a jump didn't happen when it was supposed to and the rest of the match gets screwed up.

-Onyx

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Sorry lavis, but you do every now and then post topics for the lulz, so dont blame them.
Well yea, but this is not one of those times. I can't believe that I have actual evidence of my claims and am at the mercy of Youtube's really annoying "PLEASE BE PATIENT- THIS MAY TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES. ONCE COMPLETED YOU WILL SEE A CONFIRMATION MESSAGE." screen. This would be so much easier if I could somehow post the video without having to upload the video. I think I could post it as an attachment, but I believe you still have to upload the entire file regardless before you can even MAKE an attachment.

It is a headache.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Something similar happened to me when I was trying to record one of my playthroughs of my friend's Fire Emblem hack. My emulator has a record function, so I was hoping to use that to make a youtube video. However, upon replaying the video to be sure I got everything, not only did battles have completely different outcomes than when I played (including people getting killed when I KNOW I managed to make everyone survive the mission), people moved places I did not put them, and it opened up menus I did not look at during any point of the recording.

It eventually ended with the main character dying, and thus, getting a Game Over... something I know didn't happen because I clearly won the mission and my game save proved it since it was set to start up the next chapter... I was just as freaked out as you were.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Theres something your not telling us, i know! when you went to the kitchen you didnt get water, you got juice! DA DA DA!

On Topic: maybe you swapped places with kirby, so kirby did eveything you did, and nvice cersa, and it keeps swapping every time.

Maybe, but the real match I won with a downstab, and the fake match kirby won with a somersault. I dunno. What I found peculiar is that kirby even absorbed me in the fake match when he didn't even absorb me at all in the real one.

I was like WHAT THE CRAP?! :dizzy:

I am trying to see if I can put it up on rapidshare and have someone with a quick internet connection download it so at the very least SOMEONE knows I am not lying to everybody.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Ok, maybe I need to quit picking on Youtube after all. I went to upload it on rapidshare and it said that it would take 85 minutes on their site. It has been about an hour at most when I started uploading it on youtube, so in about 15-30 minutes, if it is not done uploading, then I will probably cancel it on youtube, and start uploading it on rapidshare. At least with rapidshare they give you a frickin' bar of progress. At the very least, I will give it 30-45 minutes on youtube, and if it doesen't upload, I am transfering sites. Thanks for the patience.

@Epamek: Well, Pollock/Grant to be more literal. XD

kr3wman

Smash Master
If indeed he posts a video of it happening, how will it affect other people?

ChaoticTH

Smash Ace
Some town in USA Georgia Mains: Falco and Yoshi _
Tis reminds me of a Captain Falcon Replay I saved...

When I actually made the match, all of Falcon's attacks were PERFECTLY in sync with the Final Destination Music, but when I saved it as a Repla, the punches were off. And it was permanent.

At least the Same Time Falcon Paunch was saved. XD

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
Meh, it seems like you did the downstab, but the game thought it was towards the side a little, since you DID do it at pretty much the same place, once you died, your TL became a CPU, since the game did not know what to do.

Just my theory anyway

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Meh, it seems like you did the downstab, but the game thought it was towards the side a little, since you DID do it at pretty much the same place, once you died, your TL became a CPU, since the game did not know what to do.

Just my theory anyway
So what you are basically saying is that the culprit was the downstab all along? That the downstab had the power to create a completely different match composed from the downstab's awesomeness of breaking the system?

Move over Falcon Punch, there is a new epic move on the horizon.

In all seriousness though, I figured it had something to do with the left side, because when you compare the two videos, it would seem the downstab death from the fake one used the data from the real video from when kirby kicked me and the edge caught me and interpreted it as me missing the edge and dropping on the other side.

Of course, even THEN the physics don't line up in that theory.

Top Bottom