• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have no idea how to deal with a good Villager...

SuperDS64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDS64
3DS FC
1676-3810-3884
I've played a good Villager about 15 times, different characters, all lost. And this is just trying to figure him out.

Basically he's being a beast with his slingshot and taking advantage of the ledge for trees and bowling balls. Every time, he can time a shot as he passes the ledge, and then another by backing from the ledge and 2nd jump to shoot another and re-hang. Other than that, he get Lloyd to make me go into the air so he can slingshot me or have me shield to grab me...that grab is godly long. Anytime I'm near him, he combos me with 2 jabs and 1 f-tilt, worked almost every time. If in the air, above or below, he pushes me back with either turnips or n-air. How do I deal with this?

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
Use Rosalina.

But seriously, I would say that your shield is your best friend. The slingshot from ledge is very predictable, so just shield and let the Villager come to you. Villager also doesn't have too many options from above, so if you're below him you're in an advantageous spot. The best he can do is the sourspot of a turnip or falling nair, which again is very predictable and shield grabs punish. Don't mess with the tree, it's best to avoid it completely than to play around it and hope to reflect/sheild. Without timber you'll know that the axe is coming. Again, shield is your friend.

SuperDS64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDS64
3DS FC
1676-3810-3884
Yeah that's what I try to do, but whenever I shield, he grabs with the stupidly huge net. About 1 Bowser size away and he still grabs my shield as I try to block his Lloyd, slingshots, etc. Did I mention he's pretty much got the short-hop slingshots mastered?

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Can I ask who your favorite characters are?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah that's what I try to do, but whenever I shield, he grabs with the stupidly huge net. About 1 Bowser size away and he still grabs my shield as I try to block his Lloyd, slingshots, etc. Did I mention he's pretty much got the short-hop slingshots mastered?
If you're constantly getting grabbed then that means your defense is getting very predictable. Villager's grab is pretty punishable.

I play against a friend who mains Villager and just camping him and staying on the defense is more than enough until I find an opportunity to punish. Lloyd isn't all that threatening to me from far.

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Yea find a character who is good at a distance. From far away there's not much villager can do that isn't readable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom