• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Have Major Trouble Against Falcos

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
So, I've been playing this Falco online recently and I've only been able to beat him a couple of (LUCKY!) times. It's really hard! I feel so helpless. He constantly SHL's (for some reason he doesn't SHDL), and, because he has no lag when he lands and I get stunned, he gets a free grab on me. After that, he chain grabs me to the edge for a spike.

Now usually I can jump out of it and footstool jump him (only because he screws up, of course), but when he actually pulls it off its devestating. I needed everything I had without getting spiked to ALMOST win a match, and him getting a free stock on me almost completely ruins any chance of me winning.

I have no idea what to do. Now, we only played on Final Destination and Smashville (both of which give him optimal space to laser me to death), but I don't think the outcome would be any different if I played him somewhere else. If I sheild his lasers, they eventually break through. If I side step them, then he runs up and grabs me. If I let them hit me, thats even worse. If I approach above the lasers, he just moves back (or under me) and proceeds to space me more with the lasers. Its not really camping, since he does so much more than just lasering, but he uses the lasers to supplement everything he does so I can't shield his attacks. I'm getting frustrated.

What can I do? How should I approach? How should I kill? Can DK F-tilt the lasers (I'm pretty sure he can't)? Assuming if DK could do that, then everything would be fine. But because he can't (right?), There's nothing stopping Falco from pinning DK down and hitting him with anything from a grab to an Up Smash because Falco has 0 lag when landing after firing a laser. It's ridiculous. How do you guys beat Falcos?

veritron

Smash Cadet
Falco's one of DK's worst matches.

That said, what's stopping you from approaching with your b-air?

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Lasers, and him just moving out of my range after I jump. If I short hop to Bair, he just lasers me and I stop. That being said, I usaually have to jump up high to get to him anyways (he's at the other side of the stage keeping me pinned), and even if he isn't far away I usually have to jump high just to dodge the lasers. After that he just dashes under me so I can't hit him.

Maybe if I just jump to dodge the lasers instead of going for a bair, but that wouldn't work because all that does is help him. Sure, he'd be hitting me LESS, but he'd still be racking up damage on me. There's no need to rush in when you can just hang back and watch percentages go up. Like I said, its not camping because he usually uses lasers to supplement everything else he does. Once he hits me and he's close enough, I get grabbed or smashed or something. I can't stop it.

veritron

Smash Cadet
I'm a pretty average falco player do you want to try learning off me? Either you'll win or I'll tell you what you're doing wrong because I main dk.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
I can't play right now, but the more practice I get the better. I'll try to remember to add you so we can play later, most likely tomorrow.

Cardd

Smash Cadet
aight dude, my arch nemesis's main is falco and i play him, and DK is definitly being contested as my main.
and he has a friggen good falco.

When he spams lasers, you have to get in his face quickly, jump over his lazer spam and attack with an aerial, preferably fair but you have to get the timing right so you don't get super punished by a smash. Then it's a matter of fight since your in his face, so you gotta distance youself far enough so he won't cleanly smash you with the wings, since you got range on him. then you got him, if he rolls alot, pull out the double fisted dsmash.

Option two he's hang from the edge and make him come towards you. Don't be scared of the spike b/c in case u didn't know the new up b has SA at the very begining and he'll just take damage from you.

Even if you time it wrong, you wont die from a 0% spike, up b again and you'll both be near the ledge, proly with him off, and you and advantage.

veritron

Smash Cadet
one of the gayest things you can do is grab the edge and abuse his recovery attack - below 100% dk's ledge recovery attack is possibly the best in the entire game and it surprises the **** out of people who aren't expecting it.

spades

Smash Cadet
i can understand the frustration from fd laser spam, but smashville is a bit different. the moving platform should help tremendously against most projectile spam. Use the platform to close the gap against him and make use of your quick bair, dbl bair, and bair to utilt.

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
while he is laser spamming from a distance, double jump and charge your punch. Once charged, jump towards him till you are just in/out of its range. You may get hit by 1 or 2 laser during this whole process, but I am sure he will stop lasering you at that range with your DK punch charged.

Considering that he is near the edge when you get near him, he will have two real options, jump at you or perform some ground attack such as his reflector to prevent you from coming closer. But remember, you are just out of his range but yet in his face. It is unlikely he will rush you head on. What you do from there is up to you but I suggest using Bairs... Good luck.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i've said it before...and i'll say it again, the best thing against falco you can do with DK is not pick him.
You might win...but only if u make no mistakes and they make plenty. One grab = a KO. DK is far too big to simply dodge and jump over projectiles, lol.
Falco can run away so easily, especially with phantasm, especially on big levels.
You're best bet is probably Battlefield..but realistically you should still, most deffinately, lose to a 'good' falco.

I'd give you advice for DK that 'works', but it doesn't really make a big difference.

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
True, a good Falco will easily do 50-60 damage with an early grab. However, fighting wise, it is not too hard to fight a Falco with DK. I presented a strategy/scenario earlier. Another bit of tactic that I find amazingly useful is to grab, cargo to edge, then down throw (underhand toss). What do you think the falco player will do next? Thats right, phantasm and normally onto the stage in an attempt to hit you. I personally catch a lot of falcos by simply rolling back after they jump before their phantasm, then Fsmash.

This is not a "wonder" solution, but I bet it will work the first few 2 stock that you do this to your opponent.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
You guys are bringing up some good points about the Falco matchup, but could you please post it up in the new matchup thread here, as we're discussing Falco right now.

Top Bottom