• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have five mains specifically for the top 10 characters

Would you play multiple characters as counter picks and for fun?

• Total voters

Pat-Daddy The Hunter

Smash Rookie
I have a Yoshi for Fox and Jigglypuff.

A Peach for Samus and Pikachu.

A Falco for Ice Climbers and Marth.

A Doc for Sheik and Peach.

And a Pichu for Falco and Captain Falcon.

As someone who loves to play multiple characters in any game, I thought it would be smart to play characters that could have a chance against characters that have a solid weakness to someone else's strength.

thf24

Smash Cadet
I can almost guarantee you that you'll get worse results in the long run than if you just concentrated on one or two characters and had to deal with a few bad match ups.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
With as good as Falco is, you won't need your other character selections as counters.

The problem with maining so many characters in melee is that eventually there will start to be an inequality with skill between them. You will start using one character over others because you are doing better with them, slowly replacing your counterpicks until you're only left with your new "main" character and a bunch of others who have been outclassed. After all of that, you will have picked a single main with a bunch of basically time spent practicing characters you don't use anymore. You will have slowed your competitive progress substantially.

I started my career this way too (although I never claimed that all 6 characters I played were my mains), it is not a path I would advise if you want to be competitively relevant any time soon.

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
His choice for counters is also highly questionable. Like Yoshi for Puff? Doc for Sheik? Pichu for anything?

Kaibo

Smash Cadet
WTF FIVE MAINS

DO I EVEN NEED TO EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS AN AWFUL IDEA

MKarma

Smash Cadet
5 mains just mean you have 5 secondaries without an actual main (also the matchups you're using them for are really not optimal at all)

Divided and conquered. That's what your skill will be when you split it across 5 characters

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'm just going to assume this is one of those stereotypical Smash 4 players who have like "8 mains" and carried that tradition into Melee. Just another casual player, move along gents.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
I'm just going to assume this is one of those stereotypical Smash 4 players who have like "8 mains" and carried that tradition into Melee. Just another casual player, move along gents.
At least we could help him. I dual main in smash 4 and solo in melee because this game requires the most skill and its best to channel that into one character.

atara

Smash Cadet
It's one thing to do this, but you haven't really chosen good counterpicks. Pika mains generally agree that if you can DI Shiek's chaingrab, Falco is his worst non-floaty matchup, so using Pichu here makes no sense. Yoshi mains unanimously agree that Fox is Yoshi's worst matchup period. And Doc does "well" (relatively) vs. spacies, but have you ever seen Shroomed vs Armada?

If you really want to do this, go Doc vs. spacies/Pikachu, Yoshi vs Marth/Puff/ICs, Mewtwo vs Shiek and Peach, and **** it learn the Falcon ditto. It still won't work, but at least you can mess up people who don't know about low tiers.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I don't agree Yoshi's worse match up is Fox, I think Peach is but that's just me.

D

Deleted member

So, like this? :p

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'd love to see someone main a low tier army designed to handle the top tiers. Something like Pika, Yoshi, and M2 would be rad. That would be soooo much extra work, but talk about styling.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
I think it's possible to main all the characters, or realistically half of the cast, but you'd have to be extremely experienced and skilled. Also you would probably have to be very gifted in a way that allows awareness of timings and hit boxes and such of so many characters. So it's possible imo but highly unlikely for someone to because it probably takes a special person to do that if it were feasible for someone to ever be that gifted.

Speaking of experience, it takes roughly ten years(10,000 hours) to master something with devoted effort, so it wouldn't happen over night necessarily.

Last edited:

Pat-Daddy The Hunter

Smash Rookie
His choice for counters is also highly questionable. Like Yoshi for Puff? Doc for Sheik? Pichu for anything?
For Yoshi, I can use my egg throw to disrupt her recovery. For Doc, I believe his down special can be used effectively against Sheik's down throw. For Pichu, chain grabs on FD and can disrupt birds' recovery.

Pat-Daddy The Hunter

Smash Rookie
For those wondering, I have Melee on the emulator and Brawl on the Wii. I only play Smash 4 at my local GameStop. So yeah, you can say I am a Counterpicking nut.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
You say things you can do well against those characters (which are true), but you forget the crazy amount of advantages the characters have against your counter picks. Peach has a great interrupt for any Yoshi combos (nair), and her turnips help prevent yoshi from having any reliable approaches. Peach can essentially run away from Yoshi on most stages and Yoshi can't defeat it easily. Doc has the same issues with approaching vs. sheik. And sheik can really easily gimp Doc's recovery. And Pichu is all around flawed with just being a fundamentally bad character. Falco doesn't even need lasers, just bairing will snuff pichu a lot. I'm not a Pichu vs. Falco expert, but something tells me it's like Falco vs. Pikachu, just way worse for Pichu. If you just want to have fun, all the power to you, but this thinking isn't the most sound approach to competitive play.

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
PLEASE:

DO NOT MAKE MULTIPLE REPLIES

MERGE YOUR REPLIES INTO ONE POST.

I've done it before, and I'm not saying I'm perfect. But at least acknowledge that you posted a ****-ton of stuff that cluttered the page. If you look at the bottom left of your posts, you will see an edit button. Copy the info in all your posts, and put it into one of your previous ones, and delete the others. This allows the page to be less cluttered.

I know I'm not a moderator, but this kind of thing just irks me.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
For Yoshi, I can use my egg throw to disrupt her recovery. For Doc, I believe his down special can be used effectively against Sheik's down throw. For Pichu, chain grabs on FD and can disrupt birds' recovery.
That reasoning isn't exactly the strongest. I mean I don't even know what you mean by Doc's down b is good against Sheik's chaingrab, I imagine it's actually pretty bad

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I would recommend 2 or 3 at most, just learn the match ups, I personally say stick with peach and falco, they don't have an extremely hard time if you are willing to put in the work on their bad mu's

Melansjf

Smash Rookie
I'm new to the site, but I know for a fact that you can't main more than one character.

It's just not the way it works from a mental aspect. You can't be the same level of skill with two characters, you can be close, but there's a reason why you have a main and a backup. Forcing yourself to try to be even comoetent with more than two or three characters as a "main" is incredibly difficult for even top smashers. If you go in Jack of all/King of none, then you'll be destroyed.

I also think that your picks are a little off in my point of view. But I know that people can be great with ****ty characters. I won a university Smash tournament (I went for an easy W and was met with actual technical abilities that were probably beyond my own) and I, for some stupid reason, can still be beat occasionally by my older brother who uses Kirby..... He just understands that little pink ******* (although it may just be a psychological barrier preventing me from beating the person I feel so highly of).

TL;DR- You can only main one character, and be almost as good with your backup.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm new to the site, but I know for a fact that you can't main more than one character.

It's just not the way it works from a mental aspect. You can't be the same level of skill with two characters, you can be close, but there's a reason why you have a main and a backup. Forcing yourself to try to be even comoetent with more than two or three characters as a "main" is incredibly difficult for even top smashers. If you go in Jack of all/King of none, then you'll be destroyed.

I also think that your picks are a little off in my point of view. But I know that people can be great with ****ty characters. I won a university Smash tournament (I went for an easy W and was met with actual technical abilities that were probably beyond my own) and I, for some stupid reason, can still be beat occasionally by my older brother who uses Kirby..... He just understands that little pink ******* (although it may just be a psychological barrier preventing me from beating the person I feel so highly of).

TL;DR- You can only main one character, and be almost as good with your backup.
I personally don't think all smashers are the same. Maining two characters isn't automatically detrimental to every player. All the 6 gods minus leffen essentially dual main. I'll agree it's typically not the best way for a new player to start, but it certainly could be.

Melansjf

Smash Rookie
I personally don't think all smashers are the same. Maining two characters isn't automatically detrimental to every player. All the 6 gods minus leffen essentially dual main. I'll agree it's typically not the best way for a new player to start, but it certainly could be.
Things like natural ability have a huge part in it. But even with two "mains" one will always be better/preferred, it's just the way the human mind works. Although these thoughts can shift from character to character based on a variety of circumstances; winning streak, poor play with the other, and simply a day where you're just tearing it up with someone.
I know I main Falco, but sometimes I try playing Fox/Captain Falcon/ Marth, and I just instantly sync with them.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
all 6? hbox doesn't dual main and there are only 5 gods excluding leffen

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
all 6? hbox doesn't dual main and there are only 5 gods excluding leffen
Well, I forgot about hbox lol. But whether you call leffen a God or not is irrelevant. My point still stands.

M Melansjf picking your best character isn't always the issue. All matchups are different and it may suit a player better to use one character for certain matchups and the other for others.

All I'm saying is "one main is absolutely the only way to go" is wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom