• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a question about the ganon vids.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
I have watched a few actual matches videos, wich I consider to be very valuable as research data because there you can see the pros performing under pressure, and also teachs you mindgames.

However, I have come unto a curious conclusion. Why does nobody spike or meteor smashes their oponents in actual matches? with either Dair or down-b outside the edge?

Maybe I just like to play extremelly agressive, but when I play my ganondorf, i like to jump out of the stage chasing after my oponents, trying to spike them or land a decisive Fair (and its part of the mindgames too. Given Ganondorfs floatability, its easy to use a fake Uair so the oponent airdodges it, and THEN you use your double jump with a Bair or whatever is at hand).

I understand the reverse Uair is a very effective tactic, but to me it looks like it's overused when there are far more options that arent precisely poor choices.

Could some of the skilled ganondorfs here explain me their points of view and reasons to play this way?

I'm not critizising, this is an actual, serious question.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I try to avoid meteors, because they are often cancelled in pro matches. I have, however, been trying to incorporate Double jumped Fair finishers, but they usually aren't necessary, because people haven't are dodged it for me yet.

chaddd

Smash Lord
There are so many reasons to avoid meteors, including people's varying ability to wall-tech and meteor cancel. However, it's not unheard of to use them. In fact, here's a match of me in Winner's Finals at some random Georgia tournament:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTNODsTOns

I don't consider myself a pro Ganon, but many people have been referring to me as such, so I guess I'm just going with it. And never forget. The amount of greedy actions you can pull off in a single tournament match is an indication of about how good you are. Haha. Just kidding, of course, but greed is what makes this game so much fun. Anyway, enjoy the match.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm not really aware of how easily are meteors and other spikes canceled, since the people i play with never usually survive them. I suppose thats why I see them less often than i think they should be done.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's pretty easy to meteor cancel, even when caught by surprise, although it's harder to meteor cancel with some chars and survive (like bowser). as for down b spiking.... the problem with it is that you leave yourself extremely vulnerable if you mess up. What if they happen to wall tech it? They can suddenly turn the tables on you. I don't like being greedy and go for the quick kill, only to have a fox shinespike me. Sure, you can go for them every once in a while, if you think it might work, but isn't the primary way to edgeguard.

Top Bottom