• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have a question about match-ups?

Weber_2102

Smash Rookie
My friend and I have been going to this tournament and we can beat the guys that win the tournament but we lose to the lesser players along the way. does anyone know whats going on?

Weber_2102

Smash Rookie
Well I play falco to a decent level, I've got tech skill with plenty of mind games. We will play round robins to place seeding and I usually get matched up with the best guys there and I'll come out of the round robins on top but when the actual ladder starts up I lose to the players that get four stocked by the guys I beat in the round robin. none of these guys sandbag or anything like that these people play like every match is the finals at MLG.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
could be a lack of focus, but it also depends on what characters they use. For example, if you are losing to jigglypuff but beating C. Falcon, that is reasonable.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Try to be more defensive and figure out the pace at which they play.I use to find myself running into prolbems because when I played a competitor who I thought I could win I would ussualy play in an overly aggressive way.

Weber_2102

Smash Rookie
Its not character match-ups I honestly believe it is a mental thing I just wanted to know if anyone has been through this kinda thing before and if they knew what the problem was.

N64

Smash Champion
It's usually just a clash of playstyles. These "less skilled players" probably do something that you're not used to having to fight against, or they are quicker to realize some habit you have (i.e. always approaching the same, or always shielding/downdodging in a certain situation) and are abusing it. When you play them, watch what they're doing and how you naturally respond to it and try to figure out what you're getting hung up on. If you get hit with 7 forward smashes in a row, figure out what you're doing to be vulnerable at that time and what they're doing to get spaced right to fsmash you. Adapt your playstyle so that you react differently or don't fall for the same things, and you should do better.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Underestimating your opponent, I see. I'm glad nothing like that has ever happened to me..I'd be pissed, haha.

But wait...you're making it sound like this has happened numerous times. Is that the case?

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
This sorta thing use too happen to me. Most likely you've developed a style that you do well with in general, and use that same style against everybody you play. But sometimes your style is less effective against against other ppl and their styles, regardless of their skill. I use to fall prey too a simple combination of crouch-canceling, d-tilts, f-smash and dash attack. So I sat down and thought about why I kept falling for and it was really very simple, I was playing too aggressively and not thinking while I played. So I stopped running in blindly with shffls, and I forced them too whiff with smart defensive gameplay. So instead of relying on your style of play all the time, focus on your opponents style instead. If they crouch-cancel alot, grab more instead of shffling. Simply thinking about why your getting hit and how to counter it will make you alot better, you should do this during and after a match with someone.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Lets take a more indepth look at what your saying here can you do us a favor and answer us these questions before we move on.

1. What is the skill level of the opponents you are facing in the Round Robin.

2. What is the skill level of the people who beat you in the actual play.

3. What kind of style do you use when playing, and do you change it up.

4. Do you have any problems with just their particular character.

5. What time is it right now... I dont know it just seemed like i needed five

greenblob

Smash Lord
I'm going to take a stab at a guess: you learned advanced techniques relatively early in your smash career and skipped the beginner stage. As a result, although you know what to do at the intermediate level, you've never seen things like roll-spamming, platform camping, repeated dash attacks, c-stick spamming in place, etc. because after the beginner stage, no one uses them (as much anyway). Well, since you play Falco, I recommend SHLing excessively, which usually works on beginners quite well.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
I know how you feel man
that happends to me

really all I can say is
focus on the fight
learn your opponet fast
don't sandbag
if your better than them then focas should let you win

Top Bottom