• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate Norfair and Port Town Aero Dive

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
Norfair = No Fair...but seriously, it's really annoying. The lava is constantly getting big and high and the stage gets so small. You get knocked off into the lava so much...when the big wave comes there is so little time to get into the capsule, I still haven't managed to do it.

As for Port Town Aero Dive, well, I hate the weird post apoctalypic art style and the music, plus the design is lousy and the background is very distracting.

I'm an extreme casual player and they really annoy me..

Why are all 3 of Metroid's stages so annoying? Frigate flips and has killed me a few times, Norfair is the most irritating stage in the world and Brinstar isn't much better.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Woah dude, I'm kinda surprised to hear that. I like all the stages you mentioned.

Norfair: 7.5/10 (Looks great, great music, varying lava hazards, unique use of bunkers to hide in)

Port Town: 9.5/10 (Superb style, killer music, background that's interesting, improved design from Mute City)

PictoChat: 7/10 (simple look by design, great use of Wii music, weird and interesting)

Frigate Orpheon: 9.8/10 (Plain looking, but it strikes an great balance between being neutral and endagding. Also: Metroid Prime rocks.)

Blade42

Smash Apprentice
Norfair is a pretty decent stage, i have only played there a few times but i didnt really have any complaints.

Port Town is alright, i like its detail and other than the fact that i fell through the hole when the platform first touches the ground, i like it. Plus it has schweet f-zero music.

Pictochat...thats all haha

Frigate, finally a good metroid stage to play on. i dont mind the flipping of the stage as ive only died twice because of it, once cause i didnt jump and the other cause i taunted right before it flipped and then i fell to my doom

Gillenium

Smash Rookie
Don't be dissing Frigate Orpheon! That stage rocks.

Norfair is a bit decieving. You select it thinking "Hey, a medium stage! I'm going to fight on a medium stage!" but the stage shrinks so much because of the lava... I like the challenge every now and then, but sometimes I want to play a MEDIUM STAGE!

Aero Dive is an upgraded Mute City... what's not to like? Pictochat is super-fun! You never know what you're going to get!

D00D64

Smash Cadet
Pictochat kicks ***. Norfair I must agree with mostly though; it's okay, but a bit annoying. I have yet to play the other two (Don't own it, played at friends, getting for B-Day, as if anyone cares).

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I find Norfair annoying. Pictochat and Brinstar are fun for me. Listen to kin3tic. If the stages still annoy you then I understand but Pictochat is just awesome.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
All of them are fine and fun (with the posible exception of Port City for the insta-death at 20% cars)

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
Try playing the game just to have fun.

Like, actually TRY to have fun when you play.
I do. Norfair and Port Town Aero Dive are not fun.

Also, after a bit more playing I find I like PTAD a little better (I don't die every time, yay) and like Norfair a little less...

Oh, and I actually really like the PictoChat stage now. It's pretty fun :)

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I have to agree. Norfair is rather aggravating no matter the person. This is why we play the other levels with meaningless distractions that are not as annoying such as The Pirate Ship, Pokemon Stadium, and PICTOCHAT!

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Don't be dissing Frigate Orpheon! That stage rocks.

Norfair is a bit decieving. You select it thinking "Hey, a medium stage! I'm going to fight on a medium stage!" but the stage shrinks so much because of the lava... I like the challenge every now and then, but sometimes I want to play a MEDIUM STAGE!

Aero Dive is an upgraded Mute City... what's not to like? Pictochat is super-fun! You never know what you're going to get!
Frigate sucks. One of the sides of the stage doesn't have an edge, despite looking like it does. Random flipping doesn't help it.

Norfair is horrible. I hate the lava. It makes it less fun to play this game. Thus, I avoid this stage.

Mute City was so much better. The cars didn't distract nearly as much. I'm more scared of the cars than Ike's fsmash. It also didn't have as many random drop deaths.

Pictochat's fun.

both stages are fine you just suck and can't defend yourself with the many hazards in the game.

nofair may be nofair but you still can't say it's not fun
Watch me. "Norfair sucks *** and is not fun."

Try playing the game just to have fun.

Like, actually TRY to have fun when you play.
If I have to try to have fun while playing these stages, they aren't fun. I'm not trying to have fun while playing other stages, I'm having fun.

Rovec

Smash Rookie
To each their own I suppose. For me, the stages like Norfair are some of the most exciting. Sure, it sucks when ya get blown away by lava when you weren't expecting it, but I like the added depth of having to fight the environment and the other players.

RiKu.757

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I don't like about Port Town is being K.O.'d by a car @ 68%. If I'm playing 4 fun, I could care less. I really don't see the problem with Norfair. To me it seems like another version of Brinstar. Some characters are going to benefit from the stage better than others.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
You can shield the huge lava wave, there's no need to go into the little safehouse. You can, but if you're too far or don't think you'll win the fight to get in, stay away and shield when the lave comes down.

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
You can shield the huge lava wave, there's no need to go into the little safehouse. You can, but if you're too far or don't think you'll win the fight to get in, stay away and shield when the lave comes down.
You can also jump right over it from the top platforms.

Honestly, I didn't like Norfair at first either. It seemed like whoever didn't get in the capsule was screwed but that's really not the case at all. The lava isn't too powerful, either, so it's not going to KO you at low percents or anything.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In Melee, those F-Zero racers couldn't take you out even at 300% damage. In Brawl, they're instant KOers, so it's VERY important to watch out for them there.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Frigate is part of my top 5 favorite stages for Brawl.

Yes, I die on there...a lot. But I think it's hilarious.

Lukar82394

Smash Rookie
Norfair: Awesome Metroid stage. When I first saw it on the Dojo, I thought, "Sakurai, you've ruined Metroid." But when I played on it... Boy, was I wrong! xD

Frigate Orpheon: Meh, it's not that good of a stage. I like how they put in the Parasite Queen and how the power goes out after awhile, but the place never flips in Metroid Prime. (Unless you're talking about when it's crashing, hehe) I would've had the place be destroyed by the Queen instead of it going all upside-down.

Port Town Aero Dive: Okay, this is one of the best stages. Yes, the F-Zero cars can be a bit annoying (You could destroy them in Melee, though, and I'm pretty sure you can in Brawl, too), but besides that, it's an awesome stage.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I like Port Town because it reminds me of levels in F-Zero GX.
I wonder why.

Anyway, how can you hate Port Town? It's got great music, it looks awesome, and imo it's a fun, well-made stage.

Norfair on the other hand, bugs me. I prefer Frigate O.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
I love Port Town. Great art style and awesome music. The only thing I don't like is the F-Zero machines killing you at like 60%. They were much nicer in Melee's Mute City...

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Personally I like both stages. Port Town is one of my favorites for the music and the layout. Sure the F-zero machines are really powerful but generally you can see them coming this time and can stay out of their way pretty well barring getting knocked into them.

disguy

Smash Cadet
Port Town is one of my favorites for the music alone (love the new mute city remix). I barely get to play on it though since my friends dislike playing on the stage because of the layout and the cars of death.

Top Bottom