• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I guess it's time to introduce myself!

~Rina

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamanthaTilde
3DS FC
3007-8085-7777
I joined Smashboards back in July and then promptly didn't read or post anything for several months. I figure it's time to fix that!

So uh, hello! I've played Smash Bros since I was a little girl, but I only discovered the competitive scene this year. I'm still learning the games and working out what characters suit my play style. Currently I main Jigglypuff (Melee, PM, 3DS/Wii U), Game & Watch (PM), and Sheik (3DS/Wii U).

It's sort of funny that I didn't find the competitive Smash scene until I'd moved out of NJ and to South Australia, where the Smash scene is still very small. For that reason, I'm really passionate about community building and introducing new people to the scene.

Outside of Smash, I'm a software developer. But I also have a lot of other hobbies like D&D, board games, baking, photography and graphic design. I like to keep busy!

Anyway, I joined Smashboards to learn more about the games and to connect more with the community that I've already grown to love. So it's nice to finally meet all of you!~

~Rina

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamanthaTilde
3DS FC
3007-8085-7777
Nice to meet you too, Aeon! I see you're a Link main. I actually play against a Link main all the time, and I almost always lose, haha. Any advice on how to counter him better?~

AeonXero

Smash Rookie
Smother him. Link is all about spacing and set ups with his tools. If you're able to control the stage, push the pace, and back him into situations he's not comfortable in, then you can really hurt his play. Every Link main is different, but we all HAVE to depend on our projectiles, so characters with Reflectors are good to utilize.

I see you use Sheik for Sm4sh, that's good. Sheik is fast enough to pressure Link into situations that are less-than-ideal.

Good Link mains also HAVE to mix up their approach game, due to Link's mediocre to poor ground speed.

And finally, find habits of the person you're playing. A common one for Link mains is: d-throw bomb + dair. You can roll and then punish when Link comes down, especially in Sm4sh due to rolls being faster.

Sorry, it's a lot of info, but I hope it helped.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Welcome to SWF Rina!

Have you accepted the word of El yet? The word of El speaks of the last knight of the house of El who will save from corruption and the heretics. It is said that if you accept Him, you will be saved from this earthly plane. So accept Superman as your eternal lord and savior and you may join Him in the Sun.

Nice to meet you too, Aeon! I see you're a Link main. I actually play against a Link main all the time, and I almost always lose, haha. Any advice on how to counter him better?~
You pick Ganon and you crush him beneath your boot.

~Rina

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamanthaTilde
3DS FC
3007-8085-7777
Sorry, it's a lot of info, but I hope it helped.
Oh don't apologize, that's all fantastic advice! My Puff really struggles against his Link. Our play styles both tend to slow the game down a fair bit, but his projectiles let him dominate much more of the space than Puff can. I might just have to pick up another character to deal with him, haha.

You pick Ganon and you crush him beneath your boot.
Thanks for the warm welcome! But I don't know about picking Ganon. No spoilers but I've heard Link v. Ganon rarely ends well for him. ;P

AeonXero

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with Puff, but it should work the same. Use her superior air game to work around Link's projectiles and gimp him off the edge. You can punish him with rest, but it'll take a bit of practice.

MushroomManiac

Smash Cadet
NNID
AndresGP
3DS FC
4425-1475-8736
Welcome to the Smash Boards!

Jiggly's air game is amazingly good. It's few of the characters that give me a hard time because most others like the ground very much and stick to it, lol.

AeonXero

Smash Rookie
Another bit of advice: If you have a way of recording your matches with your friend, you should. That way, you can go back and study your habits and adjust accordingly. Also study your friend's habits, too. :)

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I remember you from a few years back. We faced each other in an online tourney. Hope all is well.

Random shout out.
I remember you. Your name and avatar are still the same. Same to you man.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I remember you. Your name and avatar are still the same. Same to you man.
Yup, I was out of the country for a couple years doing missionary work. Nice to see you're still around.

Btw, welcome to the boards Rina.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here.

~Rina

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamanthaTilde
3DS FC
3007-8085-7777
Aw, thanks everybody! You're all so lovely and welcoming!~

Another bit of advice: If you have a way of recording your matches with your friend, you should. That way, you can go back and study your habits and adjust accordingly. Also study your friend's habits, too. :)
I'll try to do that! The weekly Smash event in Adelaide usually has a recording and streaming setup going, so I'll bug the streamer for some play time until I can afford my own setup (I already have a cheap recorder but my laptop is rubbish ;~; ). Once I get a couple decent games recorded, I'll post them for feedback. :3

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Oh don't apologize, that's all fantastic advice! My Puff really struggles against his Link. Our play styles both tend to slow the game down a fair bit, but his projectiles let him dominate much more of the space than Puff can. I might just have to pick up another character to deal with him, haha.

Thanks for the warm welcome! But I don't know about picking Ganon. No spoilers but I've heard Link v. Ganon rarely ends well for him. ;P
Yo, welcome to the boards~

Also I main Jiggs, and Jiggs CAN deal with Link- here's why

Her air game is fantastic. If you can jump -> airdodge the boomerang, they will likely start charging up an arrow. So you come down on them with a fair or nair. Follow that up with a ftilt and you got him off the stage, most likely, as Links mostly set up camp near the edge. Dair is often a good option for some damage once they're off the edge, but basically Jigg's game against Link is all about dodging the boomerang, because his arrows won't be able to hit her.

Also a few rising fairs is all it takes to make Link unable to recover due to his subpar recovery.

You can do it!

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Yup, I was out of the country for a couple years doing missionary work. Nice to see you're still around.

Btw, welcome to the boards Rina.
Missionary work? That's pretty impressive man. Thanks. Been in and out of SWF trying to take care of my schooling.

Brocolli123

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6887-1972
I joined Smashboards back in July and then promptly didn't read or post anything for several months. I figure it's time to fix that!

So uh, hello! I've played Smash Bros since I was a little girl, but I only discovered the competitive scene this year. I'm still learning the games and working out what characters suit my play style. Currently I main Jigglypuff (Melee, PM, 3DS/Wii U), Game & Watch (PM), and Sheik (3DS/Wii U).

It's sort of funny that I didn't find the competitive Smash scene until I'd moved out of NJ and to South Australia, where the Smash scene is still very small. For that reason, I'm really passionate about community building and introducing new people to the scene.

Outside of Smash, I'm a software developer. But I also have a lot of other hobbies like D&D, board games, baking, photography and graphic design. I like to keep busy!

Anyway, I joined Smashboards to learn more about the games and to connect more with the community that I've already grown to love. So it's nice to finally meet all of you!~
you seem like a cool person. I'm not the best but my fc is 4897-6887-1972, I would be glad to play against anyone who isn't spamming ranged attacks or using nooby characters (3ds)

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Missionary work? That's pretty impressive man. Thanks. Been in and out of SWF trying to take care of my schooling.
Thank you. It was a wonderful experience/adventure. That's great, priorities first. Hope it's going well. We need to have some matches sometime in the future once I get Smash Wii U.

Top Bottom