• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I guess I play Roy now. Critique please

Smash Master
I need to get all the Marth out of my Roy. Please help me do that. Also, I know I spam counter way too much, but Roy's kinda KO ********, so if someone could point out what I should be doing instead of counter, that would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-PmPq-VOyQ

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Instead of countering, you could just crouch cancel or shield...that way if they don't attack you don't get *****, and if they do you're still safe. Of course its fun and sometimes effective to throw some counters out, but if they start baiting them, you could get ***** for it.
Too many running attacks...roy's isn't as useful as marth's. Too much lag on it. Less charged forward smashes, also.
Down throw more. If they DI bad, its a free fsmash.
Dtilt more. Its roy's bread and butter combo starter.
Dash dance to DED is also very very nice. If spaced correctly, they can't shield grab the first two hits, so throw out the first 1-2, and if it hits, continue on to the third swipe...if they shield, punish their whiffed grab (if they try), or try to grab them out of their shield if they panic and just sit there, or if they roll chase them down with grabs/more DED.

Roy is a little limited in the KO section. You'll rarely kill your opponent when their at less than 90%, unless you gimp them at the ledge. I'd say use more flare blade for edgeguarding, but that doesn't really work on pikachu =/ You want to be looking for fsmash/third swipe of DED/dsmash(which will kill most chars at a little over 100%) for the straight up kills or edgeguard kill setups. Pretty much everything until then is just racking up damage.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
better than mine i'll tell you that much

but that's not saying much

anyways, gotta use way more mindgames...i mean i saw none

and less uairs...you can't juggle with it, nair is a great move for roy

Smash Master
dtilt to what? I don't know any dtilt combos except dtilt -fair- fsmash, and that only works on spacies and Captain Falcon.

I'll DED more now. Thanks.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
Dtilt to nair works well. Repeat as needed.

Like Marth's dancing sword, the DED has no sweet spot so you don't have to be as compared to your other moves.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Nice match!

Is DED really that relevant when you're playing Pikachu? It's always a useful move, but spamming or even overusing isn't beneficial to every match-up. Pikachu isn't the kind of character who directly approaches you, so DED probably isn't as useful as say, f-air, especially on a triple-platform stage.

Remember that d-tilts have sweetspots just like his aerials. If you hit at the tip of his sword it sends the opponent much lower which makes either d-tilt/n-air chains or d-tilt/f-air chains (f-air works better on Pikachu because he falls moderately slow) with much more ease. Non-sweetspotted d-tilts combo even at fairly high percentages. When you sweetspot it, Pikachu is kinda light so it's harder.

D-tilt/f-air/f-smash or f-tilt (less lag, still has good knockback) does work on him at lower percentages if he DI's wrong. At around 50% you probably want to just watch their DI and maybe get a free grab. When they're all beat up and you sweetspot it, they'll get sent too far away to combo them, but CC to d-tilt is still a great defensive strategy.

Against spacies you can solidly chain d-tilts to n-airs. Unfortunately Pikachu isn't as easy to combo as they are.

Pikachu's recovery pwns you, as it's much farther than yours and is hell to edgeguard. Battlefield was an unlucky random. If his percent is over 120% and he won't die, don't be afraid to d-smash. Of course you'll be punished if you miss, but it is easier to KO him vertically at Battlefield.

There's really only one thing about your general playstyle that hasn't been commented on already. You might want to practice l-cancelling a bit more with him. I couldn't tell if you missed them or just didn't exactly know what you were going to do after, but I noticed that at the end of some SHFFLs you lag a bit. Roy's f-air and n-air don't have much lag, so you should be able to jump out of them much faster if you l-cancel correctly.

Smash Master
Thanks. L-Cancelling does come naturally to me, but I do have slow fingers, so my transition from one move to another probably isn't as good as like, say a proficient Roy, but I think that'll come with experience. I just started playing him because I'm trying to explore a new main.

Milos

Smash Lord
better than mine i'll tell you that much

but that's not saying much

anyways, gotta use way more mindgames...i mean i saw none

and less uairs...you can't juggle with it, nair is a great move for roy
You CAN juggle with uair.... mainly if they're on a platform above you though, makes it easier cause you can tech chase if they do that. with out a platform you can shffl uair tipper and if you time it well you can get off a f-smash midblade. use more DED. but yeah good work, you seem to be adapting to Roy's style well.

Smash Master
Thanks. I played the same matchup with Marth and did worse, Lol. Roy>Marth uberhaxlolpwnbbqleetspam

FraJILeSoul

Smash Apprentice
yeah,just keep elevating and work on more advance techs.Remeber,Flare Blade is your aerial friend.It has way too muchrange and proirity to not be used.(lol)Try to also predict the movements of your opp with annoying recoveries,just dont stand there.Make them nervous by dashdancing,going in between platforms,wavedashing,etc.When your moving it an active manner,not only does it keep you prepared,it also keeps your enemies on their toes.Good luck...

Smash Master
I've gotten a bit better since then. I still hate stages with platforms though.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Personally, I love platforms. Its really easy to dtilt, then fair/nair onto a platform, and follow up with a grab/dtilt/fsmash.

Smash Master
I just hate platforms in general. They screw up my aerial game. Like I said, I have slow fingers, so if I aerial from the ground to a platform, chances are I'll miss my L-Cancel, and then it'll take me forever to get down from there.

Milos

Smash Lord
A few tricks you can use with platforms as Roy is to shffl through them. you can rack up good damage and follow their techs. Also, Wavedash/land off a platform into nair or fair, but that's more for zoning, or approaching after a lost life.

Paxz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xyxura
Remember is Roy you are using not marth, more down tilt, more f-smash, less counter, neutral air is also good, practice the edge guarging and dont use dash attacks too much, keep practicing man.

Top Bottom