• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I feel like talking about the rob matchup.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Okay, I just played a ROB player via WiFi, the guy was in the same state as me, so the input lag was tolerable. First time I've played a good ROB player in a LONG time. But, let's discuss some issues. Nair is lagless, no joke. If he spaces this well, you can't shieldgrab, nothing OoS (For Wolf) will get him. Spotdodges are pointless as well, ROB's dtilt absolutely ***** spotdodges, you actually have to predict what he's gonna do after the Nair... that's stupid >_> There's also Bair, Bair is also very very difficult to punish. Though you can get him with a blaster if you see it coming, that thing came in handy. You can also punish him with a Fsmash if you time it right/you're close enough. You have to be spaced right, otherwise it won't hit, and it has to be timed right, otherwise you get hit either way.

Uhm...the other thing was on the ledge. I felt so screwed on the ledge. There's the Gyro + Rob's Uair and his Bair >_> I mean, that covers basically every option... getting back up on the ledge is a pain in the butt. But, on the flip side, the ROB player seemed to have a pain getting back up against me, whether it's me or Wolf who knows, but yeah. That reminds me: Blaster against people on the ledge is amazing, just keep on spamming that at a roll distance away from the ledge. It will almost always force a jump, and from there you can just read them and punish.

What else... if they have a gyro in hand and they're shielding, expect a glide toss, but that should be basic haha. Oh yeah, Shine doesn't work against Rob's Nair. The jet stream from Nair is too large. You either wait and get hit, or do it early and get hit. Lose-lose situation. The only way to stop Nair with shine is to get it before it comes out. Don't airdodge against ROB, just wait for the Nair, then airdodge. And ROB's projectiles are rather annoying, so learn to predict them, and use reflector or something.

That's about all I have... other than that I admire people who can play really well, read people, space perfectly, while being aggressive.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
-don't shield the nair. Run back a little so the nair misses, then f-smash once he lands.
-don't spotdodge. Run backwards instead

-on the ledge, learn to blaster plank the rob. Once he gets near the ledge, he will be expecting a ledge hop blaster. Instead just jump behind him and back air him which will push him on the ledge. He will shield since he will be expecting the ledgehop blaster. Once u have him on the ledge, he's the one that is in trouble caz his ledge options are all punishable. If he shoots the gyro near the ledge while ur on the ledge, jumpshine the gyro away.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
Ah this is where I can actually come useful <_<

I'm gonna post with a ROB main perspective, although I play Wolf just as much.

Your F-smash is a pain, it can punish almost any attack we miss. Be careful for our spotdodge though or you'll get a D-Smash in the face.

Believe me that your blaster is much more annoying than you think, it's a pain when we're offstage since we're so big and we cannot dodge while using the burner.

Your Bair has a tiny bit more range than our Fair, so try to expoit that.

Use Fair a lot in this match, it's quick and disjointed and it'll keep ROB from using slow aerials like Nair too much.

STAY ON THE STAGE! I cannot stress this enough, if you go offstage for whatever reason, you're screwed. As simple as that.

I have to disagree on:
ArcPoint said:
if they have a gyro in hand and they're shielding, expect a glide toss
That' exactly what everyone thinks and it's so easy to glidtoss downwards and F-smash/D-smash/Ftilt you, it's ********. The gyro is not that fast and you should be able to dodge it ONCE you see it's coming at you.

I don't know what to say about our Bair, it has a lasting and deceptive hitbox, it's disjointed, it auto spaces and it has near no landing lag.

We both have problems killing, but ROB could probably get the kill sooner from a gimp, so save that D-smash for the kill.

If you're gonna edgeguard, I suggest not trying to spike us if we have plenty of fuel, since any ROB should be familiar with Meteor Cancelling it and putting you in a bad possition.

if you're sent upward from a throw/tilt/smash wait for our Uair and shine, Uair does about 22% of damage and it's fast and high priority, you want to avoid that.

You can't do much about our laser since (in my experiance) we angle it when our opponent has a reflector to avoid getting it reflected back at us.

Don't go below the stage, it's just suicide.

I ussually edgeguard with laser and gyro to get you below the stage when you most likely will die, if you have mastered Flash Cancelling I suggest you use it above the stage.

Blaster all day, even if we can outcamp you we will still recieve a lot of blaster damage ourselves, since arm rotor sucks.

I'd say your best best is Juggling us, Wolf excedes at juggling and we have a massive weak point below us; so U-smash and U-tilt are your pals, and Fair and Uair are your best friends here.

Thats all I have to say, I hope it helped you somehow.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
It's really hard for ROB to gimp wolf as long as the wolf saves his double jump.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Eh, I didn't get gimped much. The problem wasn't getting to the ledge, the problem was getting to the stage from the ledge.

And I wouldn't agree with blaster camping.. but you should definitely abuse it.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
All I can think of is, spam retreating fair all day ._. But juggling and saving your double jump are two very good ideas, recovering requires that jump and as Pad said, there is a massive blind spot right below ROB, exploit it.

:059:

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
It's really hard for ROB to gimp wolf as long as the wolf saves his double jump.
It's not that hard if ROB reads you correctly. Wolf's aerial jump gives him near to no height and a simple Fair can interrupt it before you get anywhere.

I'm not saying it's not imperative for recovery, but it's not like Wolf's second jump is so awesome either. Saving your double jump for recovery aplies to any character.

ArcPoint said:
Eh, I didn't get gimped much. The problem wasn't getting to the ledge, the problem was getting to the stage from the ledge.

And I wouldn't agree with blaster camping.. but you should definitely abuse it.
You were playing on Wi.Fi, I have a really hard time gimping on Wif as ROB.

Also I don't see why you had problems getting from the ledge to the stage, there's plenty of thing you can do.

And I'm not a fan of spamming blaster either, but thats not gonna stop any ROB from camping the **** out of you, so if you're playing to win there's no place for such niceties.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
when u get hit off stage, side B immediately. if he fairs ur side B, jump immediately. He will still be in his fairing animation and therefore can't gimp u. The way he gimps u is if ur hit off stage and he fairs ur double jump to begin with. Then he can fair ur side b/up b freely. If u side b first, and he fairs it, u can jump before the fair ending animation ends and you won't get gimped.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
Sure, it might work the first time.

Do it a second time and he can either:
a) Wait for you to land and hit you back away.
b) Edgehog you.

So believe me, you find ways to get around ROB's edgeguard, ROBs find ways to get around you avoiding his edgeguard.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Sure, it might work the first time.

Do it a second time and he can either:
a) Wait for you to land and hit you back away.
b) Edgehog you.

So believe me, you find ways to get around ROB's edgeguard, ROBs find ways to get around you avoiding his edgeguard.
and I'll find ways around their ways. it's a never ending cycle. There is always a way to make it back onto the stage with wolf. If rob gets u off the stage, it isn't absolutely impossible to get back on.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
Meh, if we're gonna powershield everything then we can punish everything.

Also you'd be amazed at how hard is to get around a good edgeguarding ROB, Wolf doesn't exactly have many recovering options if he doesn't know how to Flash Cancel.

Perhaps you're not completely screwed like I said before, but it is recomendable to stay on stage.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
ROB's a toughy.

Getting gimped isn't a problem as much as the recovery being punished.
Approaching a ROB seems impossible at times and outcamping a ROB takes a blaster artist of a wolf.
Dsmash finishing is hard when the ROB decides to go aerial too T_T

Edit: Castor, do you really think blaster planking a ROB would really be that good of an idea? There's gyros and lasers and I doubt being off stage is the best strategy verse someone like a ROB.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The best strategy against ROB is always to get him above you. He has an extremely abusable spot below him, even more than Marth IMO. Wolfs uair easily beats his Nair/Dair as it is a lot faster and has unexpected amounts of range vertically. You can just keep him in the air by jumping slightly below him and waiting for the airdodge or an attack. If he attacks you you can just uair him in his start-up animation...if he airdodges just wait for the lag and uair him (or utilt/usmash if you're already back on the ground)). Either way it should be easy to reset the trap and keep him in the air for a while dealing damage. This is one of the match-up's where Wolfs uthrow is actually useful...probably more so than any other throw. I also love to take ROB to Halberd, since juggling is so easy and the lower ceiling helps Wolf a lot more than ROB.

:059:

castorpollux

Smash Champion
ROB's a toughy.

Getting gimped isn't a problem as much as the recovery being punished.
Approaching a ROB seems impossible at times and outcamping a ROB takes a blaster artist of a wolf.
Dsmash finishing is hard when the ROB decides to go aerial too T_T

Edit: Castor, do you really think blaster planking a ROB would really be that good of an idea? There's gyros and lasers and I doubt being off stage is the best strategy verse someone like a ROB.
The main point of blaster planking is to get back onto the stage, not to use for 7 minutes in a match.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Ugh...I hate this matchup. ROB's spotdodge is GODLY. I got punished alot in my last match because of that...usually by a dsmash.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
Heres matches of me vs robs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNAUAnUr6i0&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6jZg6d1ceQ&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdYuCDphB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYE8N32eHtc&feature=related

Heres me losing to rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7tbXRzu_I&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF2lmuBEvf8&feature=channel

All these people are really good,the people that i beat were the best this guy that i lost to wasnt as good as them its just i sandbagged a bit and i havent used wolf in a while till that day.

ChitownWolf

Smash Cadet
I think the R.O.B matchuo is 60:40 Wolf. R.O.B. pretty much has no answer against back air.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
well....this probably has no advantage but its just a thought...

the wolf flash i think is a pretty good move to use on ROB n the air...but when ur sent off stage...do u think its possible to illusion-cancel to avoid attacks??

Top Bottom