• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I downsmash too much...

O Rly?

Smash Cadet
...Is that bad? I notice it clips a lot of spot-dodgers and isn't as highly-punishable as certain other smashes if flubbed (cough upsmash)

I've been playing long enough to realize I need to rely on his aerial game more than his ground, but to me, it just seems that downsmash is really, really effective on the offensive after landing, especially since it sets up for juggles or an up-air (if they don't die outright, at higher damages.)

Uh... yeah. Opinions on it? Is the spot-dodging punishment my imagination or is it fortuitous that I have a bad reaction time? I can't tell which.

N64

Smash Champion
I downsmashed a lot too. Then i started getting shieldgrabbed a lot by people i played and laid back on it a little. Dsmash is useful against spot-dodgers and it can eat through a surprising number of approaches, but it's easily shieldgrabbable and can be punished if they outrange it in time. It's not a spammable move, but it does have good uses if used occasionally.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
That's what I call the super recovery. I use it to my advantage when done on me, it only does it if the opponent air recovers right away in the process of DIing.

O Rly?

Smash Cadet
Super recovery? Super saiyan floating thing? I'm sorry, I don't quite follow.

Also, yes, nair to downsmash *is* loads of fun. Helped me kill a decent 'Dorf a few times when he handed my entrails to me on a plate when I used my Peach.

Top Bottom