• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't understand why most professional players consider Shiek top 1-3.

AQUAMARINE

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2681-1552-6193
Shiek's great. Her aerials are amazing frame data wise. Probably best in the game. However, I she lacks damage. Ftiltx3 - Fair - Fair, seemingly impressive combo, but minuscule damage. Smack a mofo and keep stage presence all match, and then notice you only have 60% dmg on them. Sure, bouncing fish is great, and if it wasn't for that- well things would be different. My point, she can't kill. Heck, look at 2015 Apex matches with Shiek. Matches going on to 150-180%. Factor in rage effect to your opponent too. While she does have "kill" potential, I feel like all of these kills are predictable setups- easy to avoid if you're on point.

Thoughts?
Don't get me wrong, I think she's top 10 even top 5 maybe but from what I've heard, many known professional smashers consider her #1 or #2.

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Well let me ask you first who do you think is top 1-3? With that question in mind let me move on to why I think she is and why most people probably think she is.

First off get it out of your mind she has no kill power, she has a decent few options. She has true combos that kill as early as 80-90 (dtilt tipper>dj u-air, or aerial needles offstage>BF, I've netted gimps at 60 with that true combo) sure those are insanely hard to pull off against skilled players, but even then she's not meant to be a character who kills via kill power. She's a gimper, meaning she denies your recovery and lets you fall to your death. And she has the tools to do this insanely effectively as you said, she has amazing aerials and a wonderful recovery. Now with her being a gimp based character, it requires a lot more for her to be played effectively and at a high level so with that in mind I myself place her at number 3 on the list. Now lets move on to why others list her so well or at least why I think they do.

Alright so everything I've said so far plus the fact the game is new, so most people who make tier lists at this point factor in known possibilities or theoretical outcomes. We know she's capable of insane stuff and if you look at her options list she has at least twice the rest of the cast at this point in time (I mean hell look at the AT thread for her and stuff is still being discovered). With that in mind people tend to put her at #1 or #2 based on what could be, a theory sheik if you will (sorry I love that name, it brings so much hope.)

As to you mentioning apex matches going til' 150%-180% so what? She has insane combo potential and it honestly doesn't take that long or much to get there. also you've never mentioned neutral game, she has a wonderfully safe neutral game with several tools which make her super hard to deal with. For instance did you know needles come out on frame 11 (I think that was it, heck it's too fast to react to).

Now for my joke, and I'll quote an awesome slogan "It's not like I enjoy sheik being so popular". <-- I live by those words. :D

Slaudial

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0174-7067
Don't worry M2K will probably change his mind in a few months

Just wait for when he writes "Why I think Diddy Kong is underrated in Smash 4"

trilok

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is extremely versatile and has very many safe options. The only issue is that less skilled players have trouble chaining combos to kill or getting setups to kill because they lack the knowledge and precision/timing to optimally use all her tools. Sheik is a character that needs to be played very precisely and turns mediocre very quickly if you cant do that. As the metagame progresses and players achieve mastery over their characters, sheik probably will start winning more and more tournaments.
I would like to say that the general trend in fighting games/smash would be that characters with easy bread and butter combos to execute dominate the early metagame, but precise characters start winning more as time passes. You can see this as sm4sh diddy being like melee's sheik (with similar perception) and sm4sh sheik being like melee's fox/falco. If you don't know the history, sheik pretty much bodied people in the early meta and then spacies rose as people became more perfect and were able to utilize their character to better potentials.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
m2k lays it out pretty well in the above post by @ _Tree _Tree . I'd also disagree with your reasoning - she does minimal damage per attack, but has no issues racking up the damage through well-executed strings. Likewise, there are tons of set-ups for a kill - enough to make BF and bair (her two main KO options) far less than predictable.

The meta is still young, but I also implore you to consider, other than possibly Rosaluma and Diddy, who is better than Sheik? I think Sheik qualifies for top three by process of elimination.

xPaco

Smash Rookie
NNID
xoXxPACOxXox
3DS FC
0834-2213-5021
Yeah, there's no way she's #1 or 2. Diddy and Rosalina have practically claimed those spots.
I disagree with Rosalina. If you were to take out Luma, there is no way she is top tier. A S tier character has to be amazing consistently. That's basically saying that Nintendo can take out Luma, and she would still be amazing. Nope.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I disagree with Rosalina. If you were to take out Luma, there is no way she is top tier. A S tier character has to be amazing consistently. That's basically saying that Nintendo can take out Luma, and she would still be amazing. Nope.
Luma comes out after 13 seconds so I don't really get your post? Yeah, you can take out Luma. but there's only so much you can do in 13 seconds, especially against Rosalina which should always be zoning, spacing, and camping anyway.

Anyway, I believe the majority agree Diddy, Sheik, and Rosalina, in that order, are the top tiers at the moment.

xPaco

Smash Rookie
NNID
xoXxPACOxXox
3DS FC
0834-2213-5021
Luma comes out after 13 seconds so I don't really get your post? Yeah, you can take out Luma. but there's only so much you can do in 13 seconds, especially against Rosalina which should always be zoning, spacing, and camping anyway.

Anyway, I believe the majority agree Diddy, Sheik, and Rosalina, in that order, are the top tiers at the moment.
You can actually do a lot in 13 seconds.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
I think I'd rather trust the opinions of professional tourney-goers than someone who probably doesn't know all what Sheik can do.

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
- Really fast speed overall.
- She DOES have kill options, they're just not conventional like other characters. Yes it takes a little longer, but she can still kill at reasonnable percents. And most of the kills come from combos anyway. If you start the combo at 130, it doesn't matter if you land the kill move at 180, you still only have to set up the opponent at 130 to kill. She's also really good at gimping, and percents are somewhat irrelevant here. Just continue gimping until the opponent is dead.
- This means she has amazing gimping and combo potential.
- Pretty good recovery and good mobility overall.
- Moves come out fast.
- Her aerials are insane.
- She doesn't have a weakness. She's between ''good'' and ''excellent'' in every aspect.
- Projectiles are always a plus.
- Probably more things too.

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
If Sheik had more elaborate kill-options in neutral, she probably would be #1 honestly. But alas, she's unfortunately not Diddy.
Shiek is better than Diddy lol. Diddy is just brain dead ez to pick up unlike Shiek, so more players are using Diddy atm. When the game develops more, Shieks will dominate tourneys, not Diddys.

How many frames are in 13 seconds? Rosa is basically useless for those 13 seconds. 13 seconds is like a minute in a fighting game, even though it doesnt seem like much time. Its enough time to win.

Last edited:

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Shiek is better than Diddy lol. Diddy is just brain dead ez to pick up unlike Shiek, so more players are using Diddy atm. When the game develops more, Shieks will dominate tourneys, not Diddys.
True. Diddy is really good, and he's extremely easy to play. Sheik is a little better than Diddy, but she's A LOT harder to play right. Many players are not capable/willing to put that much effort for that little extra power, and that's why we see a lot more Diddys. Sheik also has a weird/unique mobility, and that might turn people off too; she doesn't move the same way Mario, Diddy, and other ''easier'' characters do.

Last edited:

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73

How many frames are in 13 seconds? Rosa is basically useless for those 13 seconds. 13 seconds is like a minute in a fighting game, even though it doesnt seem like much time. Its enough time to win.
Actually, Sheik isn't better than Diddy. She does take a lot of knowledge and skill to win games, but that doesn't mean Diddy is brain dead. He is easy to pick up, but he is difficult to master, like all characters.

Being good =/= being braindead.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Actually, Sheik isn't better than Diddy. She does take a lot of knowledge and skill to win games, but that doesn't mean Diddy is brain dead. He is easy to pick up, but he is difficult to master, like all characters.

Nope. Sorry my friend you are completely wrong in that regard. Diddy is relatively easier to pick up and master than a ton of characters. Not every character is " difficult to master" as much as people would love to believe so.

However this doesnt mean that theres no such thing as intelligent play with him because that is very false. Unless the character is down right absurd there will always be a complexity that a player must account for on their own. However, Diddy Kong doesn't add to that skill requirement in a large way at all.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Nope. Sorry my friend you are completely wrong in that regard. Diddy is relatively easier to pick up and master than a ton of characters. Not every character is " difficult to master" as much as people would love to believe so.

However this doesnt mean that theres no such thing as intelligent play with him because that is very false. Unless the character is down right absurd there will always be a complexity that a player must account for on their own. However, Diddy Kong doesn't add to that skill requirement in a large way at all.
Sorry, bud. I don't think you know what you're saying. First off, I'd bet that no character has yet to be mastered yet. In fact, I'd say that even though Diddy might be easier to use, he has tools that make his game a bit more complex than you'd think.

I do agree with you that there is intelligent play with him, but that intelligent play is part of mastering him.

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Well I'd like to say lets not let this continue any longer as this has gone a bit off topic... Not to mention look at the OPs date, this thread is over a month old and has been answered already. Should honestly be locked. Now that I've said my piece on that time to add to the conversation until it happens lol...

First off, I think sheik is definitely better than diddy she just takes a lot of incredibly smart plays/good combos due to how quick she dies. While it's true no one has mastered a character, certain people are technically masters at there characters already relative to everyone else. False and Mr. R come to mind for sheik. Diddy is quite a complex character when he's not just gunning for hoo-hahs, and even then have you ever thought how many different methods and setups there are for obtaining said grab combo? Just to name a few grab ATS:

Pivot Grab
JC Grab
RC Grab
Dash-Grab
Boost Grab

Those are only things which effect grab range/startup, just think about possible combos into it. I got to get a few friendlies in with Keith (diddy) a really smart/excellent player who is doing really well in sm4sh. And honestly while at times it felt like he wasn't doing much if I tried to analyze his choices It took a lot more than I expected and I would realize he was constantly mixing up his methods of grabbing, it was incredibly hard not to get grabbed.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720

Shiek is much better than Diddy. Her tools are objectively better than Diddy's. Her projectile is better, her aerials are better (with the exception of Diddy's Uair), her grounded options are better. Diddy has a lot of moves that require much more commitment than Shiek. Most of Shieks options are objectively very safe. Ontop of that, Shiek has good 50/50 mixups that can easily convert into kills with a good bait. Its not as braindead as Diddy's Uthrow to uair at 80-100% with a little rage, which makes Shiek look worse, but Shiek gets good work out of grabs too. IMO she gets better work out of grabs early game and racks up damage a lot easier. She can safely pressure shields and punish approaches with ease. She can gimp incredibly well, something that Diddy has a hard time doing (due to going off stage being incredibly dangerous for him), and she can set up fair, ftilt and utilt walls to block out opponents.
Ontop of that, her air speed is the best in the game (not counting Jump Shulk) so she can bob and weave outside of situations like no other.

Diddy may have a fair amount of ATs behind him, such as his momentum reversed monkeyflip crouch thing, his different grabs, banana tricks, and there's one I know of with his recovery that actually makes it pretty good- but Shiek has a lot of AT's behind her too. A lot of incredibly useful and insane AT's.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Shiek is much better than Diddy. Her tools are objectively better than Diddy's. Her projectile is better, her aerials are better (with the exception of Diddy's Uair), her grounded options are better. Diddy has a lot of moves that require much more commitment than Shiek. Most of Shieks options are objectively very safe. Ontop of that, Shiek has good 50/50 mixups that can easily convert into kills with a good bait. Its not as braindead as Diddy's Uthrow to uair at 80-100% with a little rage, which makes Shiek look worse, but Shiek gets good work out of grabs too. IMO she gets better work out of grabs early game and racks up damage a lot easier. She can safely pressure shields and punish approaches with ease. She can gimp incredibly well, something that Diddy has a hard time doing (due to going off stage being incredibly dangerous for him), and she can set up fair, ftilt and utilt walls to block out opponents.
Ontop of that, her air speed is the best in the game (not counting Jump Shulk) so she can bob and weave outside of situations like no other.

Diddy may have a fair amount of ATs behind him, such as his momentum reversed monkeyflip crouch thing, his different grabs, banana tricks, and there's one I know of with his recovery that actually makes it pretty good- but Shiek has a lot of AT's behind her too. A lot of incredibly useful and insane AT's.
I disagree with you on some of what you said. Their projectiles are different with different purposes, so I can't compare the two's projectiles. I do think that Diddy has better aerials, because they can be autocancelled easily and do more damage. However, after that, I agree with everything you said (besides Sheik's air speed, Sheik's is good but not the best). I think that although Sheik may take a bit more skill, Sheik and Diddy are equal right now. Maybe in a few months Sheik will be number one by a longshot with the continuation of ATs being discovered.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Zero will switch right over to Sheik once she is officially better than Diddy.

Last edited:

HarajukuNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
harajuku_ninja
3DS FC
3523-3461-8281
On the topic of Sheik vs Diddy, both ZeRo and M2K agree that Sheik is the best character in the game. The reason why most people go to Diddy is because he offers greater reward in a short amount of practice, while Sheik takes time and effort to get her to do what you want her to do. At first, I thought Diddy was better, but now I'm kinda at a loss. Both of them are notably better than the rest of the cast, so I can see why one would say Sheik is better than Diddy and vise-versa. Though I will say that there is probably some untapped potential in Sheik that we have to see since she's such a technical and well developed character.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
On the topic of Sheik vs Diddy, both ZeRo and M2K agree that Sheik is the best character in the game.
M2K's opinion isn't something you should be taking seriously. He said Ike is OP because he lost to Ally's in PM.

Also about ZeRo, watch this, skip to 4:47:45, where ZeRo literally says "If I play to win, I'll play Diddy, cuz I think he's the best character." That interview was from about a week or less ago.

so yeah... "x player said Sheik is the best!" is a really bad argument to use. As of RIGHT NOW AT THIS MOMENT Diddy is clearly better than Sheik because it has crazy damage output thanks to easy-to-do combos (hoo ha) and it has incredible kill power with F/U/Dsmash and all of its aerials, in addition to the banana mindgames which are pretty big, while also having a not-so-bad projectile. Let's stop with the "Sheik/Diddy is better than Diddy/Sheik" because its extremely pointless at the moment and literally proves nothing. It might be more obvious in the future (even though to me its kinda obvious now) but that's in the future; not now.

Last edited:

HarajukuNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
harajuku_ninja
3DS FC
3523-3461-8281
M2K's opinion isn't something you should be taking seriously. He said Ike is OP because he lost to Ally's in PM.

Also about ZeRo, watch this, skip to 4:47:45, where ZeRo literally says "If I play to win, I'll play Diddy, cuz I think he's the best character." That interview was from about a week or less ago.

so yeah... "x player said Sheik is the best!" is a really bad argument to use. As of RIGHT NOW AT THIS MOMENT Diddy is clearly better than Sheik because it has crazy damage output thanks to easy-to-do combos (hoo ha) and it has incredible kill power with F/U/Dsmash and all of its aerials, in addition to the banana mindgames which are pretty big, while also having a not-so-bad projectile. Let's stop with the "Sheik/Diddy is better than Diddy/Sheik" because its extremely pointless at the moment and literally proves nothing. It might be more obvious in the future (even though to me its kinda obvious now) but that's in the future; not now.
I wasn't trying to use them as an argument. I usually take whatever they say with a grain of salt or just disregard them. Like I said, I'm at loss about which is better, so I have nothing to argue about. I was only trying to point out that right now Diddy may seem like the best right now, but it may not be the case as the meta grows, just as you stated.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Sorry, bud. I don't think you know what you're saying. First off, I'd bet that no character has yet to be mastered yet. In fact, I'd say that even though Diddy might be easier to use, he has tools that make his game a bit more complex than you'd think.

I do agree with you that there is intelligent play with him, but that intelligent play is part of mastering him.

Yup, I definitely dont know what Im saying despite me teaching current top players right now the future of the metagame. You are absolutely right Creede.

What you have seen isnt mastery first off that part you are correct. Where you are wrong is the fact that his relative mastery is far lower than other characters around him whether you like it or not. And when I refer to intelligent play Im referring to a person have an amazing footsie game. That is independent of the character.

Lastly, we are in agreement if you are speaking about the totality of the character; that no character has been mastered. However, if we are going to take that route I could say that 10-15 years from now. No one will ever reach optimal play; speaking of mastery is useless to me and you. Just the same as people stating theres no such thing as random. Once that is understood theres no point of refuting the usage of the word because it is clearly a word based in a relativity. Same goes for this mastery. So before we get into that, you should probably define your definition of mastery.

Also improvement of the character doesnt translate to new ATs. People in smash need to stop associating that with their paradigm of deftness. Sheik is better than Diddy by solid amount. Her neutral is better, and her combo game is atrocious. Id say one of the sheiks whose really getting a grasp of her combo game potential is Void from Hawaii. The major thing about Sheik is that her edgeguarding game is amazing, yet the current metagame is very poor in that aspect. People arent breaking down recoveries nearly enough, which is essential for sheik imo. No AT is needed for sheik to transcend Diddy, its just proper utilization of her attributes. Also people's buffering at this point is kinda bad or they simply arent aware of how long certain moves remain hitconfirms into BF. fair still combos into it at kill percents provided buffer the dash and a perfect BF out of jump. So does meaty bair, meaty nair , and reverse nair ( can be meaty) which do so into mid to late 100s. People arent abusing tipper dtilt enough, as the hitstun on it is ridiculous in comparison to its other counterpart.

Also if you account for customs, her piercing needles are exponentially easier to combo BF with and any aerial really.

Last edited:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Well I'd like to say lets not let this continue any longer as this has gone a bit off topic... Not to mention look at the OPs date, this thread is over a month old and has been answered already. Should honestly be locked. Now that I've said my piece on that time to add to the conversation until it happens lol...

First off, I think sheik is definitely better than diddy she just takes a lot of incredibly smart plays/good combos due to how quick she dies. While it's true no one has mastered a character, certain people are technically masters at there characters already relative to everyone else. False and Mr. R come to mind for sheik. Diddy is quite a complex character when he's not just gunning for hoo-hahs, and even then have you ever thought how many different methods and setups there are for obtaining said grab combo? Just to name a few grab ATS:

Pivot Grab
JC Grab
RC Grab
Dash-Grab
Boost Grab

Those are only things which effect grab range/startup, just think about possible combos into it. I got to get a few friendlies in with Keith (diddy) a really smart/excellent player who is doing really well in sm4sh. And honestly while at times it felt like he wasn't doing much if I tried to analyze his choices It took a lot more than I expected and I would realize he was constantly mixing up his methods of grabbing, it was incredibly hard not to get grabbed.

Dude Diddys JC grab?!? RC grab? this doesnt even makes sense. RC and boost grab are nigh useless for Diddy. JC doesnt exist theres literally two grabs that matter for him dash grab and pivot grab. I would not categorize those 2 as ATs. That has more to do with Keith being better than you rather than Diddy Kong learning curve. These are universal things in which the majority of them he doesnt even need. Infact this would be more suitable to a counter argument than anything. If it was something such as say when I MM Mr. R at Apex, Game 5 he set me up into a position where needle> BF would cover the majority of my options and he nailed it perfectly, that would be something that accounts for player skill and character depth. Using multiple grabs is something every character uses at a high level and beyond. Has nothing to do with Diddy Kong's depth.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Yup, I definitely dont know what Im saying despite me teaching current top players right now the future of the metagame. You are absolutely right Creede.

What you have seen isnt mastery first off that part you are correct. Where you are wrong is the fact that his relative mastery is far lower than other characters around him whether you like it or not. And when I refer to intelligent play Im referring to a person have an amazing footsie game. That is independent of the character.

Lastly, we are in agreement if you are speaking about the totality of the character; that no character has been mastered. However, if we are going to take that route I could say that 10-15 years from now. No one will ever reach optimal play; speaking of mastery is useless to me and you. Just the same as people stating theres no such thing as random. Once that is understood theres no point of refuting the usage of the word because it is clearly a word based in a relativity. Same goes for this mastery. So before we get into that, you should probably define your definition of mastery.

Also improvement of the character doesnt translate to new ATs. People in smash need to stop associating that with their paradigm of deftness. Sheik is better than Diddy by solid amount. Her neutral is better, and her combo game is atrocious. Id say one of the sheiks whose really getting a grasp of her combo game potential is Void from Hawaii. The major thing about Sheik is that her edgeguarding game is amazing, yet the current metagame is very poor in that aspect. People arent breaking down recoveries nearly enough, which is essential for sheik imo. No AT is needed for sheik to transcend Diddy, its just proper utilization of her attributes. Also people's buffering at this point is kinda bad or they simply arent aware of how long certain moves remain hitconfirms into BF. fair still combos into it at kill percents provided buffer the dash and a perfect BF out of jump. So does meaty bair, meaty nair , and reverse nair ( can be meaty) which do so into mid to late 100s. People arent abusing tipper dtilt enough, as the hitstun on it is ridiculous in comparison to its other counterpart.

Also if you account for customs, her piercing needles are exponentially easier to combo BF with and any aerial really.
I'm not here to argue. I realize that you have superior knowledge of the game and the series in general. I agree with you that Diddy is easier to pick up than someone like Link or Samus. What I'm saying is that due to the options Diddy has, he is not the most brain-dead character because to master him you'll need to learn exactly how is tools work. Yes, he is easier to master than Sheik or Link, but no, that does not make him an easy character (speaking non-relativity).

(BUT, you did say that Diddy was easier to master than others, yet you also said that no character will be truly mastered. I'm not sure what you mean by that, so if you could explain how if no one will be mastered, than one is easier to master than another. Thanks)

One thing that I disagree with you on is that you don't count ATs as depth. ATs add to the mixups and options from a character, which in my mind = depth of a character.

I, personally, think that at this stage in the metagame, Sheik and Diddy are equal. Diddy just get's a lot more representation than Sheik because of the learning curve associated with Sheik (unless you're FOW and you think that you can just pick up Sheik and win a tournament. everybody's opinion differs I guess...)

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Gonna post once more here and then done, as this has gotten way out of hand and off topic.

I never said those Techs were useful for diddy, I simply mentioned them as they exist and one could use them if they so please . As Creede said they add mixup potential which is a variety of depth. I also have never mentioned learning curves in this entire thread so I have no idea where you're getting that from, unless by me mentioning people being relative masters at their characters you thought I was referencing learning curves in which case you're seriously dodging the point.

Now on to the point of why multiple grab options for diddy are a must, what do you see almost every diddy doing? Hoo-has, and why is that? Super strong option with great damage and puts the opponent into disadvantage while offering the ability to kill. So you'd be silly not to maximize your chances at grabbing and the safety of which you can get them, the reason I mentioned those techs was to cover the former of these. Saying "Using multiple grabs is something every character uses at a high level and beyond. Has nothing to do with Diddy Kong's depth." is kind of a blind statement, and I think you've got it backwards. The correct wording would go something like "Using multiple grabs is something every character uses at a high level and beyond. It adds immense depth to every characters shield pressuring game and neutral game.".

Sure Keith is way better than me, that's obvious as I only took 1 game off of 5, but in those few games we were constantly neck and neck and neither of us was trying super hard, we had just never had a chance to go at it yet and I wanted to try it out. Every time I did something I thought was impressive or a good choice I could see through peripheral vision him nodding is head as if he agreed with it. I mentioned him earlier only to add some context to my statements.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I'm not here to argue. I realize that you have superior knowledge of the game and the series in general. I agree with you that Diddy is easier to pick up than someone like Link or Samus. What I'm saying is that due to the options Diddy has, he is not the most brain-dead character because to master him you'll need to learn exactly how is tools work. Yes, he is easier to master than Sheik or Link, but no, that does not make him an easy character (speaking non-relativity).

(BUT, you did say that Diddy was easier to master than others, yet you also said that no character will be truly mastered. I'm not sure what you mean by that, so if you could explain how if no one will be mastered, than one is easier to master than another. Thanks)

One thing that I disagree with you on is that you don't count ATs as depth. ATs add to the mixups and options from a character, which in my mind = depth of a character.

I, personally, think that at this stage in the metagame, Sheik and Diddy are equal. Diddy just get's a lot more representation than Sheik because of the learning curve associated with Sheik (unless you're FOW and you think that you can just pick up Sheik and win a tournament. everybody's opinion differs I guess...)

Sorry if my statement was misleading my point is a lot of people perceive AT to be the quintessential thing in order to improve; which is not the case. They definitely add depth however more improvement is often found in optimization, better understanding of fundamentals etc. Unless the AT itself is extremely game changing.

On the mastery part I am referring to relative master as absolute mastery is semantics which was the crux of a paragraph in my last post. So in relative master Diddy is exponentially easier. He isnt a tech heavy character, his strengths are overall moveset being very strong and so its really about someone having good fundamentals and applying it to him. So I apologize if my last post seemed equivocal in that regard.

Lastly we are just having a discussion, theres no ill will on my end. In fact I think it is great that you have an opinion and are readily able to defend it and learn from any shortcomings ( which is something we should ALL be doing, as opposed to taking this at face value because someone said so or solely basing arguments off experiences). So I see this as nothing but positive for both of us and anyone reading. Hope that cleared up somethings on my end!

@ ?.? ?.? You reference mastery and skill in terms of using a character; Im going to take that as referencing learning curve. If thats different then let me know. Also one the ATs u mentioned doesnt exist in Smash4 and others ( in terms of diddy) do not alter grab range or speed except marginally. Why am I stating that? Because you were just speaking of playing Keith and how he had depth with his Diddy due to the different grabs u suppose he was using. Yes that hss nothing to with Diddy Kongs depth because a multitude of characters use far more grab techs that him. If we are speaking of a learning curve ( or depth or skill if thats ehat you wish to use) it but have a measuring stick. That would br other characters; now if most characters utilize those same grab techs if not more, does that mean Diddy Kong has more relative depth? No.

The thing that puzzles me the most is that you yourself just said 'what do diddy kongs always do? Hoo hahs.' How can u argue for Diddy Kongs relative depth and believe that statement? I dont even believe thats all a Diddy Kong is going for and yet im the one arguing against his relative depth. Diddy Kong should be utilizing their high priority pokes, strong aerial reversals and anti airs, as well as their stellar grab game. He has dthrow> fair and bthrow to set up edgeguards, dthrow> uair strings for damage and killing, dthrow> dair thats guarantees if the jump is buffered and their DI isnt perfect ( although with a buffered dash iy may be guaranteed either way), and then they have uthrow> uair which kills absurdly early and works on most if not all the cast at kill percent ( 50-110 dependiny on weight fall speed and rage ). So no hes not all hoo has, however that doesn't make him more complex relative to rest of the cast.

I dont see how that is dodging the point. Nor do I see this as getting out of hand. Slightly off topic yes but again this isnt a sleight to you. I simply disagree with your statements and Im telling you why. As well as telling you certain things you claim to exist simply dont in the game. There is no JC grab. I wish there was but there isnt.

Last edited:

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
In video games there is a way to describe your rankings on Sheik and Diddy.
Skill floor= the basic knowledge required to play a character correctly and decently effectively
Skill ceiling= the knowledge and skill required to play a character to their maximum potential

Sheik:
High/moderate skill floor and a very high skill ceiling

Diddy: Low skill floor and a moderate skill ceiling

Top Bottom