• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't understand for glory anti hype

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
Until I see proof otherwise for Smash 4, I'll disagree.
It wasn't pure neutral in Melee, it wasn't pure neutral in Brawl, and it won't be pure neutral in Smash 4. It benefits projectile users and hurts those who benefit from platform mixups. This isn't up for debate -- it's not a total neutral. It benefits many characters and hurts many characters.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Could have sworn there was a taunt limit of three times a life. Pretty sure ZeRo tried to taunt a ton but the buttons virtually stopped working after three. Until he died then he was able to do it three times again. There goes the taunt parties.
Welp :(

Inability to use custom moves is arguably worse than FD only. I'm hoping that both are addressed later on, but realistically I'm guessing Omega mode will always be all-FD.
Yeah. I'm overall very impressed with how viable the custom moves are. Definitely breathes some much-needed new life into the old characters, if nothing else.

It wasn't pure neutral in Melee, it wasn't pure neutral in Brawl, and it won't be pure neutral in Smash 4. It benefits projectile users and hurts those who benefit from platform mixups. This isn't up for debate -- it's not a total neutral. It benefits many characters and hurts many characters.
Assuming you're 100% correct, no stage could hope to be perfectly neutral for all types of characters at the same time. Just as it's always been. So... Who cares? From what I've seen, For Glory looks like a blast. I guess we'll see!

Last edited:

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
So... Who cares? From what I've seen, For Glory looks like a blast. I guess we'll see!
Competitive players care. No stage is a pure neutral, but Battlefield is the best balance. (Animal Crossing's stage in Brawl might be even better than a typical Battlefield design, actually. The point is that some platforms = good and variety = good.)

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Competitive players care. No stage is a pure neutral, but Battlefield is the best balance. (Animal Crossing's stage in Brawl might be even better than a typical Battlefield design, actually. The point is that some platforms = good and variety = good.)
Little Mac would loathe Battlefield much more than Smashville or Pokemon Stadium 1 OR Brawl Yoshi. Just because Battlefield was touted as the "best" stage in Melee does not give it carte blanche for all future games as well.

Even if Battlefield was still the best go-to stage, this is still For Glory, not For Major League Gaming. No one is going to use For Glory at tournies. This is an excellent skill-based random online matchmaker, which is all it has to be, and all it was meant to be.

Honestly, after running a competitive Pokemon XY online Gym Leader community for about 6 months, I can attest that pvp Friend Code battles are exciting, plentiful, available at all times of the day due to time zones, and help build lasting friendships. I still keep in touch with several of my old Pokemon buddies :)

For Glory is basically Battle Spot for Smash 3DS. I'd argue that it's still somewhat decent practice for tournament play if none of your acquaintences are available at the moment. Just like how most American people think the official Pokemon battle rules are often half-baked, and yet still manage to enjoy ranked random online and Worlds (official tournaments), so too Smashers should learn to enjoy the official stuff for what it is and save your perfect scenarios for With Friends and local wireless.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I don't like about For Glory is that now Sakurai thinks competitive smashers have all the stages we'll ever need. Look at Smash 3DS. 3 perfectly viable stages in all. THREE. One of them is pushing it.

Battlefield is a lot more neutral than Final Destination for that matter. I think Sakurai took the unfunny meme a bit too seriously
They probably decided to pick one stage and focus balancing around that. There are differences that give some characters advantages on bf that they don't have on fd. Like bowsers grab body slam move is bull**** on bf

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The only thing I don't like about For Glory is that now Sakurai thinks competitive smashers have all the stages we'll ever need. Look at Smash 3DS. 3 perfectly viable stages in all. THREE. One of them is pushing it.

Battlefield is a lot more neutral than Final Destination for that matter. I think Sakurai took the unfunny meme a bit too seriously
Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Tomodachi Life, Reset Bomb Forest, Arena Ferox...

You must really hate the cloud on Yoshi's Story if you hate any stage where anything happens at all.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I would have liked Battlefield versions of all the stages as well but For Glory is still pretty cool.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
They probably decided to pick one stage and focus balancing around that. There are differences that give some characters advantages on bf that they don't have on fd.
And vice versa.

Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Island, Tomodachi Life, Reset Bomb Forest, Arena Ferox...

You must really hate the cloud on Yoshi's Story if you hate any stage where anything happens at all.
Thank you ever so much for telling me what I hate.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052

Wasn't spirit tracks and paper mario also considered acceptable (at least for the early days play)? I could be missing something about the too though.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
And vice versa.
sure but if you pick one stage and focus on that one then any other stage will in theory be out of balance, if you balanced the game right. So it makes sense to stick with just one stage.

I'm also waiting for the smash community to accept that custom moves are not gonna work in tournament play. Link has a bow that does 100 damage in one shot

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
I'm also waiting for the smash community to accept that custom moves are not gonna work in tournament play. Link has a bow that does 100 damage in one shot
...Yeah, with equipment. I don't think anybody wants equipment.

Without equipment that custom move only does like 20 damage.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
sure but if you pick one stage and focus on that one then any other stage will in theory be out of balance, if you balanced the game right. So it makes sense to stick with just one stage.

Like Ekaru said, equipment, Silver Arrows do 20% max, so you are kind of being ignorant at the minute. Procede to try punching me across the internet if you feel offended by this post

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman

This is true.
But, I feel we must ask ourselves something, here...
Is it his fault for believing the meme?
Or is it our fault for giving the meme cause to exist in the first place?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
We hate for glory for similar reasons you hate for fun mode. We don't consider it a good competitive mode. We aren't really all that different if you think about it, you aren't giving for fun a chance, and similarly we won't give for fun or for glory a chance.

Last edited:

NavySage

Smash Rookie
Its as even a fight as you are going to get. All skill and matchup, which is how for glory should be.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I like the fact that they considered this mode at all! I see it as a very welcome edition, even if it's only Final Destination stages. The fact that they made a Final Destination version of every stage so that we're not constantly surrounded by the same visuals and music is beautiful too. I know I'd get sick of For Glory eventually if every single time was one stage and two songs, so I welcome it and I'm looking forward to playing and actually getting placed somewhere for how I play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom