• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't understand for glory anti hype

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
Dammit if the Japanese play flat stage in compedative there must be a decent and compedative "meta" around this

Edit: tired

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The flat Final Destination stages are totally fine, don't listen to what some people here say. I am going to play the hell out of For Glory in 7 days.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
People complain (a bit too much most of the times). It's just human nature that somehow the internet never fails to attract haha
Don't mind it too much, there are way more people excited for all of this, they're just not as vocal ^-^

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
The only thing I don't like about For Glory is that now Sakurai thinks competitive smashers have all the stages we'll ever need. Look at Smash 3DS. 3 perfectly viable stages in all. THREE. One of them is pushing it.

Battlefield is a lot more neutral than Final Destination for that matter. I think Sakurai took the unfunny meme a bit too seriously

Last edited:

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
I don't get it either. Wasn't it originally given praise at first? What happened?
Anyways, there are people out there who prefer Final Destination over other stages. Those stages provide an opportunity for those people to not hear the same music and see the same background over and over again.

Renji64

Smash Lord
For Glory seems alot of fun kinda sucks it is all FD and no BF in there at least. But at least it is something.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
The only thing I don't like about For Glory is that now Sakurai thinks competitive smashers have all the stages we'll ever need. Look at Smash 3DS. 3 perfectly viable stages in all. THREE. One of them is pushing it.

Battlefield is a lot more neutral than Final Destination for that matter. I think Sakurai took the unfunny meme a bit too seriously
Did Sakurai ever say that this mode was made for the competitive code? I think the reason for "For Glory" isn't to cater to the competitive community, but rather was made because the majority of matches of Brawl online was "No items, Fox only, Final Destination. And when the majority of people playing your game only play on one stage, you cater to that audience since the people who play Battlefield are the minority.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
While I kinda wish there a battlefield mode to go alongside, I'm not complaining. As long as I don't have to see the exact same stage every time I'm good.

As for the complaining, it's what people do. I can point out at least two people on these forums who literally do nothing but complain or try to bring people down to their depressing level.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Did Sakurai ever say that this mode was made for the competitive code? I think the reason for "For Glory" isn't to cater to the competitive community, but rather was made because the majority of matches of Brawl online was "No items, Fox only, Final Destination. And when the majority of people playing your game only play on one stage, you cater to that audience since the people who play Battlefield are the minority.
I thought most of online Brawl was All items, taunts only, Temple =P

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Some freaking platforms, whether static or moving in a predetermined non-murdering pattern changes the entire way you play without ruining the experience. There was no reason to make everything Final Destination only. I wonder how Sakurai resisted putting any creativity in the Omega Mode stages at all.

Regardless, For Glory mode itself is still better than nothing. I'm just happy to have a 1vs1 mode that uses stock mode. Time mode ruins the game.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Some people really like Battlefield, and that's fine, but personally from what I've seen, FD seems pretty darn balanced considering spacelasers got nerfed. A lot of the other projectile users look to me like they'd be HARDER to approach with platforms (Diddy, Duck Hunt).

CitizenSNIPS

Smash Cadet
How's the lag? I don't care too much about lack of stage variety as long as the lag isn't too bad. I'm probably going to play it all the time since practically none of my friends have a 3ds

D

Deleted member

How's the lag? I don't care too much about lack of stage variety as long as the lag isn't too bad. I'm probably going to play it all the time since practically none of my friends have a 3ds
most streams have said that the 1v1 online is generally good, as long as both players have a good connection

Ashpash

Smash Rookie
For glory being only FD is a bit upsetting, though at least some FD's have walls rather than ledges which offers some variety. I think the reason is just to give some consistency to For Glory mode (would've loved a Battlefield option though). All I know is that when I'm playing with my friends, online or local, we're using A LOT of the stages when playing 1v1 no items, 2-4 stocks etc. (except maybe those with Boss stage hazards, I'm looking at you Yellow Devil + Find Mii)

I don't see why certain maps like Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, 3D land or Yoshi's Island can't be considered for more competitive type matches between friends or strangers.

Paul the Octopus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-4913-3001
I'm heavily disappointed at the lack of team for glory mode where you can play with a friend (I don't have the game but I've heard this doesn't exist).

That would have been a super obvious and great addition.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
But they aren't really. Tournament wise it all depends on the character you use and who you play as. Especially in melee. The platforms on certain stages (yoshi island, Battlefield, dreamland, fountain of dreams) allowed primarily melee characters some relief from fox's(and falco's) constant laser blasts, because they are jumping and landing higher and lower constantly.

As the metachanges this changes and it seems FD is a lot more balanced since a lot of characters can counter projectiles very well, and a lot of projectiles seem to have been made to take into account the existence of platforms and uneven services.

We will have to see as more people get the game and play goes on though, who knows, maybe Sakurai will patch it to occasionally include battlefield.

But the main point is, against popular belief, FD is not the only competitive viable stage, though the 3ds version of this game doesn't seem to have very many viable stages. I haven't looked through them thoughtfully yet (only 4 scream completely undoubtably viable, but again I haven't been able to play the game yet and I'm going off what I've seen in videos and read).

Spirst

I thought most of online Brawl was All items, taunts only, Temple =P
It was like that for most of its life, but for the final stages before the online went out, it was on FD and had much better players (since many of the casuals stopped playing at this point).

I myself will definitely be playing For Glory very often. Every now and then, I'll visit For Fun and crash a few taunt parties, but then go back to For Glory.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
It was like that for most of its life, but for the final stages before the online went out, it was on FD and had much better players (since many of the casuals stopped playing at this point).

I myself will definitely be playing For Glory very often. Every now and then, I'll visit For Fun and crash a few taunt parties, but then go back to For Glory.
Palutena strip club matches will become a thing.

I predict it.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
I have come to smash boards only recently because I am so excited for sm4sh after being a lifelong smasher. I realize there are groups of people who enjoy just about every play style. For Glory is designed specifically for one type of play style, and I am one of the fortunate people who feels like this mode has been designed specifically for them. I can 100% understand the want for other stages but the reasons why it is the way it is should be apparent. Everybody will know the rules going in, there are no counter picks so minus the slight variations in the off stage portions of FD, each stage is essentially the same. This allows you to prepare for a single situation and that is that, this way your record is most accurately reflected to your skill level.

I am so excited to get my hands on this game next week, I am likely to spend a bit of time training against CPU's to unlock characters and learn the game but once I have taken care of that I will be spending 100% of my time in For Glory when not playing with local friends.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Even neutral stages are counterpicks in a sense. A stage with platforms will weaken projectile-dependent characters and strengthen the close-ranged ones because they will have an easier time approaching and comboing. A flat stage with no platforms makes projectile usage much more viable. The shapes of the ledges will make some recoveries better and some worse. There is no such thing as a 100% neutral stage.

That being said, not having Battlefield/Smashville stages as an option will make campy characters like Duck Hunt Dog much better than they actually are. And it will make For Glory into Sudden Death Ending mode since they're now shorter 2 stock 5 minute matches and the campier characters also have the upper hand to begin with.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
The one thing that didn't make me excited about For Glory is that the Smash Direct implied that it'd be Time-only. (as Stock battles was listed in one of the special things you can do only with friends)

But now that they confirmed Stock battles, I'm really happy it's a thing. This is just perfect, Sakurai said he hoped people would enjoy both the Fun and Glory modes, and that's exactly what I'm gonna do. I kinda wish they used more Stocks than just two, but ****, the sole fact the are using stocks is good enough for me, so screw that.

Good job Sakurai.

Ten out of ten.

Would smash online again.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It's not perfect, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. What I've seen of For Glory looks really solid. My concern is the fact that FG only has one stage archetype and how it could skew rankings and favor projectile-heavy characters. It's a great start, though. Hopefully in SSB5 half the stages will have Alpha forms instead of Omega.

Now if we can just get people to realize there're more than just three viable stages...

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I thought it was because of Brawl's online at first (seeing as how that made way more sense than Sakurai not doing his research on competitive play). However then someone posted this article on a thread.

"One of the goals for Super Smash Bros. is that it’s a party game—Nintendo want people to pick it up and have fun together. This is why “For Fun” and “For Glory” modes are separated within the game, to allow for both competitive and casual players to enjoy themselves." -Sakurai

Certainly sounds like he made it with competitive players in mind.

Morbi

Scavenger
I thought it was because of Brawl's online at first (seeing as how that made way more sense than Sakurai not doing his research on competitive play). However then someone posted this article on a thread.

"One of the goals for Super Smash Bros. is that it’s a party game—Nintendo want people to pick it up and have fun together. This is why “For Fun” and “For Glory” modes are separated within the game, to allow for both competitive and casual players to enjoy themselves." -Sakurai

Certainly sounds like he made it with competitive players in mind.
Competitive online warriors perhaps, competitive players that are actually good (#shotsfired) are not going to play online with that filthy net-code.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Could have sworn there was a taunt limit of three times a life. Pretty sure ZeRo tried to taunt a ton but the buttons virtually stopped working after three. Until he died then he was able to do it three times again. There goes the taunt parties.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, For Glory is not only bad, but a little bit embarrassing.

Having a healthy list of no-nonsense stages is a good thing. But those stages don't offer real variety and aren't what competitive players were really looking for -- it satisfies neither casuals nor competitives. It's just a couple dozen flat strips of land.

So why didn't Sakurai throw some platforms and the like onto Omega stages? Because Sakurai has always been a Japan-focused game designer. (It's the reason Japan's most-wanted got better roster representation than the West's most-wanted, and I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed to Japan getting the game weeks before the rest of the world.) And the Japanese competitive scene, if you were unaware, fetishizes Final Destination much more than the West does. I'm sure Sakurai's train of thought went something like this: "Japanese players play competitively almost exclusively on FD? Well then, all competitive players must play almost exclusively on FD!" This sort of oblivious myopia isn't a good quality for a game designer to have.

Omega stages are a great concept, but the execution is dreadful. It doesn't cater to competitive interests and doesn't offer much variety for casual interests. It satisfies a small group of (largely Japanese) players who live and die only on flat strips of land. Barf. What a waste of potential.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
i can't wait to play some for glory next week, but i can't help to say that nintendo missed a big opportunity here for people playing online. First off battfield and pokemon stadium layouts should have been a choice to for glory mode other thanjust final destination and i really wish there was a battle point/grading system (like street fighter 4) in ranked matches just to sort of have more of an incentive to play ranked other than learning matches and just playing

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
I'm 100% fine with flat stages and prefer them. I believe they are the most neutral stages and should be the standard for tier list and matchup considerations.

Perhaps the game can be updated to add "alpha mode" for each stage for a battlefield layout, but I would still prefer the omega versions.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
To be honest, For Glory is not only bad, but a little bit embarrassing.

Having a healthy list of no-nonsense stages is a good thing. But those stages don't offer real variety and aren't what competitive players were really looking for -- it satisfies neither casuals nor competitives. It's just a couple dozen flat strips of land.

So why didn't Sakurai throw some platforms and the like onto Omega stages? Because Sakurai has always been a Japan-focused game designer. (It's the reason Japan's most-wanted got better roster representation than the West's most-wanted, and I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed to Japan getting the game weeks before the rest of the world.) And the Japanese competitive scene, if you were unaware, fetishizes Final Destination much more than the West does. I'm sure Sakurai's train of thought went something like this: "Japanese players play competitively almost exclusively on FD? Well then, all competitive players must play almost exclusively on FD!" This sort of oblivious myopia isn't a good quality for a game designer to have.

Omega stages are a great concept, but the execution is dreadful. It doesn't cater to competitive interests and doesn't offer much variety for casual interests. It satisfies a small group of (largely Japanese) players who live and die only on flat strips of land. Barf. What a waste of potential.
The reason it is released in japan first is because it is made in japan...by the japanese. He isn't fetishizing japan. Japan is his home market. He's going to listen to them first because they are the first feedback they get.

And lets be real, as a whole projectile users have been nerfed with all the anti-projectile moves out there now, quite a few characters have them. People may think twice about using projectiles to camp all the damn time when we have characters like villager, Rosalina, Palutena, etc etc around to block/reflect those projectiles all day.

Yeah it would be better if the game had more neutral stages and if they were used in for glory, but be grateful that we have a random match maker type mode that caters to competitive play at all, won't you, dear? It's sure as hell a lot better than what we had.

Last edited:

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
Japan is his home market. He's going to listen to them first because they are the first feedback they get.
I don't know what this means. Nintendo is based in Japan but sells product internationally. Smash sells better abroad.

And lets be real, as a whole projectile users have been nerfed
On the contrary, many of the best early-impression characters incorporate projectiles into their playstyle- Villager, Greninja, Duck Hunt, ROB, Robin, and Pac-Man to name a few. We'll see what anti-campers like Rosalina do to the metagame.

be grateful
I'll be grateful when Reggie comes to my door and hands me a WiiU, Gamecube adapter set, and copy of Smash 4 for free. Until then, I'm a potential paying customer who has standards.

I believe [flat stages] are the most neutral stages
You're factually mistaken.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
I don't know what this means. Nintendo is based in Japan but sells product internationally. Smash sells better abroad.

On the contrary, many of the best early-impression characters incorporate projectiles into their playstyle- Villager, Greninja, Duck Hunt, ROB, Robin, and Pac-Man to name a few. We'll see what anti-campers like Rosalina do to the metagame.

I'll be grateful when Reggie comes to my door and hands me a WiiU, Gamecube adapter set, and copy of Smash 4 for free. Until then, I'm a potential paying customer who has standards.

You're factually mistaken.
A potential paying customer that obviously is interested in the product regardless, seeing how you are on this board talking about it.

All I am saying is Sakurai is japanese, so he pays attention to the japanese market first, even if the game sells better else where. Nintendo has always been like this, to be honest.

As for projectiles, they will always be a big part of the competitive scene, but there are far more methods to deal with them now then before, so they are far more manageable than they used to be.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Inability to use custom moves is arguably worse than FD only. I'm hoping that both are addressed later on, but realistically I'm guessing Omega mode will always be all-FD.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Inability to use custom moves is arguably worse than FD only. I'm hoping that both are addressed later on, but realistically I'm guessing Omega mode will always be all-FD.
I full-heartily agree with this. Custom moves not being in for glory is more of a robbery than just FD being available is in my book.

Gasp, I guess we will just have to...idk...interact with other humans in order to get proper matches going. The horror. (Everyone here seems like cool cats though, so I am fully prepared to challenge people to matches....I just hope I can get to tournaments eventually.)

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
A potential paying customer that obviously is interested in the product regardless, seeing how you are on this board talking about it.

All I am saying is Sakurai is japanese, so he pays attention to the japanese market first, even if the game sells better else where. Nintendo has always been like this, to be honest.

As for projectiles, they will always be a big part of the competitive scene, but there are far more methods to deal with them now then before, so they are far more manageable than they used to be.
Of course I'm interested in the product. Whether or not I'll fork over hundreds of dollars for it remains to be seen, but regardless, customers have every right to be critical of questionable decisions. Dozens of flat strips of land instead of a more interesting array of competitively viable stages is one of those questionable decisions.

Yes, Sakurai is Japanese. Yes, this probably influences his Japan-centric view. It's also a flaw with him as a game designer -- for a global success like Smash, it's important for a lead developer to cater to all audiences, not just one market (and a relatively small market at that!).

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
I don't really mind the omega for glory stages. Though Alpha (battlefield layout) would have be a pretty keen Idea. This game is very likely to recieve updates however so I guess it can still be done, though I doubt it will be.

I'm just glad it's an option however.

Top Bottom