• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I dont think i can play kirby anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

D day

Smash Rookie
I used to love kirby in melee because he was low tier, but had so many tricks up his sleeve. I guess its good that he's buffed now, but they've removed all the things that made kirby fun for me to play(kirbycide swallowcide), does anyone else feel the same?

P.S i know you can still swallocide but i dont like it now that you both die on contact

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
P.S i know you can still swallocide but i dont like it now that you both die on contact
I'm guessing you don't know about the swallocide follow up with a footstool jump I see. Well, when you get the game, you should do that, it's kind of safer than a swallocide in Melee. Even if you have a foe that want to not struggle, they will still break free faster than they would in Melee. Ture that the only Kirbycide is a swallowcide now, but Kirby improvements can make you not stoop to desperate levels, (or you can do it for fun. XD).

Ekimaster

Smash Cadet
I don't mind the changes at all. In fact, I like them. I rarely used any kirbycides, and I was just annoyed over the throws failing and killing only me (when I never even wanted to kirbycide).

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Kirby never had sleeves. That's why his Melee forms were terrible.

In my experienced opinion on Kirby, I believe that Kirby not only had improved, but believe he has gain more tricks than he lost. If you think Kirby is only a Suicide Machine, you'll be wrong. Kirby is a unique character we choose because of our love of the disadvantage. Of course there would be more of a advantages in the disadvantages sometimes, but Kirby over all is much more than a SwallowCide. Kirby to me means the control of a character with unique disadvantages where I can sharpen the flaws of his loss into a character who just wins.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm happy with what they've done with Kirby. In fact, I told people that I hoped they'd take out Kirbycides (except Swallowcide) and make Kirby a better fighter overall.

This might be strange coming from me, so you're probably wondering why I think this.

Super Smash Bros. may be the greatest fighting game ever to grace our lives, but it is still a fighting game. It's bound by some semblance of balance and game mechanics. If an attack can KO someone at any given percent, even at 0%, then it either has to be next-to-impossible to pull off or have extreme drawbacks to it.

This is why Kirby's b-throw and f-throw were "escapable" (making it "next-to-impossible" to Kirbycide at low percents), and there's always a good chance you'd be losing a stock on any given Kirbycide (extreme drawback). This is the attempts to "balance" Kirbycides.

Also, Kirby was such a poor fighter in Melee because of these abilities. He was suppose to be seen as weak and pretty much useless at first, but then you realize that Kirby can build a little damage and go for "cheap" KOs with throws, Swallow, and spikes and suddenly he's as good or better than everyone else. Well, we saw how this ended up working out.

But all this balancing issue really didn't take into account the "fighting" aspect of Smash. It really is contradictory to have a character who is terrible at fighting but good at eliminating entire stocks at once. I'd much rather have Kirby be able to combo, evade, and enjoy the fracas as much as any other character while retaining his unique playstyle and cuteness. I think this is what they realized when remaking Kirby for Brawl.

In short, I'm happy to see how Kirby is turning out in Brawl more than I saw with either Smash-64 or Melee.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
A beautiful sentiment. :)

Every character has their unique abilities and fighting styles. But we can't help but know that the system was messily bias toward speedy and fast attacking characters in Melee (but not purposely).

So Sakurai took away his Kirbicides, but he balanced Kirby as much as possible. Kirby is a little less unique (fireball, kirbicides, jumping), and yet there are many people who don't consider Kirby a threat or a usable character Because he is no longer as unique and his previous low tier status keeps the feeling. But Kirby IS a threat, he's a better player than he was before. And he is still unique with or without these techniques because in their places he has new and fun toys that are more dependable- where your heart won't have to race, thinking "will it work?"

Is it fun to accept defeat 80~90% of your battles for 7 ongoing years?

Now with this buffed Kirby, you no longer have to.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
I have to hand out my props to the Kirby players that are choosing to stay with him.Iam the same way about Mario even tho people rip on him about being this and that according what tiers say,I can care less in that reguard.As I said in the past,I dont care if they give Mario 1 button attacking only that shoots fireballs and hit for 1%,Ill still use him. :)

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
may i ask what a footstool jump is?
Footstool Jump:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique03.html

I'm guessing you don't know about the swallocide follow up with a footstool jump I see. Well, when you get the game, you should do that, it's kind of safer than a swallocide in Melee. Even if you have a foe that want to not struggle, they will still break free faster than they would in Melee. Ture that the only Kirbycide is a swallowcide now, but Kirby improvements can make you not stoop to desperate levels, (or you can do it for fun. XD).

Kicks

Smash Rookie
if "all the fun things" is just Kirbycide... I dunno what to tell you.

D day

Smash Rookie
Maybe its more important for tournament players to have a better all around character, but when it comes to playing with my friends it was so fun to listen to how much they thought kirby sucks, only for me to catch them off guard with a grab and a swallocide were i make it back to the stage.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
I agree with T!mmy, and I do remember like a year ago when I said that Kirby needed his kirbycides gone and his other stats buffed. I am glad that his throws are reliable as throws now and not kirbycidable.

Swallowcides are fun though ja ja ja so I am glad that it is back at least, seeing as it was the only kirbycide that I ever did in melee.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely sticking with Kirby. He was my first character in Smash 64 ever and I've loved him all these years.

I don't need to say much about his improvements because everyone else said it all but his being buffed is anything but a bad thing. He never had any "tricks" in Melee and I'm glad that people will finally go back to taking him more serious as a fighter instead of a suicide character. He's finally back to his old self and there's nothing wrong with that. Plus, I doubt he'll be top tier. He's just moved up, which is always a good thing.

Also, Kirby's new infinite jump = complete win at life

Dustlord

Smash Cadet
I liked Kirby being able to make suicide kills, but there's also some advantages to taking the Kirbycides out. I want to say they did it to make it less frustrating for everyone. I played Melee with my friends a few days ago, and I played Kirby almost every match. Now, my friend is usually a really calm guy, but something about Kirby brought out the worst in him.

In one 4 stock match, he played as Shiek and took out my other friend friend fast (Home Run bat smash x 3, kinda surprising really.) He switches to Zelda, knocks me off the stage, and tries to follow up with her ridiculously strong aerial kick (I forget if it's fair or bair). I know this, so I swallow her in the air and just plan to fall into the abyss. As soon as I do this, he ends the match (which really surprised me.) Now, my other friend thinks me swallowing him was ok, but the Zelda player disagrees.

I won several matches with kirbycides (and a flatzone match with swallow and spit ^^), and he starts saying stuff like, "is that all you ever do?"

Then, after another match where I win with a Kirbycide, he shuts the Wii off in frustration right as I throw him off! It's really not like him to do that.

So yeah, even though I thought it was ok, he kept callling it cheap and stupid, while my other friend thought it would be ok if the only suicide was a swallowcide. But I will miss grabbing someone on the last stock and saying, "Goodbye!" right before I send us both into the abyss.

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
I never really used swallow side/Kirby side in all my years of playing. I was the best in my hood when 64 was out and i was really annoyed when i had to struggle through melee and face many embarrasing defeats to people that i defeated easily in 64. I couldn't use any other character since i'm only good with Kirby and O.K. with G&W. All-in-all i'm very glad that they buffed him and returned him to his 64 roots.

JFunk

Smash Rookie
I was feeling the same as you at first. But then I realized that it was for the better. But look on the bright side, now people can't say we're cheap. I like the improvements to Kirby, and the Swallow to Footstool is great. =]

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
All throwcides did for me was make my friends call me a ****. Now, my friends won't call me a **** anymore. Everyone wins, eh?

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
All throwcides did for me was make my friends call me a ****. Now, my friends won't call me a **** anymore. Everyone wins, eh?
Happened to me too i would constantly hear "OMG don't xhoose kirby he's a cheater character"
Though i won't miss the suicides now that he is hopefully(sakurai willing) middle tier

Crescent_Sun

Smash Apprentice
There's no reason to give up on a character cause they lost one cheap trick, thats just close minded.
I only ever used kirbycide for fun, never for a serious match
It is rather cheap, but it's nothing too serious, it's not like its impossible to escape or anything
I'm just glad they brought out the best in him in brawl, his combos
Kirby's one of the characters im going to keep using, so keep your faith too

Lonestar_Phoenixxx

Smash Rookie
Maybe its more important for tournament players to have a better all around character, but when it comes to playing with my friends it was so fun to listen to how much they thought kirby sucks, only for me to catch them off guard with a grab and a swallocide were i make it back to the stage.
jeffs the man.
thats all there is to say.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I used to love kirby in melee because he was low tier, but had so many tricks up his sleeve. I guess its good that he's buffed now, but they've removed all the things that made kirby fun for me to play(kirbycide swallowcide), does anyone else feel the same?

Kirby's inhale is much better now, example, instead of falling fast u can spit ur opponent under the stage and Bair, Uair, or Bup them against the stage for a stage spike. Instead of losing a stock by swallowciding u kill ur opponent's stock and keep ur own, that sounds better to me

CompassTosser

Smash Apprentice
Holy S***. I haven't played melee in over 5 months because I've been busy with Brawl, but I just pulled it out a few days a go and now I realize how different Kirby was. I seriously felt like a n00b again. I had absolutely no idea what the hell I was doing. I think you're losing your mind if you're just gonna drop Kirby like that.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Holy S***. I haven't played melee in over 5 months because I've been busy with Brawl, but I just pulled it out a few days a go and now I realize how different Kirby was. I seriously felt like a n00b again. I had absolutely no idea what the hell I was doing. I think you're losing your mind if you're just gonna drop Kirby like that.
Heh. I had stopped playing smash for a bit before Brawl came out, and when Brawl did come out, I didn't notice anything different. Then after a while I tried Melee again, and it felt like a completely different game, I mean, like going from a FPS to an adventure game.

I think the hardest part is not getting used to how different Kirby is in the games, but how the very physics of Melee are so different. I find myself short hopping (which is harder to do in Melee it seems) and trying to attack immediately, but you can't input the attack immediately, you have to wait a split second before attacking after the jump.

I still pull out Melee every so often to play a little, and I suck @_@ I can't even imagine how I used to dominate level 9 computer players like I did back then, and that was before I even knew stuff like swallowcides and L-cancelling...

I hope the next Smash game, if they make one, takes the best aspects of each game and combines them...and doesn't have tripping...

Why WAS this bumped o.o

The_Blue_Bomber

Smash Journeyman
You cant be a real Kirby player if you're going to drop him just because he cant suicide-kill as well anymore. Kirby is much more than Kirbicides. I think T!mmy pretty much summed everything up on the first page though.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman

Goodness. All this because of a kirbycide and a tier change...Enjoy your inferiority complex.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I've decided i too can no longer play Kirby and have decided to switch mains to Ike since he is obviously top tier and better than Marth because he's way stronger and has 73|-| p|-|1r3
Wow. Please never say things like that.

The Pink Mist

Smash Rookie
I've decided i too can no longer play Kirby and have decided to switch mains to Ike since he is obviously top tier and better than Marth because he's way stronger and has 73|-| p|-|1r3

i hope your being sarcastic...

Ike is not cleearly better than marth by any means. speed means a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom