• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ I don't see the logic in the Ness argument ~

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
To this day, people still baffle me.

"Oh noes, Lucas is in, now Ness is GONE!!1"

Seriously, someone give me one good reason why Ness will be replaced. I have several for why he will still be in, however:

1: He is a very original character.
2: He has a decent fanbase
...and, the king of all the reasons:
3: He was in SSB64 AND Melee!

Who in their right mind would replace Ness, an original, likable character from SSB64, with some other kid who appears to be exactly the same?

*head explodes from the stupidity of this situation*

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
To this day, people still baffle me.

"Oh noes, Lucas is in, now Ness is GONE!!1"

Seriously, someone give me one good reason why Ness will be replaced. I have several for why he will still be in, however:

1: He is a very original character.
2: He has a decent fanbase
...and, the king of all the reasons:
3: He was in SSB64 AND Melee!

Who in their right mind would replace Ness, an original, likable character from SSB64, with some other kid who appears to be exactly the same?

*head explodes from the stupidity of this situation*
Because he's the same ****ing thing as Lucas. God does it really matter if he has black hair or blonde hair?? Yes, that's a great idea let's waste another roster slot with a character that's already pratically in the game. I hope Ness gets the boot and Sakurai is out of his mind if they put him in along with Lucas.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Because he's the same ****ing thing as Lucas. God does it really matter if he has black hair or blonde hair?? Yes, that's a great idea let's waste another roster slot with a character that's already pratically in the game. I hope Ness gets the boot and Sakurai is out of his mind if they put him in along with Lucas.
You don't even know his full moveset to draw such conclusions so STFU, and to the topic creator there are many threads on this my friend just keep your fingers crossed!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can never understand that myself. Ness is just as important since he's the main character in Earthbound.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
How do we know he's the same thing? Were moves revealed? I think NOT!

For all we know they may be complete opposites. Or, simply Luigified clones.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
How do we know he's the same thing? Were moves revealed? I think NOT!

For all we know they may be complete opposites. Or, simply Luigified clones.
Get over yourself, they are going to be the same thing. Would you rather have another original character or another dorky clone of a kid?

That's what I thought.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Get over yourself, they are going to be the same thing. Would you rather have another original character or another dorky clone of a kid?

That's what I thought.
You must be high if you think Ness is leaving. There's no way that any of the original 12 fighters would get ditched.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I agree with only because Sakauri MENTIONED Ness in the Lucas update

Remember: "Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!"

That is exactly why that Ness is not deconfirmed like how all the n00bs jumping to conclusions. I won't mind a Ness getting revenge on Lucas for the replacement that could of happened and the betrayel of the Mother series to the fans in America. I can already picture lots of Earthbound fans using Ness to mindlessly attack Lucas in training mode or something.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
that thing that Sakurai said could go either way...

it could mean that they are different and playable in Brawl

it could mean that Ness isnt in Brawl anymore and he was comparing Lucas now to Ness back in Melee and 64...besides Ness was going to be cut anyway since Melee...he just got LUCKY because of the release date of Mother 3...besides Lucas is basically a blonde Ness that cant find his backpack and hat...

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
You must be high if you think Ness is leaving. There's no way that any of the original 12 fighters would get ditched.
Yes, because the HOLY 12 of Super Smash Brothers is untouchable, I think I should go to my Ness shrine to worship him some more :psycho:

Ness and Lucas are clones of each other in their respective MOTHER games. Sure Ness could have a unique moveset by stealing moves from his party members, but I'd honestly rather see Ness be an alt costume of Lucas to make room for other unique MOTHER/Earthbound characters, I think it silly to waste a moveslot on Ness when an alt costume would be just fine.

-Knight

vesperview

Smash Hero
Yes, because the HOLY 12 of Super Smash Brothers is untouchable, I think I should go to my Ness shrine to worship him some more :psycho:

Ness and Lucas are clones of each other in their respective MOTHER games. Sure Ness could have a unique moveset by stealing moves from his party members, but I'd honestly rather see Ness be an alt costume of Lucas to make room for other unique MOTHER/Earthbound characters, I think it silly to waste a moveslot on Ness when an alt costume would be just fine.

-Knight
What alt costume? they haven't even said if that is going to be in the game, plus people come up with such outrageous suggestions when it comes to costumes: "Oh let's not have Falco in brawl he can be a fox alt costume" three words: What the ****? same thing here, Lucas can't be Ness and Ness can't be Lucas.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Falco being a Fox alt is ********

Ness being a Lucas alt makes some sense...cuz if you comb his hair, dye it and give him a backpack and a cap...Lucas IS Ness...

there is no way Falco can impersonate a fox....no way...

and alternates arent confirmed but neither are so many things ppl want...so now we cant want alternate costumes cuz they arent confirmed or we cant like any of the hundreds of things we would like to see in Brawl cuz its not on the Dojo?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
What alt costume? they haven't even said if that is going to be in the game, plus people come up with such outrageous suggestions when it comes to costumes: "Oh let's not have Falco in brawl he can be a fox alt costume" three words: What the ****? same thing here, Lucas can't be Ness and Ness can't be Lucas.
I don't remember Sakurai having a how to play on dashing I guess as of right now I don't know if it'll be in the game.

Ness dyes his hair, changes clothes = :D oh my it's Lucas :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Oh well if people are such crazed Ness fans; I don't really know what to say really. As of now I don't think Ness has a good shot of making it in, but if he does he's moveset but be so ****ing unique it makes my head spin because I'm not going to put up with a character stealing other's move sjust to make himself look unique when you could just add those characters themselves.

-Knight

vesperview

Smash Hero
Falco being a Fox alt is ********

Ness being a Lucas alt makes some sense...cuz if you comb his hair, dye it and give him a backpack and a cap...Lucas IS Ness...

there is no way Falco can impersonate a fox....no way...

and alternates arent confirmed but neither are so many things ppl want...so now we cant want alternate costumes cuz they arent confirmed or we cant like any of the hundreds of things we would like to see in Brawl cuz its not on the Dojo?
What I say is that everybody thinks alt costume is the answer like it's already in the game, and since they are not dying Lucas's hair nor giving him a backpack he can't be ness, plus alt costumes would be something like Mario turning into Dr. Mario, not Mario turning into Luigi just because is just like stretching Mario and giving him a green cap with an L and a green shirt.

Sinn

Smash Lord

That's what I thought.
Oh good. I've been saying we should get rid of Luigi for years now. All he does it waste a character spot that could be used for an original character. I'm glad that the Mario update confirms that he's not going to return in this game since he's just like him in every way since their games first began. Phew. What a relief.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
but thats the thing....Lucas and Ness share every aspect of their appearance EXCEPT for their hair color and certain clothing choices(hat)...so it is essentially the same as a Mario/Dr. Mario situation...cuz all Mario does is take off his cap, puts on that doctor thing, puts on a white coat and thats it....

Mario/Luigi is another ******** one because there are physical differences between the two and it is VERY easy to make a moveset that sets the two apart...Ninten, Ness and Lucas are the SAME THING...just w/ a slightly different appearance...

vesperview

Smash Hero
but thats the thing....Lucas and Ness share every aspect of their appearance EXCEPT for their hair color and certain clothing choices(hat)...so it is essentially the same as a Mario/Dr. Mario situation...cuz all Mario does is take off his cap, puts on that doctor thing, puts on a white coat and thats it....

Mario/Luigi is another ******** one because there are physical differences between the two and it is VERY easy to make a moveset that sets the two apart...Ninten, Ness and Lucas are the SAME THING...just w/ a slightly different appearance...
Eh... my point in case you don't get is that Mario and Dr Mario with or without the scrubs is still Mario same doesn't go for Lucas and Ness can't you get it?

Sinn

Smash Lord

Luigi is a little taller and jumps slightly higher. Giant whoop. What's you're point? How is it any easier to come up with two unique movesets for two nearly identical characters in one instance (Mario & Luigi), and yet NOT for two others (Ness & Lucas)?

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Ness will not be in. I think the thing about Ness in the update stated that pretty clearly. If Ness was in in would be like putting Stanley or Jump Man into the game.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Ness will not be in. I think the thing about Ness in the update stated that pretty clearly. If Ness was in in would be like putting Stanley or Jump Man into the game.
Who the **** is Stanley and the Jump Man? and I don't see the point of your argument, his statement can mean two things:

- Either Lucas is a better Ness and therefore they didn't feel like he deserved a spot in the roster.

- Wait til the game's release to test the strength of these two in a face to face match.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No...It wouldn't...

blerb

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is a little taller and jumps slightly higher. Giant whoop. What's you're point? How is it any easier to come up with two unique movesets for two nearly identical characters in one instance (Mario & Luigi), and yet NOT for two others (Ness & Lucas)?
because that would make too much sense. we need it to be as ******** as possible.

D

Deleted member

But Ness is one of the originals from the first and, that is what disappoints me the most. It is like the 4 Horseman without Ric Flair. Just not right in my opinion.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
I'm just throwing this out there...I know pyro and he's not a ness player/fan/whatever so whoever was saying that he worshiped ness was wrong... And because I didn't come here to post pointless stuff, it would be totally strange for them to replace an origonal character with someone exactly like him. It'd be like them replacing mario with dr mario. I think (and hope) that lucas will be something like a luigified ness, or even better a completely origonal character.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
my point was that, why would they put in an early version of a character when the newer version has already been confirmed? I.E. putting in Jump Man alongside Mario. Like, if there were a smash bros WAY back when. and Jump Man was in it. then a mario game came out, then mario was confirmed for the next smash bros., would it make sense to put in jump man? I realize the Mario-Jumpman doesn't = Ness-Lucas exactly, but it is pretty much the case.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I'm just throwing this out there...I know pyro and he's not a ness player/fan/whatever so whoever was saying that he worshiped ness was wrong... And because I didn't come here to post pointless stuff, it would be totally strange for them to replace an origonal character with someone exactly like him. It'd be like them replacing mario with dr mario. I think (and hope) that lucas will be something like a luigified ness, or even better a completely origonal character.
He can't be quite as original as we would want since he uses PSI just like Ness but hopefully they will figure out a way to not make them the same.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
my point was that, why would they put in an early version of a character when the newer version has already been confirmed? I.E. putting in Jump Man alongside Mario. Like, if there were a smash bros WAY back when. and Jump Man was in it. then a mario game came out, then mario was confirmed for the next smash bros., would it make sense to put in jump man? I realize the Mario-Jumpman doesn't = Ness-Lucas exactly, but it is pretty much the case.
Jumpman IS Mario though and...

Stanley the Bugman

Stanley the Bugman, as he appears in the arcade artwork for Donkey Kong 3Stanley the Bugman was the protagonist in the arcade, NES, and Game & Watch versions of Nintendo's video game, Donkey Kong 3 and Nintendo's Game & Watch game, Greenhouse. He is evidently a botanist or gardener, or perhaps an exterminator. Not much is known about him, but he is said to be the cousin or friend of Mario. His overalls and shoes bear much resemblance to those of Mario and Luigi. No official games starring Stanley were made after Donkey Kong 3, but he did appear as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee and on a poster in Super Mario Sunshine. He also made a special guest appearance on an episode of the Donkey Kong shorts shown on the Saturday Supercade.

Has to do with what...?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
[Replacing Ness with Lucas would] be like them replacing mario with dr mario.
To be fair. . . no, it wouldn't.

Mario is Mr. Video Game. Quite probably THE most recognizable video game character EVER. Dr. Mario is a lame alter ego of him. Ness and Lucas are different characters, each having technically only been in one game, neither of which being anymore vital to their franchise than the other. They're on pretty even ground as far as that goes, I think.

You could say that Ness has an advantage, being the only Mother Rep to cross the big blue, but Lucas has the advantage of saying "Well, since I'm in, maybe my Mother game will make it out of Japan too. Like Fire Emblem".

Still, all this Ness deconfirmation nonsense is a bunch of. . . well, nonsense. Let's at least wait for an actual special moves update before we start signaling any warning bells.

vesperview

Smash Hero
To be fair. . . no, it wouldn't.

Mario is Mr. Video Game. Quite probably THE most recognizable video game character EVER. Dr. Mario is a lame alter ego of him. Ness and Lucas are different characters, each having technically only been in one game, neither of which being anymore vital to their franchise than the other. They're on pretty even ground as far as that goes, I think.

You could say that Ness has an advantage, being the only Mother Rep to cross the big blue, but Lucas has the advantage of saying "Well, since I'm in, maybe my Mother game will make it out of Japan too. Like Fire Emblem".

Still, all this Ness deconfirmation nonsense is a bunch of. . . well, nonsense. Let's at least wait for an actual special moves update before we start signaling any warning bells.
Finally a coherent post.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman

That's what I thought.
As long as there aren't anymore versions of fuggin Link you're pulling for, I agree.

That said, Lucas doesn't have to be a Ness clone. So go Ness.

Drake3

Smash Ace
This is starting to give me a headache and I'm going to start throwing random things at SWF members. Why can't they give Lucas OTHER attacks from Earthbound? Oooo giving a character attacks they never had, never seen THAT done before. :rolleyes:

Sinn

Smash Lord
This is starting to give me a headache and I'm going to start throwing random things at SWF members. Why can't they give Lucas OTHER attacks from Earthbound? Oooo giving a character attacks they never had, never seen THAT done before. :rolleyes:
Hell, ALL of Ness's specials from 64 were moves HE NEVER HAD. Like I've said before, if Lucas actually HAD these moves, it makes a lot of sense to give them to him and then give Ness a new moveset that actually its with his character. PK Flash was the only move Ness actually had in EarthBound.

Let it be known by all that THIS was my 1,000th post. w00t.

Top Bottom